User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Holy Freaking Shit! I am lucky not to be in the hospital right now!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Holy Freaking Shit! I am lucky not to be in the hospital right now!
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Quagmire
meh

2006-04-30, 20:40

I had 4 crazies and 2 close accidents today. Good news: None of them would of been my fault, handled them fine, and I am all right. Bad News: I wasn't driving my nice 3700 lb Equinox. It was driving my families 5700 lb monster Suburban. So I was driving to put the sails, dodger, and other stuff on my parents boat and the stuff wouldn't fit in the 'Nox. So the first crazy and the 1st close accident was when I was on a local road with a 50 MPH speed limit. So this red car decides to pull out right in front of me when I was going 50. I brake hard. No accident. Then on another local road with a 40 MPH speed limit. Approaching a fork and I think I was doing about 35. This mercedes was looking like he was about to pull out in front of me, but decided not to.

Then on the return trip, a person in a red Cobalt SS( think I saw the SS badge) did the same as the mercedes, but not on the fork. Now here is the killer. Now on a highway going about 60-65 on a curve I see this white car on the left zooming past me and also invading my lane. I braked so hard I guess the brakes took the wheel and since I was thinking about the car and braking for my life, I let the wheel straighten out and swerved into another lane. Luckily there wasn't a car next to me. I would estimate the white car was about 3" away from the front of the 'Burban. I am so freaking lucky I am not in the hospital right now.

giggity

Last edited by Quagmire : 2006-04-30 at 21:59.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-04-30, 20:42

So that's why you missed the Pages and Keynote updates...
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-04-30, 20:43

If you're in a suburban, why the fuck are you moving out of anyone else's way, unless they have 24 wheels?

You're the biggest thing on the road.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Quagmire
meh

2006-04-30, 20:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit
So that's why you missed the Pages and Keynote updates...
Nah, that was because I only have Keynote 2 and Pages 1! So it wouldn't show up in my software update.

Quote:
If you're in a suburban, why the fuck are you moving out of anyone else's way, unless they have 24 wheels?

You're the biggest thing on the road.
Because I would of ended up being on my permit for another six months.

giggity
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-04-30, 21:30

Quag, keep up the driving. In no time, you will be easily winning Nextel cup!

scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-04-30, 21:51

Never had an accident, seen thousands... Springs to mind.. Perhaps being on a permit is not such a bad thing...
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2006-04-30, 22:13

I've had one serious accident in my 30 year driving career and as I saw the little toyota run the stop sign the only thing going through my mind was "this is gonna hurt..."

It's funny you mention Nascar, banana, every time I see an accident replayed from the inside the car cam I get the flashback from my accident. It sounds the same too.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2006-04-30, 22:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire
Because I would of ended up being on my permit for another six months.
It's a good thing the English language doesn't require a permit!

Sorry... one of my pet peeves is seeing the phrases "could of," "would of," "should of," and the like. Those should be "could have," "would have," and "should have." Unfortunately, that's not how we pronounce it, but that's what you're actually saying, and writing is always more formal than colloquial speech.

Maybe I should have used the Grammar Police to post this.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2006-04-30, 23:00

coulda shoulda woulda.......
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-04-30, 23:24

1st Incident: Quag is ACTUALLY going to speed limit so the red car thinks he's slowing down to turn (maybe he even had his turn signal on)

2nd Incident: Quag is new to driving and is timid so any car getting close to him is dangerous. He seems to be brake happy.

scratt
Veteran Member

2006-04-30, 23:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
1st Incident: Quag is ACTUALLY going to speed limit so the red car thinks he's slowing down to turn (maybe he even had his turn signal on)

2nd Incident: Quag is new to driving and is timid so any car getting close to him is dangerous. He seems to be brake happy.

Yup. Like I said "Never had an accident, but seen thousands"
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-05-01, 01:17

Sounds to me like you are as much to blame in these incidents as anyone else. First of all, I don't know many local roads with 50MPH speed limits. Local roads usually have a max of 45 and more often 35 or lower. But there are exceptions. 2nd, you're a young inexperienced driver driving a fully loaded huge truck. You should be driving more conservative and be more aware of your surroundings.
Blue Light Bandit

2006-05-01, 01:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses
Sounds to me like you are as much to blame in these incidents as anyone else.
I totally agree.

If you HAD been in some sort of wreck when you swerved lanes, Quagmire, you almost certainly would be held 100% liable. The car that directly causes the collision is the one at fault. It doesn't matter if another car flies by you or an animal darts out in the road or anything else. If that mystery car or mystery animal gets away, you have no proof to your story. If you are the one that collides into another car, it's your fault. Plain and simple.

You may not like it, but that's the way the police and insurance claims adjusters see it. I've worked with an auto insurance agency several years ago. I know this is how it works.
Quagmire
meh

2006-05-01, 01:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses
Sounds to me like you are as much to blame in these incidents as anyone else. First of all, I don't know many local roads with 50MPH speed limits. Local roads usually have a max of 45 and more often 35 or lower. But there are exceptions. 2nd, you're a young inexperienced driver driving a fully loaded huge truck. You should be driving more conservative and be more aware of your surroundings.
Well the 50 one wasn't exactly a local local road like a small road in the country. It was a wide 2 lane road with a speed limit of 50. I am not BS'ing that. I was driving conservatively. Trust me. People go 60 on the 50 road. People go 80 on the highway. I go fast enough where people still pass me and yet not hold up traffic. I have been on my permit for 6 months now. Most of that experience is 50% Equinox and 50% Suburban. It is not like I rarely drive the Suburban. I know it is heavy vehicle. I drive it like that. My dad drives it like it is his BMW! I ease on the gas while accelerating. I brake earlier then I do with the 'Nox. I check my mirrors every 30-45 seconds. I saw the red car to the left of me. I was looking at him to see what he was going to do. But, he pulled out as soon as I was on top of him. It wasn't like I was oblivious to him. Same with the Mercedes and Cobalt SS. I had my foot on the brake in the Mercedes and Cobalt situations. Before I entered the curve on the highway, I checked the mirrors. The white car was still at a fair distance and there was plenty of space on the right side. It isn't my freaking fault for the white car zooming past me and invading my lane and was 3" away from a collision. I couldn't of prevented that. But, I am not denying I am an inexperienced young driver, but I do have opportunities that most don't have. Like driving some kind of vehicle all my life. From a small electric car to a go cart and now a vehicle like a Suburban.

Quote:
If you HAD been in some sort of wreck when you swerved lanes, Quagmire, you almost certainly would be held 100% liable. The car that directly causes the collision is the one at fault. It doesn't matter if another car flies by you or an animal darts out in the road or anything else. If that mystery car or mystery animal gets away, you have no proof to your story. If you are the one that collides into another car, it's your fault. Plain and simple.
Yes, I know that. But, I am only talking about the white car situation. If it did hit me, it wouldn't have been my fault. But, if I did hit someone in the other lane it would of been my fault. I understand that.

giggity
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-05-01, 05:29

Turned this thread AGAINST quagmire. Mission accomplished.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-05-01, 08:23

Were the other drivers on their cell phones, by any chance? Because that's been the common link in any of my "near misses" the past several years.

People pulling out in front of me, drifting into my lane, cutting through parking lots and nearly T-boning me, running redlights and blowing through stop signs, not going when the light turns green, etc.

In every single case (maybe except for one), I've looked up and the person is on their phone...either completely oblivious to the carnage they nearly created, OR - worse - somehow seeing fit to give ME the angry gestures and "WTF?!?" theatrics.

"Oh, pardon me...I'm only driving here, and NOT straddling the lane, NOT doing 25 in a 50, NOT doing the other 3-5 stupid things you're doing. I should've known to anticipate your idiocy, ma'am...my sincere apologies".

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-05-01, 08:27

...which really gets me-

They hand out license to those imbeciles who shouldn't be even driving, yet it seems that police are more bent on people who accidnetally go 5 mph over the limit, weaving in their lanes or didn't change their tabs or bulbs.

For every time they write up a ticket, ther's like 10 cars tailgating, driving like a lunatic and taking their anger out on everybody.

I just don't get the whole notion of "licensing" those people to drive.
colivigan
Veteran Member

2006-05-01, 08:36

Follow this simple program. I have, and it's taken me through 28 years behind the wheel without an accident.

1. Don't do stupid things. Simple enough, right? But amazingly difficult for some folks to remember.

2. Keep your eyes and attention on the road at all times (stay off the freaking cell phone).

If everybody simply followed these two rules, there would never be any accidents. Unfortunately, this isn't the case. Hence the need for:

3. Assume everyone else on the road is a complete numbskull and plan accordingly. Always be prepared to respond to blatant violations of (1) and (2). Recognize the potential for such incidents ahead of time, and control the situation.

Sure, there will always be a small element of luck involved. But with a little attention and common sense, you can reduce it to almost nil.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-05-01, 09:09

That's been my approach for 21 years of driving.

I've had two small fenderbenders, both the fault of the other driver and I simply could not avoid them (one ran a stop sign at a three-way stop and I had nowhere to go and took a left front bumper hit, the other illegally turned against my right-of-way, out of the blue...same part of the car got hit (this was 13-14 years ago).

Never an accident in SoCal (where I was sure I would get creamed).

Were I not following UncleJohn's #1 and #2 above as closely as I do, all my near misses would've been full-on wrecks...a couple of them possibly fatal.

But never because of ME, I want to state for the record.

I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS assume the "other guy" is driving with a cell phone in one ear, ice cream cone in their hand, messing around with the radio and grooming themselves...all at the same time. And I act accordingly (and I'm usually not too far off on those assumptions).

Plenty of distance between me and them, eyes on the road and aware of my surroundings AND, most importantly, anticipate/expect the unthinkable (because someone WILL do it).

Lots of people just never grasp any of the above. And they're the ones you know who are always getting into fenderbenders and full-on wrecks (and who go through as many cars in 2-3 years as I do in 8). I know a guy - a friend of a friend kind of thing - who has had about six accidents just since I've moved back to Tennessee in late 2002. I don't even want to know what his insurance premiums are...he's just a knucklehead who doesn't seem to "get it".

I'm afraid the poor guy won't live to see 30...his luck (if you can even call it that) won't hold out forever. He's going to get into a bad crash one day and not walk away.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2006-05-01 at 09:15.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-05-01, 09:23

Actually I just remembered about the only "near miss" I've had. I was at a four way stop, waiting to turn left. The person across from me was going straight. I had arrived at the intersection first, so I started going, but when I was already right in the middle of the intersection I noticed the guy across from me was already moving pretty quickly, almost as if he didn't see me. I gunned it and, although I'm not sure, I think I just barely escaped.

The tough part about that one was it was nighttime, and a really dark night at that. I couldn't tell the other guy was moving until he was already coming towards me. And honestly, I'm still not sure he was unaware of me as I thought at the time. He might have just been kind of antsy to get through the intersection so he started pulling forward sooner than I would have expected. And although I did get to the intersection before him, it was still pretty close and he could have been confused.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-05-01, 09:27

Had a thought...

If we made everyone drive scooter or something more "flimsy" would people be more careful as driver as the perceived risk is now greater?

Just wondering if it's something to do with SUV phenomen. (I'm very good speeler, no?)
scratt
Veteran Member

2006-05-01, 09:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
Had a thought...

If we made everyone drive scooter or something more "flimsy" would people be more careful as driver as the perceived risk is now greater?
Certainly all car drivers should have to get a bike license, and spend some time as a bike rider. Bike riders have much more awareness of not just bikes, but all road traffic.. For exactly the reasons you give Banana..

If you have to look out for yourself you learn to be able to spot possible dangers..

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-05-01, 09:33

I don't know... with only scooters on the road, there would be tons more room (you could go 2-3 scooters wide per lane if need be) and everyone would be moving a lot slower. That might reduce the perceived risk, but I think the fact that you're exposed on a scooter would greatly outweigh that. Not to mention you're not surrounded in glass, metal, and sound deadening, which should make you a lot more aware of your surroundings.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-05-01, 09:38

Or you'd just end up with a ton of dead people who were on scooters, and overall traffic patterns would clear up.

Either way it's a win - win.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
colivigan
Veteran Member

2006-05-01, 09:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
Just wondering if it's something to do with SUV phenomen.
Yes, quite possibly. Cars are certainly a lot safer these days.

I also have a pet theory, which gives me an idea for ...

4. Remember that you are in control of several thousand pounds of metal and glass, hurtling down the highway at deadly speed. You are NOT a participant in the world's largest multi-player video game.

I can't help but think that the video game culture has had a detrimental affect on the nation's driving habits.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-05-01, 09:55

Not necessarily. For those of us who are tuned-in to reality, gaming may actually help our driving skills since it improves hand-eye coordination, reaction time, and focus. Also, while some (many) driving games are horribly unrealistic, there are a few that are realistic and quite unforgiving.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-05-01, 10:02

But what about the conditioning? If you can lose several times, wouldn't you be more willing to risk, knowing that you can always do it again. Real life gives you only one chance, whereas even the most unforgiving game let you play again and again?
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-05-01, 10:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
Or you'd just end up with a ton of dead people who were on scooters, and overall traffic patterns would clear up.

Either way it's a win - win.
Are you the last of remmant of Social Darwinists?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-05-01, 10:04

That seems like an insult to my intelligence. Come now, I'm not five anymore, I am no longer under the impression that because video games give me multiple chances that I will get multiple chances in real life too.

Also, video games are now more popular among 20+ year olds than they are among kids. Again, these are people for whom making a distinction between fantasy and reality is not difficult.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-05-01, 10:13

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I was thinking about the subconsicious level. Of course a 20something know the difference between reality and fantasy, but wouldn't he feel that because he has plenty of practice, may drive a bit more riskier than if he didn't?

I don't know for certain whether video games have any effects, if any at all, on one's driving habits, and would be interested to find out.