AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Wireless Broadband Router

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wireless Broadband Router
tacvbo83

2006-02-25, 00:49

will this:

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...33628&pfp=hpf8

be able to send the signal to the MBP? Right now it is sending the signal to my PC through one of these:

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...802%2E11g%2C+b

and it is great. If only this can send it to the MBP as well; would make it even better!?!?!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-02-25, 00:53

Short answer: Yes, it should.

Long answer: You might want to look at a better manufacturer than CompUSA. Maybe Linksys or D-Link. 802.11g is a standard, and all of your devices should be able to connect to the same network even if they aren't all built by the same company. Personally, I've always had horrible luck with CompUSA (fraudulent bastards!) and I would recommend another company. Also, you might be able to get more features with another manufacturer. I have an Airport Base Station and an Airport Express, and I'm getting a Linksys WRT54G soon, because I'm interested in using the Sveasoft firmware for QoS (I'll be doing VoIP).
tacvbo83

2006-02-25, 00:56

Ryan: "Short answer: Yes, it should."

Thats what I am thinking as well. Hopefully it does. I don't care much for speed, as long as it is alittle faster than dialup im fine. I wont be using my MBP for downloading much, mostly just browsing around the house.
WrestleEwe

Send a message via Skype™ to WrestleEwe 
2006-02-25, 08:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
and I'm getting a Linksys WRT54G soon, because I'm interested in using the Sveasoft firmware for QoS (I'll be doing VoIP).
Just a tip. Buy the regular one, NOT the one with SpeedBoost, or whatever it's called. It'll save you a lot of money, and the technology only works when EVERY wireless client also supports it. This means that it will be useless as soon as you connect with you Mac...
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-02-25, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrestleEwe
Just a tip. Buy the regular one, NOT the one with SpeedBoost, or whatever it's called. It'll save you a lot of money, and the technology only works when EVERY wireless client also supports it. This means that it will be useless as soon as you connect with you Mac...
Yep, I already read about that. I'm just getting the standard 54mbps model. The model number I posted above might be off, it's just the first Linksys model number I thought off that sounded correct.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-02-25, 12:42

Just for future reference: the Best Router Evarâ„¢.
Batman

2006-02-25, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
Just for future reference: the Best Router Evarâ„¢.
Seconded. I've been using the WRT54G for about 3 weeks, and haven't had a problem yet. The only "problem" I had was when I couldn't find the other computers on the network, but shortly thereafter I realized I wasn't using my network, but a neighboor's one (oops ).

Sometimes ... things that are expensive ... are worse.