AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Darwine for Mactel released.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Darwine for Mactel released.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-02-13, 14:26

http://osx86project.org/index.php?op...114&Item id=2

So,who's going to be brave to give this developer version a spin?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-13, 14:38

How about linking directly to the source instead of giving traffic to those thieving pirates?

http://darwine.opendarwin.org/

Quote:
Darwine Release 0.9.7

A new Darwine release is out, based upon the wine-0.9.7 release.

This is the first Darwine release with x86 Mac support.

Darwine SDK was not updated, an Universal Darwine SDK is planned for the next release.

The majority of changes for this release can be viewed here in wine.git/ChangeLog

It is being released as a DEVELOPER PREVIEW so USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! It is not yet suited for mass distribution or general user use.

Also please report bugs to the darwine Bug Tracking System, and to the darwine-devel mailing-list. Also any comments, questions or concerns can also be posted to the darwine-devel mailing-list.

You can download Darwine 0.9.7 DP on the sourceforge Darwine 0.9.7 DP download page.
You can download Darwine SDK 0.9.6 DP on the sourceforge Darwine SDK 0.9.6 DP download page.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-02-13, 15:08

I didn't know that osx86 projects were pirates?

My apologies anyhow.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-13, 15:13

Well, they are openly encouraging and enabling others to break Apple's EULA for Mac OS X...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-02-13, 15:35

I've tried WINE on my iMac Core Duo and it just doesn't work. Something about not finding cwindows where it should be. (This was running the sample windows apps that came with the distribution.) I have no idea what that means, but it's not quite there yet.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-02-17, 23:51

Some success with it. Unfortunately it only ran once then everything else quit. This is progress, though. Considering these Macs have only been in people's hands for about 1 month and all the geeks are probably waiting for the MBPs, things are getting very interesting.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2006-02-18, 00:14

There's a post on the developer list by Jeremy White (from CodeWeavers) setting out some of the problems they're facing. On the plus side, he reckons they may have something official to announce by the second quarter, which would be pretty cool.
rasmits
rams it

2006-03-07, 18:54

Anyone else tried the new releases on an Intel Mac? I'm really interested in Darwine, I might even buy a Mac Mini to use it if it works relatively well.

Can you run stuff like AutoCAD or Flight Sim?
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-03-07, 18:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits
Can you run stuff like AutoCAD or Flight Sim?
Not now, not for a LONG time. If ever. Sorry
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-03-07, 19:01

[rant] AutoCAD sucks donkey's balls [/rant]

I have to agree- they're a complex beasts to start with, and right now, WINE has probably the most of more common APIs, but not all that are needed. You could loan your licenses to folks over there if you really want it running sooner, too.

It's more likely that they'll have to dual boot Windows.
rasmits
rams it

2006-03-07, 19:05

I really know nothing about Windows APIs, and even less about programming, so sorry if my questions sounds stupid but:

1.) How exactly does something like this work?
2.) What would it take to get it working fully? How can some .exe files work, and some not?
3.) I was under the impression that Windows APIs are changing constantly, something that OS/2 suffered from, how will this work better?
4.) Will it ever be a reliable alternative to dual-booting?

Okay, that's all for now, thanks for the info.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-03-07, 19:08

FAQ on WINE

Edit- Brad also linked this gem before- WINE Myths

Last edited by Banana : 2006-03-07 at 19:30.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-03-07, 20:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits
I really know nothing about Windows APIs, and even less about programming, so sorry if my questions sounds stupid but:

1.) How exactly does something like this work?
2.) What would it take to get it working fully? How can some .exe files work, and some not?
3.) I was under the impression that Windows APIs are changing constantly, something that OS/2 suffered from, how will this work better?
4.) Will it ever be a reliable alternative to dual-booting?

Okay, that's all for now, thanks for the info.
1) It provides the required APIs for the code to run.
2) It would take a full and correct implementation of all the Windows APIs. The .exe files that work are the ones that don't use the parts of the APIs that aren't implemented or aren't implemented correctly.
3) It probably won't.
4) Only if they can keep up with any changes MS makes.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-03-07, 20:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINE "Documentation"
Build your first Win32 Application with WineLib and Xcode on Mac OS X

First, make sure you have installed the Darwine SDK, and the Mac OS X Developer Tools.

Then start Xcode. Choose "File:New Project..." then select the "Win32 Application" target. Click on the "Build" button. Then you'll have to launch your winelib application located in your project directory, by double-clicking on it. WineHelper should be launched.
They need someone to write intelligible docs if they want to get actual *people* using their application. I don't know if this means to run an application I have to build it or what. Can anyone help? I'm willing to try it out, but I can't make heads or tails out of what I'm supposed to do.
rasmits
rams it

2006-03-07, 21:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
They need someone to write intelligible docs if they want to get actual *people* using their application. I don't know if this means to run an application I have to build it or what. Can anyone help? I'm willing to try it out, but I can't make heads or tails out of what I'm supposed to do.
Me either. I think they're a long way off before they'll get any regular person that's able to use the app.

All of the programs that supposedly "just work" with Darwine, the ones listed on their Wiki, also don't work at all for me. They just open and close.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-03-07, 21:25

Quote:
If you don't know what that means, then you're not part of the target audience. (Which isn't a bad thing, you're just not who this release is geared towards.)

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-03-07, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
If you don't know what that means, then you're not part of the target audience. (Which isn't a bad thing, you're just not who this release is geared towards.)
And if you write a post like this, you don't care to help others learn so I wouldn't be surprised if someone tells you to bugger off...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-03-07, 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
I may not be in their target audience, but I should be. I'm computer savvy, I've got time to try to figure it out and mess around with it and I've got the willingness to help them get a usable product out. But I'm not going to get down and dirty learning about the nuts and bolts just so I can try firefox for windows out. I *can* do a lot to get things working, but I need some more clarity than their docs can provide. Or maybe they need an editor to help them write intelligibly.

Maybe you can translate rather than just make snide remarks?
kevib

2006-03-09, 10:01

Quote:
Maybe you can translate rather than just make snide remarks?
Long time reader, first time poster. Yes Dave was a little snide and that's part of the problem, people in the know expect everyone else to be in the know. The thing about this Darwine SDK is that it is an SDK (Software Development Kit) which means that it's targetted at developers. It allows a person that has the source code for a windows program to recompile it, using this SDK of course, to run on Mac OS X.
Bancho

2006-03-09, 12:04

I don't think Dave was snide at all.

Blunt and honest? Yes.

It's not yet ready for most people to be banging on and the documentation reflects that. If someone was inclined to improve the documentation so that people a little less "in the know" could try it I'm sure they'd welcome it. Until then it seems that they are making some decent progress.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2006-03-09, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevib
Long time reader, first time poster. Yes Dave was a little snide and that's part of the problem, people in the know expect everyone else to be in the know. The thing about this Darwine SDK is that it is an SDK (Software Development Kit) which means that it's targetted at developers. It allows a person that has the source code for a windows program to recompile it, using this SDK of course, to run on Mac OS X.
You see, if it was made this clear on their page, I wouldn't have even bothered trying it. Thanks for clarifying.
rasmits
rams it

2006-03-09, 17:38

Quote:
You see, if it was made this clear on their page, I wouldn't have even bothered trying it. Thanks for clarifying.
Yeah, the website is horrible. It links back and forth with the WINE website, and the writing is terrible.