Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2007-06-08, 05:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
I'm patient.
Good. Part of my holdings are longer-term too.

Quote:
Were people skeptical about the iPod when it first came out?
Well, you saw the answers to that one. And that's why this gives me a little pause. Not to mention that Apple was near a multi-year low at that time.

Quite a bit is different this time around. Apple is at an all-time high, and the hype around the iPhone is unbelievable. Expectations are up, so Apple has a very high bar to clear. It takes more to move the needle up in this setup.

AAPL certainly has a chance to double this year, similar to the triples it did in 04/05. But I'd like to see a couple weeks or months of iPhone reaction post-release before committing more money to the stock.

To new investors: do your research/due-diligence before buy.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-06-08, 06:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
Pre-iPod.
When half you guys were in diapers.

Actually, to be accurate, you were probably in kindergarten.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-07-19, 13:02

Today, 2pm EST - AAPL = $140.

http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.htm...=AAPL&time=1yr

(Chart shows one year. )

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-07-19, 13:05

I'm still kicking myself for not buying in in 2002 when shares (pre-split) were going for about $14 each. The group I invest with did buy some shares a few months ago when it was in the mid 90s. I have to wonder whether the stock will peak when earnings are announced or if AAPL will do so well they'll continue to climb.
MCQ
Veteran Member

2007-07-20, 07:19

Piper Jaffray upped their target today to $205 from $160, based on their forecast for 2009 iPhone sales of 45 million, and integrating their assumptions for the iPhone sub revenue sharing. Another $2 up premarket so far this morning.

Moving too far too quick?
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2007-07-20, 07:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCQ View Post
Piper Jaffray upped their target today to $205 from $160, based on their forecast for 2009 iPhone sales of 45 million. Another $2 up premarket so far this morning.

Do you get this report? If so, what is the current 2007 P/E and forward projected 2009 P/E? Sounds like this is getting a little crazy. I own the stock but history tells us over and over to sell over hyped stocks.

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
MCQ
Veteran Member

2007-07-20, 07:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoley2 View Post
Do you get this report? If so, what is the current 2007 P/E and forward projected 2009 P/E? Sounds like this is getting a little crazy. I own the stock but history tells us over and over to sell over hyped stocks.
Nope, someone else has received it and posted a summary. I assume they've paraphrased appropriately. Projected forward 09 P/E would be around 20 based on the 09 EPS they mentioned. They didn't note what the estimated 07 or 08 EPS are though, so I don't know what those P/E would be.

http://notablecalls.blogspot.com/200...gt-to-205.html

I've had an order to sell a little into the strength if it got high enough, as it is getting extended a bit here. Don't know if it gets to my target, but it is close.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-07-20, 07:41

Quote:
Piper Jaffray upped their target today to $205 from $160, based on their forecast for 2009 iPhone sales of 45 million, and integrating their assumptions for the iPhone sub revenue sharing. Another $2 up premarket so far this morning.

Next Wed. I think I'm going to put a sell order in, just in case it drops a few dollars after earnings. I'd like to figure out a way to catch it back on the inevitable upswing if I do sell.

I'm thinking an order of -$5 from the previous day with a buy order at -$3, hoping to skim some profits off a selloff... I probably won't do it because I'm a chicken, but it's a thought...
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-07-20, 13:19

Quote:
Piper Jaffray upped their target today to $205 from $160...
Sounds good to me.

I think I've mentioned a couple of times that I bought some Apple shares at $70. It seemed like I had made that purchase just a few months ago; but I finally went searching for that transaction, and it turned out to be... god, I can't believe this... way back in November of 2005!

I know time flies, but that's ridiculous. My sense of the passage of time is apparently... um... greatly flawed.

Anyway, nice to know that at least 'those' shares have doubled in value.
SpecMode
Wait what

2007-07-20, 13:27

Bugger it all, I bought a few shares a couple years ago at around $70-something. Sold mid-last year to recoup funds due to moving. Damn, I wish I had held onto those.

Oh, and they're up $2.61 today, to $142.61 - some big news (other than the Piper Jaffray report) that I'm not seeing?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-07-20, 14:21

How pervasive is the belief that the stock still has upward movement beyond the PJ posit?
Damn, same question that Spec just axed. Sorry.
digitalprimate

2007-07-24, 15:49

And a big, steep fall today! -8 dollar.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-07-24, 16:18

Yeah, it took a big dive today. And will probably still drop even further tomorrow.

Hopefully it doesn't, but If it does, so be it. I'm in for the long haul anyways.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2007-09-06, 14:32

Look for it to "test" the recent lows in the low $120s until more is know about the Q3 sales volumes for iPhones. Depending on overall market, that could be a good place to buy/add.

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-09-06, 19:23

Why did it fall so much yesterday?
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2007-09-06, 19:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend View Post
Why did it fall so much yesterday?
The price drop portends lower volumes and lower margins.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-09-06, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoley2 View Post
The price drop portends lower volumes and lower margins.
Or that AAPL has always been a "buy on the rumors, sell on the news" stock.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-12-10, 13:54

AAPL hovering in the $194 / $195 range.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-12-10, 14:21

Great news, considering I got in at 95.95 in March. I like it when a stock I've bought doubles in 9 months.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-12-10, 15:44

Where's Steve?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-08-05, 09:39

I know this is an old thread but it is really cool to see the numbers from back in 2007. Apple's stock split in 2014 and is now splitting again Friday. I think this is expected to bring the price per share down under $100 again. Might be a good time to buy more if you're the kind who wants to have a stake in Apple.

I have a few shares and pleased with the growth it has had since I bought it a while ago. This is not my "nest egg" but more of an educational experience in trading stocks without doing day trading tactics.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2020-08-05, 10:27

A few of us were going back and forth on Twitter about this.

There are some benefits to getting the price back down under $100/share. I know that was a big thing for me, who was only putting in a small amount of money and $100/share is a manageable price.

However, with the ability to buy portions of stocks through things like Robinhood, the price isn't that big of a factor any longer.

That being said, I did sell a few shares of other stock and bought into Apple with that money.

I sold my last bundle of Apple stock right before the last split to buy my car, so it'll be nice to take advantage of this split this time.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-08-05, 11:05

We had stock in Apple right up until last Friday morning. With the huge spike on Thursday afternoon and the huge (again) spike in after hours and pre-trade, I felt certain it would take the normal Friday morning drop for the weekend. I sold at market open to take advantage of that and sure enough, it fell right out of the gates.

And then it sky-rocketed!

We originally bought in at 356. Sold at 380. Bought back in at 363 and then sold at 407. The stock was still dropping an hour after opening, but then it got famous for some reason ( ). I feel dumb about that last sale. Now it's setting at $440-ish. Didn't lose anything, but left a lot on the table. So it goes.

As of right now, it isn't looking good for getting that split under $100. The stock is going to have to take a pretty dramatic tumble between now and the 24th. But the split is well timed for me since I want to get back in before the fall iPhone cycle.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-08-05, 12:41

I'm thinking I'm going to get a few more shares. I'm not interested in Robinhood or anything of that nature. I'll go with mutual funds if that's the route I want to go. Seems like I would actually lose value by splitting it and I haven't even looked into it other than a cursory search of it.

While I'm certain the value with go up again for Apple stock, I'm thinking buy some after the split and then sell near the end of the pandemic when there is less demand for these kinds of devices at home.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2020-08-06, 18:14

I bought at right about a buck, split-adjusted. (It was during the dark times.)

I sold at $38, same, for a down payment on a house.

That was 10 years ago, I sold two weeks before the iPad was announced. I could have bought the house outright 4x over if I'd held onto it until now.

*sob*

(Even worse, my wife and sons asked me two weeks ago to invest a small amount for us all, and I said sure, and *FORGOT*, and now am I a horse's ass or what.)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-08-06, 18:31

Hindsight and all that crap.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2020-08-07, 16:55

Yeah, so I just looked at this. If instead of buying a $999 iMac in July 2007 when this thread was running, you bought $999 of stock, you'd have $43,253 today.

Sleep well all.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-08-07, 18:03

Yeah. Shut up!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-08-07, 23:45

LOL

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-08-09, 09:20

If I’d spent the $2k I spent on my G4 tower in 2000 on Apple stock I’d be a millionaire. Hindsight is delightful.