AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Minecraft Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 48 of 49 First Previous 44 45 46 47 [48] 49  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2011-04-08, 12:51

Thanks Drew.

I have to make some decisions on floors and entryways still, but now that the basic structure is there I'm happy. I felt like BP could use a lighter looking tower, hopefully others feel the same.

Thanks to Brad (thanks again!) donating some glowstone to the project it really looks great at night. Hopefully I can get away with minimal torches in this one, as it'll be mostly glass, sandstone and wool.

afa "beginning," it really doesn't take that long to get up to speed. We all started with cobble and dirt, and it took me my first full day to find the resources to make a fucking torch. Really, we've all only been at it for a few months now, so I hope that anybody lurking and thinking about joining won't be put off by how "advanced" we are, and now that there's a community in place you can start off a little easier by getting some starter donations. Join, give yourself a couple weeks, and you'll be 90% as "advanced" as any of us.

So it goes.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-08, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Aha. All good then. I don't need any more space - just that the exterior wall will be right on that edge and I feel bad about towering over your project. But if that's what you're going for...
Will there be that one-square-wide row to walk on (the row where all the torches are) between your theater and my pit? I moved my chests further into my area, just in case.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-08, 13:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Will there be that one-square-wide row to walk on (the row where all the torches are) between your theater and my pit? I moved my chests further into my area, just in case.

Ummm. no. All the way to that edge. I can't really go any further the other way as I'm up against Thunderpoits new farm building.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-08, 13:12

Quote:
Ummm. no. All the way to that edge. I can't really go any further the other way as I'm up against Thunderpoits new farm building.
OK.

Just build what you want, and I'll adjust my grid if I need to. I'll probably move it over at least one square, just so that anyone trying to get around your theater won't have to go down into my garden and then back out the other side, or all the way around my garden. It'd be a lot easier to move it over four squares, though...and that'd be enough room for a sidewalk...I'll have to see how that would look from the skyway, but I think that's what I'll do. No big

EDIT: I moved it all over four squares so there will be room for a sidewalk. Are we doing cobblestone or smooth stone walks?

Can't wait to see your finished theater.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Last edited by Robo : 2011-04-08 at 14:46.

addabox
Veteran Member

2011-04-08, 14:10

As an interested bystander with no more insight into MC than having watched some entertaining You Tube videos, I'm fascinated by the nascent issues of urban planning and zoning that are cropping up as open space becomes ever more scarce in the central area.

My guess? You'll all end up living in the lower, lightless levels of Billybobsky's ghastly machine world.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-04-08, 14:24

lol

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-04-08, 15:27

yes, he is an industrious fellow.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-08, 16:47

Yeah, space really is getting tighter with the move of us building up Bridgeport. I'm now working out how I can improve the Stairs of Insanity and build up an above ground structure in BP. I'm actually really thinking about this projects. Maybe throw some aluminum siding up on the Stairs.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-04-08, 16:49

I just read the developer is going to rake in about $23M... why... why can I not come up with one of these ideas. Angry birds... sling-shot birds into pigs surrounded by wood planks and stuff. Minecraft... take 1980s graphics and let users create a community of mazes to avoid spiders. WTF!

That's it man... if one of us isn't filthy fucking rich by the end of next year, I'm going to recommend we shut ourselves down so we can go sit in the corner for six months and ponder the Next Big Thing ™.

...into the light of a dark black night.

¡Damned!

2011-04-08, 19:20

I know, right? It's almost to the point of having a MinecraftNova sub-forum. Could be cool to have a thread dedicated to map updates since I'm forever trying to go back and find those posts. Maybe even a zoning thread where we can feel out possible land grabs / map expansion. A thread with just project pics would be nice too. Requests for material donations and/or help on projects, planned events (like Burning Stalfos, for example), and the most frequented thread of all; ZOMG SERVER IS DOWN. BRAD! WAKE UP TURTLE!

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2011-04-08 at 19:30.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-08, 19:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
So this is just a new drive, right? Not the new processor?
Not the new processor. EDIT: Curses, beaten by Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I know, right? It's almost to the point of having a MinecraftNova sub-forum. Could be cool to have a thread dedicated to map updates since I'm forever trying to go back and find those posts. Maybe even a zoning thread where we can feel out possible land grabs / map expansion. A thread with just project pics would be nice too.
Well, there is that Creative Endeavors forum, I suppose. I agree that one 1,700-post thread for all things Minecraft-related isn't ideal.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-04-08, 20:30

I think I'll finally be able to play a little tonight, first time in a while.

I suspect you guys are gonna load test this new server configuration hard tonight!

User formally known as Sh0eWax

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-04-08, 20:49

Can vBulletin handle subforums? If so, maybe a Minecraft server subforum under Creative Endeavours or AO would be a more ideal solution than one-thread-fits-all.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-08, 20:51

Yes. Already brought this up a few pages and said I'm considering it. Chill, folks.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2011-04-08, 21:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Ah, I missed that in the flurry of posts in the last couple days. I think this thread has been getting more traffic over the last few weeks than the rest of the forum combined.
What do you guys chat about while you work the mines together? Or is just all work?

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-08, 21:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
What do you guys chat about while you work the mines together? Or is just all work?
It's tough to chat and work at the same time. It's also tough to have any sort of coordinated chat on minecraft since everyone is talking at once unless you use /tell or /l.

Also, were not all on at the same time. With the forum you'll see the message even if you aren't online.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-08, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
It's 90% wisecracks and bad puns. So, just like here, really. Only with a few miner differences.

Bonn89

2011-04-08, 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
It's 90% wisecracks and bad puns. So, just like here, really. Only with a few miner differences.
And lots of "that's what she said" jokes. There also used to be a trend of harassing Brad over causing wildfires, but those jokes burned out, if you catch my drift.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-04-09, 00:10

Guys, I have a small request. Whoever is next to the proposed site of Flaming Arrow/Chaps/unnamed 3rd bar (should be Robo and two others), could you all mark off where your property ends or could end? I'd like to know what exact dimensions I have with which to work when I get back Sunday. Thanks!

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-09, 00:24

I'm opposite I think. (Yours are the cobble foundations, yes?). Anyway, I've marked my site with a 3 or 4 high dirt tower in each corner and a 2 high dirt stack marking centre on the short axes. The wood shack is just a Portakabin to use until it's done.

I have, finally, finished the library. I just have some minor landscaping to do to hide the remains of the farms I used for materials, and I need to empty the working chests, but that's it.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-04-09, 00:30

Cobble things aren't mine. Assuming K's. If they are, I may have taken land that was K's without knowing. I've moved down the hill towards some trees and Robo's a bit, but knowing for certain would help.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-09, 01:47

I'll give some money!!!

So far I have been extending and upgrading my cobble "treetop walkway" which departs Old Towne and extends out toward the water. Along the way I've been learning to mine sand and to make certain items (doors, ladders, fences, glass, etc) and with that knowledge I've been making tweaks to the bridge to make it look a bit nicer... swapping out rustic materials for slightly finer materials.

Down at the beach I've been mining sand, but attempting to make that a subtle endeavor.

I'm intrigued by glowstone and think that I ought to consider skinning one thing in that material.

All in all, the things I've been doing are working themselves toward each other and will resolve in one ju-ju-flop of a fraptastic doohingle.

Several sunsets ago I was VERY popular... 2 zombies, 2 creepers, at least 1 skellie and some cows. The creepers hung around the next day, but they were gone after another little while... at least, they're not very OBVIOUS anymore.

So now I'm turning in... super late!!!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-09, 12:27

Experimenting with Excel as a design tool. Here's the preliminaries for the Bridgeport Grand Theatre:

Seems pretty cool so far.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-09, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Guys, I have a small request. Whoever is next to the proposed site of Flaming Arrow/Chaps/unnamed 3rd bar (should be Robo and two others), could you all mark off where your property ends or could end? I'd like to know what exact dimensions I have with which to work when I get back Sunday. Thanks!
I started building the sidewalk that will go between your place and my place, my place and Bryson's theater, and potentially Bryson's theater and whatever that cobblestone foundation is, connecting us to the rest of the town. It might not be complete when you get on, but the shallow trench I'm building the sidewalk in is. So you can build right up to that. I marked the exact line with a row of three torches in the little sand pit at the base of the hill.

If you need more space, I can probably give you one more row by redesigning the stairs leading into my garden. Just let me know.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-04-09, 14:47

Quote:
Experimenting with Excel as a design tool.
Oh. My. Fucking. God. This makes my heart sob. It's like the PowerPoint slideshows I get sent by family, instead of them just putting the pictures directly as attachments.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

(BTW, your cells aren't square...)

Maybe an actual grid design tool would be better? http://minecraftstructureplanner.com/

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-09, 16:27

Ooo!
I downloaded the JAR and ran it. Fairly decent tool, though I don't understand the 3D Projection tool... all I've seen so far is a field without features even though I've used sandstone on multiple layers. Hrm.

What other tools could you use? I could see possibly doing it in Illustrator, though that wouldn't give me the 3D tool (that I can't get to work in the JAR).

Bryson,
Will you stock the theatre with helmets with wings on the top, Valkyrie swords and long spears?
Will there be a sign ANYWHERE in the theatre that says "Kill de wabbit"??

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-09, 17:04

Works for me, that's why. And Excel is installed on my work machine, whereas Structure planner never will be...

The non-squareness of the cells is an artefact of the Mac-PC transfer. What works in one does not quite work in the other. (and, I have no idea what units Excel uses, but 20 high rows are not the same distance as 20 wide columns...)

I tried the planner before and it was really clunky - scolling was a real pain. And the 3d didnt work because it required some extra Java plugin that I couldn't get for Mac... Maybe it's better now?

Anyway, sure, it's a kludge. But it's my kludge and it works for me.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-04-09, 17:07

Quote:
Anyway, sure, it's a kludge. But it's my kludge and it works for me.
Oh, I didn't mean to sound that judgmental... I just have a strong right-tool-for-the-job streak. Thought that a dedicated tool for graphical layout might better.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-04-09, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Ooo!
I downloaded the JAR and ran it. Fairly decent tool, though I don't understand the 3D Projection tool... all I've seen so far is a field without features even though I've used sandstone on multiple layers. Hrm.

What other tools could you use? I could see possibly doing it in Illustrator, though that wouldn't give me the 3D tool (that I can't get to work in the JAR).
I've used Google SketchUp for building 3D structures out of blocks, and OmniGraffle for grid-layout drawings.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-09, 19:10

...I just build a model out of Legos.