Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Comparing Dimensions

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Comparing Dimensions
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-09-16, 23:57

There used to be a neat website where you could type in dimensions of different rectangular items and it would create 3D looking representations of each so that you could compare their relative sizes.

Anybody know what that website WAS??

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2013-09-17, 00:24

The one I have bookmarked was called sizeasy.com, but it seems to be dead now.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2013-09-17, 00:25

Sorry to burst yr bubble drew, but rectangles only have two dimensions :P

I honestly and naively thought this post was going to be about Griffin from MiB3 and his life in five dimensions.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-09-17, 03:50

Well, lets turn it into that, since sizeasy.com's demise appears to confirm my worst suspicions.

Me? I personally liked e-space, mostly because Tom Baker's Doctor was my first introduction to the TARDIS, but also because the space cat slaves were a fascinating race.

I'm not sure how that compares to the Phantom Zone, which may be a different dimension.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-09-17, 09:34

I've used SketchUp quite a bit for things like this, Drew. It's a workable alternative, if that site (or one like it) can't be found.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2013-09-18, 02:39

Bigger than a courgette, smaller than a turnip.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2013-09-18, 05:26

iOS7 is reportedly going to drop us down to two dimensions now anyway.

The Third is seemingly too skeumorphic, according to some.

For the Fourth, you'll have to wait.

Five through Eleven are suppusedly strung out or curled up... or so says Brian Greene and others.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Dashiell

2020-04-03, 18:03

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to let everyone know that I recently launched a new site to fill the void left by sizeasy: comparesizes.com. I hope anyone who comes across this finds it helpful!

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-04-04 at 11:16.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-04-04, 03:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
There used to be a neat website where you could type in dimensions of different rectangular items and it would create 3D looking representations of each so that you could compare their relative sizes.

Anybody know what that website WAS??

You mean sizeasy, right? That seems dead. I’ve been meaning to write a replacement, but never got around to it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-04-04, 03:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashiell View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to let everyone know that I recently launched a new site to fill the void left by sizeasy: //comparesizes.com/"]https://comparesizes.com. I hope anyone who comes across this finds it helpful!

_

Since we have no use for spammers, it is very helpful!

~ Kscherer
Isn’t this the kind of thing Drew was looking for, though?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-04, 10:37

Yeah, seems this might be a case of premature ejection, a potentially embarrassing condition affecting 14-22% of web forum moderators at least once in their lives. If it continues, be sure to speak to your doctor about it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-04, 10:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Yeah, seems this might be a case of premature ejection, a potentially embarrassing condition affecting 14-22% of web forum moderators at least once in their lives. If it continues, be sure to speak to your doctor about it.
I don't know. You guys tell me. If it is, then I'll lift the ban. If you're joking, well, maybe I'll ban you two knuckleheads!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-04-04, 11:03

It's not as sexy as SizeEasy but it's real.

Yep, this was premature ejection, though to be fair Dashiell could have made an introduction.

You know, foreplay?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-04, 11:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Okay, I can admit to making a mistake. I've lifted the ban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
It's not as sexy as SizeEasy but it's real.

Yep, this was premature ejection, though to be fair Dashiell could have made an introduction.

You know, foreplay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashiell View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to let everyone know that I recently launched a new site to fill the void left by sizeasy: comparesizes.com. I hope anyone who comes across this finds it helpful!
Hello, Dashiell. In the future you might introduce yourself before posting links. We get lots of SPAM at AN and ban spammers on the first offense.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-04, 12:09

It all worked out.

As was the case seven years ago when I posted upthread, I still use Sketchup (just out of habit) when I want to know this stuff. I just build simple boxes in the three needed dimensions. And then I’ll build a reference item of something here on hand -Kleenex box, my microwave, my desk, etc. - to compare it to. It’s a bit of a process, but I love sketchup so any excuse to use it is fine...