Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

MySQL Cocoa App - Have a go :-)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MySQL Cocoa App - Have a go :-)
mooty

2006-07-20, 09:07

Hi All,

I'm currently working on a new content management app. The first step is to get some functionality with MySQL, which I've just completed. I'd love it if you would try it out, and give me any feedback on problems and requests.

http://web.mac.com/mootymoots

The app currently only accesses MySQL databases and allows table lookups with simple searching. Editing will be next...

Thanks to Chucker for all the guidance and testing. Either leave feedback here or on my dodgy 30 minute iWeb above

Thanks all.

Last edited by mooty : 2006-07-20 at 09:42.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-07-20, 09:35

You're very welcome. I often receive and benefit from the same kind of help from others, so it's only fair.
mooty

2006-07-20, 16:22

i've been working on the speed issue with large tables and now added a pref pane to the app so you can set a maximum amount of rows to return. Works much better, but I need to build in some way so you can see the next say 200 rows...
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-07-20, 22:28

I'm curious what you mean by Content Management App... Care to explain?
mooty

2006-07-21, 03:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster375
I'm curious what you mean by Content Management App... Care to explain?
Well, about 18 months ago i created a CMS using MySQL and PHP for Recruitment agencies. It allowed them to manage their office-based data, as-well as sharing certain elements of that data with their websites, for example - vacancy information.

I want to do something simular, but more generic. A way to manage content on a database driven website, but managed locally by a desktop app, rather than web-forms. Main reason being I can control alot more, and more user friendly... For example, adding/uploading images to a site could be a drag and drop, instead of browsing... stuff like that.

I am not trying to re-invent iWeb, the app wont be able to design templates.... yet :-) hehe
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-07-21, 03:27

I think the main issue with what you're working on is that you connect and interact directly with the MySQL server. That's not a situation you'll frequently find.
mooty

2006-07-21, 03:59

definately!! The app is not there to do that. In its current form its mearly a preview of MySQL direct interaction, but in the future you wouldn't interact with it so blatantly.

However, the current functionality could be a handy tool for administrators if necessary, and it helps me learn :-)
Mr Beardsley

Send a message via AIM to Mr Beardsley  
2006-07-21, 12:28

First, let me say that I'm at work so I can't try out your app yet.

Second, from what you have been talking about, it would seem a good Cocoa/Objective-C ODBC implementation is needed. This used to be covered by Apple's EO Framework, but unfortunately they ported it all to Java and dropped support for Objective-C. Bummer.

One of the things I'm really hoping Leopard includes is an update to CoreData that adds support for third party relational databases in addition to SQLite, XML, and Binary. It would seem that they are heading this direction, but we'll just have to wait and see.

"Slow vehicle speeds with frequent stops would signal traffic congestion, for instance."

uh... it could also signal that my Mom is at the wheel...
chucker

2006-07-21, 12:31

Yes, being able to plug additional databases into Core Data would be sweet.
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-07-21, 22:22

From the testing I've done, I really like it. It's very helpful with my PHP development, so, thank you.
mooty

2006-07-22, 05:18

great Thanks!!

I have added another version yesterday, and hope to release another today with Table Optimization built in, row deletion, and possibly editing if i get that far...
mooty

2006-07-22, 07:35

New version up!

Version 0.1a 220706
-------------------
- Added Optimize Table button and functionality
- Added Empty Table button and functionality
- Added Delete Row functionality by clicking icon in row
- Added Dynamic window resize for better table viewing (via button)

Seems stable this end... would love any feedback. Thx.

mooty

2006-07-28, 04:37

Hi Guys,

New version up today. Also moved my blog to http://mootymoots.me.uk

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-08-28, 14:18

*big one month bump* Are you still working on this? My other choices for a MySQL app are crappy or expensive.
chucker

2006-08-28, 18:56

CocoaMySQL has picked up development again.

I'm sure Mooty will be delighted to see interest in his app, though.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-08-28, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
CocoaMySQL has picked up development again.

I'm sure Mooty will be delighted to see interest in his app, though.
Sweet! Thanks. YourSQL wasn't really doin' it for me.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2006-08-28 at 19:21.
mooty

2006-08-29, 03:42

Yea CocoaMySQL is good, I would use that if I were you.

My app development has stalled a bit, whilst I try to learn a bit more - plus, at the end of it all, it won't be a MySQL manager like the aformentioned CocoaMySQL - I hope to have an app which uses MySQL in a different way

The latest version is here http://mootymoots.me.uk/downloads, version 0.1a 300706

More importantly with CocoaMySQL, they are going to implement SSH tunnelling, which is great news as this was a problem I found when trying to connect up to MySQL databases on some external hosts, that being, you can't connect :-)

Last edited by mooty : 2006-08-29 at 03:50.
chucker

2006-08-29, 05:00

I've been using it with SSH tunnelling all along.
mooty

2006-08-29, 05:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I've been using it with SSH tunnelling all along.
Using the app? How exactly, i'd like to use my app with SSH tunnelling...
chucker

2006-08-29, 06:05

ssh -NL 3306:localhost:3306 server-to-connect-to

mooty

2006-08-29, 06:09

ok, so once I connect using SSH to the server, the app will connect to the database fine ?
chucker

2006-08-29, 06:12

You set up the tunnel like that in the command-line, and then in your MySQL app, you connect to 127.0.0.1, port 3306.
mooty

2006-08-29, 06:13

amazing! :-) I am so gonna code that into my app tonight