Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Jose Canseco Goes Wiggy on Today Show?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Jose Canseco Goes Wiggy on Today Show?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-02-22, 07:47

Jose Canseco is getting POUNDED by the baseball industry (players, management & media) and went on the Today Show on NBC this morning. At first I thought that he was a lone voice of truth about steroid use in the industry and that he was suffering whistleblower syndrome - but then Lauer started citing some recent instances of Canseco trying to raise cash, including putting a championship ring up for auction on eBay (anybody heard about this?).

Jose defended himself, but kind of started rambling. Matt Lauer shepherded him back to the discussion and asked Jose about the rumors that he's putting together a pay-for-view event where he is given a lie-detector test. He pointedly asked "Is this a money thing? Why don't you do it for free? Why not do it on our show, we won't pay you....."

By the end of the interview Canseco began saying that his book was the most important book on sports ever written, that the public can't get enough of it, that it was straight from his lips to the page without media interference...... the whole thing was VERY paranoid and made me question the validity of Canseco's whistleblowing.

I believe that steroid abuse is rampant in pro sports, but Jose Canseco may self-destruct and obfuscate the abuse - allowing it to continue.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
groverat

2005-02-22, 08:19

Jose Canseco is a money-grabbing whore, but he's right about steroid use.

It's too obvious.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2005-02-22, 08:20

Well yeah, Matt Lauer does come down hard on someone like this, probably because of all the enquirer stuff a few years back of someone outing him on his drug problems.

He did the same thing about a year ago to someone else who put out a tell-all, but I can't remember who it was.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
groverat

2005-02-22, 08:49

Matt Lauer is a good corporate lackey.

He'll get a nice raise this year.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-02-22, 09:59

Canseco needs help, quite literally.

The guy has been a nut-job from the first day his name went up in lights. While some parts of his book may be true (I have always thought McGuire was on roids... look at his body and facial structure / complexion between when he first came into the league and when he broke the record. He quite obviously had an unnatural amount of hormones in his body and it showed), but in general Canseco has always been an attention whore and a liar.

I don't know why anyone gives the guy the time of day. He's a douch who needs counselling if you ask me.

...into the light of a dark black night.
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-02-22, 14:02

people give him the time of day because steroids are clearly rampant in baseball and no one is willing to say so except assholes like Jose.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2005-02-22, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by groverat
Matt Lauer is a good corporate lackey.

He'll get a nice raise this year.
Oh how I've missed this. :smokey:
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-02-22, 17:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of the 'nut
people give him the time of day because steroids are clearly rampant in baseball and no one is willing to say so except assholes like Jose.
Except that you can't even trust what he says in that regard. How much of what he says is true, how much is half-true, how much is total BS? I believe he is the type of person to invent details, exagerrate things and generally do anything to keep attention focused on him. He's right up there with Pete Rose in the trustworthy category.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-02-22, 18:23

I honestly didn't know anything about Canseco until his interview this morning, and his ability to wander off-topic and ramble incoherently did not impress. The pro-steroids crowd must be exultant!

Captain Drew on Twitter
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2005-02-22, 19:09

Canseco has always been a nutjob. but when he was a 40/40 guy everyone loved him and paid him huge wads of cash.

It's funny how all the big cheeses are distancing themselves from an issue by calling Jose's sanity and honesty into play, WHEN EVERYONE AND THEIR BROTHER WAS IN ON THE SECRET FOR YEARS AND LOOKED THE OTHER WAY!

owners and teammates are acting like they are just being naive.
when is someone respectable (that's still in baseball) going to be honest about this?
I'm talking owners, players, broadcasters, writers.....just someone please say "yeah we knew it was going on but it was benefitting the team and it's up to the athlete to take care of his health, or at least that's how we rationalize it".

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-02-23, 23:44

How many think steroids in baseball in cheating? Bonds essentially defended it by saying that no amount of performing enhancing drug will improve your ability to hit a ball, that it cannot improve your basic skill level in the game. He's right but there's a big difference in stature and pay level between a guy like Bonds and a guy that drops singles in just past the infield.

I think something needs to be done soon. It's starting to taint the game. The game needs someone to get all Kenesaw Mountain Landis on these juice pigs. That and the homerun is actually boring now. Now I look forward to hit and runs and the suicide squeeze. The game needs to purify itself. Bring back the dead ball era!!!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-02-24, 00:33

I absolutely think that the use of steroids equals cheating. How can a drug that enhances physical capabilities like strength and endurance not also enhance your reaction times? I would hate to think that any performance drug enhanced players were ranked alongside the legends of the game. I would especially hate to know that a loose cannon's unsubstantiated accusations was perceived as defamatory to the sport and further reports of substance abuse were ignored.

Captain Drew on Twitter
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-02-24, 01:30

Bonds is almost worse than Canseco in that he's trying to rationalize it at times. Doesn't affect the way you hit the ball my ass. Yah if you can't hit to begin with, it won't help... if you can, most of your hits formerly known as "fly-out" to deep left / right will now be known as "home runs". Yah it won't help at all.

The owners and managers are pretty chicken-shit in all this too, remaining quiet like they had no clue. Everyone who has half a brain could look at nearly all of the super-star hitters and realize they were on something. These guys look like gorillas, not baseball players.

I hope Sosa gets nailed in all this; I guaran-fucking-tee you he was juiced up over the last five years or so. He's so much bigger than he used to be it's ridiculous, but because he's Mr. Popular no one is saying anything.

It's a real shame. Baseball has gone to shit now as well. Super-over-paid players, juiced up on roids and any other bio-chemical elixir they can get their hands on, all for the glory ball. If HR didn't get guys big contracts, most of these a-holes wouldn't be doing roids at all. It's all for the HR -- the single most individualistic aspect of the game. Big surprise.

You can say what you want about hockey players... very few if any of those rat-bastards on are roids.

Last edited by Moogs : 2005-02-24 at 01:35.