Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Wipe HD for a clean install of Panther

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Wipe HD for a clean install of Panther
operasinger34

2004-12-19, 00:50

Hello,
I have a original iMac DV ed. with slot loading DVD drive. I'm running Panther 10.34. I plan on selling it (getting a new Powerbook when they come out). How do you wipe the hard drive so that a new owner can simply start up and install a fresh version of OS X.
If this is a ridiculously stupid question then I am sorry.

Thanks to anyone who can help
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-12-19, 06:28

Make sure that you have saved all the data that you want to keep onto another drive or on DVDs.

Then pop in the installation CD/DVD that came with your computer or the Panther DVD that you bought to upgrade from Jaguar or 10.1 or whatever.

Double click on the DVD icon when it appears in the Finder and follow the instructions for a clean installation ("Erase and Install"), ticking the various options as you go.

Your Mac should reboot from the DVD and reinstall the OS.

Do you not have a Panther DVD, is that what your problem is? I don't know which model the iMac DV is exactly, I wasn't a Mac user when it was released.

If I haven't answered your question, give this thread a bump (by posting in it again) and much more knowledgeable people will be able to help.

bouncy bouncy
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-12-19, 07:16

There should be a system/software restore CD. You can make the computer exactly like it was when you got it, or you can use the panther CD and do a clean install of panther.

Either way, I think it would be a grand idea to make sure you zero the drive before everything. Not only should this help any small errors the drive has, but it will destroy information that you had on the drive for sure.
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-12-19, 12:27

if you were especially enterprising and nice you could also load all the available system updates after the reinstall...
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-12-19, 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
if you were especially enterprising and nice you could also load all the available system updates after the reinstall...
Don't you have to have created a system account by that time though? I would want to have all the software installed and just never have it reboot after it's done. That way the person would get the computer, start it up, it would be at the setup/registration information screen, and it would be like a new computer for them.
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-12-19, 13:35

yeah, I was thinking exactly that when I was posting...

murbot would know if it is possible to do this...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-12-19, 13:52

I think the only "easy" way to get the updates on a fresh install without creating accounts is by hooking that computer up to another via Target Disk Mode and then install the standalone update packages.

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe Murray usually asks the buyer what name to use and he creates the account accordingly. That way he can update the system and install any necessary software with ease.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-12-19, 17:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
[snip]Either way, I think it would be a grand idea to make sure you zero the drive before everything.[snip]
P.S. Zeroing a drive takes a long time. Like 6 hours long or something (give or take a few hours). Overwriting takes even longer.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-12-20, 01:02

However, if the info on the drive is sensitive in some way, than it would be best to zero the drive. Even if you don't think the new user is tech savvy enough to pull off anything tricky like that, zeroing is a good way to go if you don't want anyone ever knowing what was on that drive.

Come waste your time with me
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-12-20, 22:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Don't you have to have created a system account by that time though?
If you do, you can either put it under the buyer's name or leave instructions on how to get rid of the old Home folder and create a new one.

Apple's documents:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=155373
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106824

It'd be easier to just give the new installation the name of the new user.