Edge Magazine

And received between 90 and 100 from:

RPG Fan
Nintendo Power
XGN
Machinima
Nintendojo
Joystiq

and a bunch of others I've never heard of. Anyway, I got it the other day and I've been playing it. It's pretty freaking fantastic. The granularity of control with regards to the wiimote emulating your sword on screen is a lot more amazing than in any other Wii game I've played. It really feels like you're swinging a sword around, aside from the weight. It senses what angle you're holding the blade at, and will react accordingly if you hit something with the flat of the blade instead of the edge. I'm really enjoying hacking and slashing my way through it. And the puzzles are pretty fun so far too. Anybody else playing it?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2011-12-05, 19:41

I have it sitting, shrink wrapped in my basement since the day of release. It's going to be opened once the basement is finished, and I've moved the TV to the newly finished room. A reward of sorts for finishing, plus there's no room to even move right now with everything piled into the other bedroom.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-12-05, 20:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
And the puzzles are pretty fun so far too. Anybody else playing it?
Except for
Spoiler (click to toggle):
that fucking harp

which actually
sucks less if you close your eyes and swing sing with actual tempo. Once I stopped trying to keep in time visually with

the guys at the Lumpy Pumpkin, it suddenly became much easier and I actually enjoyed playing over again over again for "free" money.

Methinks I need to implement a mechanism for nested spoilers.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-12-05, 20:09

Oh wait, I meant: Skyward Sword... is this a game or something?
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-12-05, 20:10

Wait so
haha
inside
doesn't work?

But it DOES.

Damn brad. Why you up?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-12-05, 20:14

THREE A.M. UKRAINE MADNESS

I'm having SS withdrawals. I had the shakes on the flight in, man.

Devotchka. Spasibo.
Wrao
Yarp

2011-12-05, 21:28

Funny, just took a short break(From playing it) to check my email. I just completed the 4th dungeon and am taking some time off from the main quest to collect rupees, heart pieces and do other side quest type stuff. It doesn't feel weird saying this is the best Zelda game ever made and it's barely even a contest. Aside from a few complaints I have about the 'hand holding' present in the game, it is, in short, a work of art. Back to the game!
Kyros

2011-12-05, 23:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Wait so
haha
inside
doesn't work?

But it DOES.

Damn brad. Why you up?
Can't toggle the nested spoiler (in Chrome anyway), though . You can still see it by highlighting.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-12-06, 05:04

It's fucking amazing. That's all I can say.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2011-12-06, 10:04

You mean there's a reason to pull my Wii out of mothballs? Seriously, the Wii is the least used Xmas present I've ever gotten for my son. It's been unplugged for 2 months now and no one has noticed.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-12-06, 14:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
Aside from a few complaints I have about the 'hand holding' present in the game
This is among my biggest complaints, and I have several. Fi is just a slightly less annoying Navi — slightly. Her annoying pseudo statistical advice is further compounded by the dog-slow text scroll. Holding the A button just barely speeds it up. Why is it that Nintendo refuses to let people jump through dialog more quickly in recent years? It wasn't always like this. It wan't long ago that pressing A skipped to the end of the text. I'm a fast reader and I almost never need to see a 5-page intro to some activity more than once. SHUT UP PUMM LET ME SERENADE YOUR GIRL FOR CASH ALREADY! Spoiler alert.

Flying around on the loftwing is neat for the first few island hops, but I found it has grown a bit tiring. The mechanics of flying are perfectly fine, but it's the sheer emptiness that gets to me. It's not a massive lot of empty on the scale of Wind Waker (at least Wind Waker had periodic guard towers and subs to keep things interesting), but it's still quite disappointing that you're basically navigating a big empty void instead of what could be a richly detailed and artistic landscape pitted with coves and secrets. It's as though Nintendo thinks that if there's no functional need for an interesting environment it's okay to just completely omit any environment at all.

After some 50-odd hours of play (can't remember what I'm at now), the controls still feel off a fair bit in some regards. Anything that requires aiming sucks terribly because the controls rely solely on the gyroscope and none on the IR bar. Again, Nintendo, why?? Yes, I get that you can rely on the fancy new tech and give up on old tech like the IR bar, but giving up a long known working solution in favor of one that forces players to recalibrate the gyroscope (in the middle of a fight, to less) is just plain stupid.

That having been said…

Yes, the story, the characters, the baddies, the level design, the various nods to previous Zelda games, and the overall visual style are all quite good.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2011-12-06, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I'm having SS withdrawals. I had the shakes on the flight in, man.
Yes. Having withdrawals at work right now.

Quote:
Aside from a few complaints I have about the 'hand holding' present in the game, it is, in short, a work of art.
Yes. YES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
It's fucking amazing. That's all I can say.
FUCKING YES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
You mean there's a reason to pull my Wii out of mothballs?
Oddly, the answer to this is also yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
It's been unplugged for 2 months now and no one has noticed.
Yes. Same with mine until the other day.

Quote:
Fi is just a slightly less annoying Navi — slightly.
SUPER YES.

Quote:
Yes, the story, the characters, the baddies, the level design, the various nods to previous Zelda games, and the overall visual style are all quite good.
Yes.

This is the first game I've played since Ocarina of Time that has given me withdrawal symptoms while I'm at work. It makes me want to stay up past any sort of reasonable bedtime even though I have to work the next day. I have to say, neither Majora's Mask, Wind Waker or Twilight Princess were good like this. IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE.
Wrao
Yarp

2011-12-06, 19:46

I have not had the same addiction to it that you guys are describing, in terms of wanting to play it more than I reasonably should, but I have found that time has melted away while playing it more than once.

Another comment I have about the game is that it really feels like the Wii is holding it back a bit. As if the game wants to be even more than it is, but the Wii just isn't quite 'enough' to make it happen. The lack of HD also stands out for the first time pretty much ever for me(on the Wii) where all the graphics look really great and inspired, but you'd kind of like them to all be just a little bit smoother.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2011-12-06, 21:26

Quote:
Another comment I have about the game is that it really feels like the Wii is holding it back a bit. As if the game wants to be even more than it is, but the Wii just isn't quite 'enough' to make it happen. The lack of HD also stands out for the first time pretty much ever for me(on the Wii) where all the graphics look really great and inspired, but you'd kind of like them to all be just a little bit smoother.
I think the motion sensor in the Wiimote is holding it back... I have to recenter that thing probably every 10-15 minutes. Other than that my only complaints are what Brad was talking about with not being able to speed through or skip dialog, and I wish it'd pause the game while you're selecting items for the trigger. I lost a boss fight earlier today because I accidentally left my finger on the trigger a hair too long and it switched from what I was actually trying to use to the bug net, and the calibration was off (again) so when I tried to fix it I couldn't get what I wanted to use selected before I'd get hit again.

HD would be nice, but I only notice that it's missing when there are some resolution-induced rendering artifacts in large rooms... I'll see something I don't recognize "way over there", and half-way there after there are more pixels involved, I can see what it is.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-12-09, 12:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
HD would be nice, but I only notice that it's missing when there are some resolution-induced rendering artifacts in large rooms... I'll see something I don't recognize "way over there", and half-way there after there are more pixels involved, I can see what it is.
Even in HD, you wouldn't be able to clearly see what's in the far distance due to the impressionist splotch filter. You'd see flecks like you do now, only they'd be slightly crisper flecks. I kind of like this idea, as it gives a better sense of distance by limiting the depth of field.

HD screenshot running on Dolphin: http://wiki.dolphin-emulator.com/ind...rdSwordDOF.jpg

Dave
Ninja Editor

2011-12-09, 13:30

Quote:
Wow... I didn't know there was a Wii emulator out there that ran on Mac OS X. I know what I'm downloading when I get home...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-12-09, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Wow... I didn't know there was a Wii emulator out there that ran on Mac OS X. I know what I'm downloading when I get home...
Dolphin was originally a Gamecube emulator, but the GC and Wii hardware are so similar that it was extended to work fo both. Some games require beefy hardware to be playable, and it's can be pretty buggy sometimes. I've use Dolphin for playing through Wind Waker recently, and it works quite well, but when I tried F-Zero GX it slowed to a painful 10-15 FPS. Your mileage may vary.

If you search YouTube for any GC or Wii game with "HD" or "1080", you'll almost certainly find someone's recording of a Dolphin playthrough. Some games look really amazing with higher resolution display (Super Mario Galaxy for one), others not so much. Some games actually have bitmaps and HUD images that are higher resolution than the Wii can natively display, suggesting that in-house the developers may have better hardware for development and testing.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-01-10, 22:27

So, I'm sad to say that tonight I had to take Robo's "Zelda Card". This fiend has been postponing playing Skyward Sword so he can finish playing through, wait for it, OoT 3D.

I will be keeping this bad boy in a well-secure vault, guarded by the Groosenator.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2012-01-10, 22:30

Oh wow, didn't think you were going to THAT much effort!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-01-10, 22:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Oh wow, didn't think you were going to THAT much effort!
Yeah, it took some convincing to get Groose to leave Grooseland, but this is IMPORTANT.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-01-10, 22:42

nooooooooo my gaming cred
Artap99
Totally awesome.

Send a message via AIM to Artap99  
2012-01-11, 05:34

Always sad to see that happen to someone you know.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-01-11, 07:45

I want to know what the motor is for. Brad, are you automating your character on Minecraft?

alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2012-01-11, 16:10

I finally started playing, after finishing up the basement. So far, it's a ton of fun, and most of the stuff that I've gotten stuck on wasn't too bad once I did some flying around. I like the idea of using the beetle to explore, gives you a totally different perspective on the dungeons and rooms.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-01-11, 16:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I want to know what the motor is for. Brad, are you automating your character on Minecraft?
That was the old crappy slow motor

before Gondo upgraded my Beetle at the Scrap Shop.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2012-01-11, 18:13

Has anybody:

done the desert dragon challenge to get the indestructible shield? I have not. I tried it and was only able to get through 2 bosses. You have to beat 8 fights to get the shield.

Also, I am not a fan of the silent realm challenges. Still loving the game in general though.
Wrao
Yarp

2012-01-11, 18:27

For some reason I just stopped playing and I haven't resumed. I made it to the final dungeon, started solving it, didn't get too far, but completed a couple of rooms, and that was like 3 weeks ago and I haven't touched it since.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-01-11, 18:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
Also, I am not a fan of the silent realm challenges. Still loving the game in general though.
I loved the silent realm areas and wish there were more like them. They were some of the few areas in the game that required actual strategy and stealth, and if you made a mistake, you felt a serious sense of urgency to get your shit together. More please!

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2012-01-12, 02:56

I got the Hylian Shield in a normal file. Still working towards it on Hero Mode, but not quite far enough to get there to attempt it just yet.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-01-12, 05:36

I just ordered Skyward Sword from Amazon.

"Estimated Delivery: Jan. 20, 2012 - Jan. 23, 2012"

Dat super saver shipping.