MMS coming September 25, working now on 3.1

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MMS coming September 25, working now on 3.1
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
Justin

2009-09-03, 16:26

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=1574

Quote:
We know many of our iPhone customers are eager for an update on our rollout schedule for Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS). We’ve been working for the past several months to prepare our systems and network to ensure the best possible experience with MMS when it launches – and that launch date is: September 25 for iPhone 3G and 3GS customers. MMS will be enabled through a software update on that day.
Also, it looks like the wait for September 25 is for 3.1 to come out becuase it's already working now if you have 3.1

Quagmire
meh

2009-09-03, 16:53

So now can I sue since September 25 is officially fall and AT&T stated late summer?

AT&T should at least compensate us for their tardiness.

Justin

2009-09-03, 16:56

Yeah, they actually admitted they were late by "3 days" on their Facebook page
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-03, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
So now can I sue since September 25 is officially fall and AT&T stated late summer?

AT&T should at least compensate us for their tardiness.

They should let us get out of our contracts for free.

What if someone signed a contract, knowing that they'd need MMS for school for some reason?
Iago

2009-09-03, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Yeah, they actually admitted they were late by "3 days" on their Facebook page
I'm astounded by that. Take a screenshot before they change it
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2009-09-03, 21:00

Isn't 3.1 supposed to kill the tethering hack?

Fuck that. No MMS for me.

Also, I love that this happy iPhone customer is using a first-gen iPhone. In the paragraph literally right below that picture, AT&T states:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Greedy Cocks at AT&T
We’ve been working for the past several months to prepare our systems and network to ensure the best possible experience with MMS when it launches – and that launch date is: September 25 for iPhone 3G and 3GS customers. MMS will be enabled through a software update on that day.
No wonder Apple doesn't let AT&T handle any aspect of iPhone marketing Apple finally gives them one measly little webpage with one measly little picture and they manage to fuck it up anyways.

Seriously, though. 9/25? MMS! 9/26? MASSIVE data outages across the country.

You think that 3G coverage/speed sucks now? You ain't seen nothin' yet. Things have been getting steadily worse since the 3GS came out, and AT&T expects us to believe everything will be fixed and ready to handle even more data in a mere three weeks?

Right. And I have a bridge to sell you in Alaska.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2009-09-03 at 21:15.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-03, 21:05

Yeah, AT&T is sort of incompetent like that. I know officially all is well but I can't imagine Apple is too happy with their relationship, especially with about half of potential iPhone purchasers citing AT&T as their biggest gripe.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-09-03, 21:06

I noticed that earlier..."hey, she's using an iPhone like mine!"

But I guess it's just one of those advertising thing (kinda like when companies run ads for Windows or PC-based software and accessories...and Macs are shown).

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-03, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
But I guess it's just one of those advertising thing (kinda like when companies run ads for Windows or PC-based software and accessories...and Macs are shown).
Macs are always shown in ads (and movies). They just look nicer.

Of course now you really can run Windows on a Mac so I guess that's not technically a mistake any more.

But still it's weird, like how Dell used to advertise all their computers with extremely Aqua-esque backgrounds.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Justin

2009-09-03, 21:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Seriously, though. 9/25? MMS! 9/26? MASSIVE data outages across the country.
Let's hope they used the last 3 months wisely and actually upgraded their network, MMS server, etc.

...won't be surprised if you are right though
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2009-09-03, 21:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I noticed that earlier..."hey, she's using an iPhone like mine!"
No 3GS for you? You must be due for an upgrade.

It's funny. I see a silver iPhone and immediately think "ha, look at that ancient technology!" Yet I vividly remember spending twelve hours in line so I could spend $600 to get some "ancient technology."

It was totally worth it, though. That first year? Awesome. I'd bust out the iPhone and everyone in a ten foot radius would squeal "is that an iPhone?!?!?!"

Now everyone has one. Oh well.

Quote:
Let's hope they used the last 3 months wisely and actually upgraded their network, MMS server, etc.
That's the thing, though. When I bought the 3GS, it was noticeably faster. I was in Boston the other day (as in, in Boston, not 30 minutes outside, where I live) and I couldn't get a reliable 3G connection to save my life. I had to switch to EDGE until I left the city.

Boston! A city with only 600,000 people! I can't even imagine how much it must suck in NYC, LA or Chicago.

I had two dropped calls today. Before this summer I never had dropped calls. Things are getting worse and they are about to add even more to the load.

tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-09-03, 21:28

Quote:
It was totally worth it, though. That first year? Awesome. I'd bust out the iPhone and everyone in a ten foot radius would squeal "is that an iPhone?!?!?!"

Now everyone has one. Oh well.
Off-topic (click to toggle):
This reminds me of when the Motorola RAZR came out oh so long ago as the it phone and people who lacked one gushed over it ...Then, after a year and some change, everyone had one and carriers started literally giving them away. Though the iPhone, for obvious reasons, sits in a completely different league, and will probably never be given away. Having said that, it kind of amazes me that one can get a refurb iPhone 3G for $49.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2009-09-03, 21:34

AT&T simply can't handle the iPhone. They just can't. They've had almost 3 years to get a network that could handle it. 3 freakin' years and things are worse now than they were before.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2009-09-03, 21:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
This reminds me of when the Motorola RAZR came out oh so long ago as the it phone and people who lacked one gushed over it ...Then, after a year and some change, everyone had one and carriers started literally giving them away. Though the iPhone, for obvious reasons, sits in a completely different league, and will probably never be given away. Having said that, it kind of amazes me that one can get a refurb iPhone 3G for $49.
Heh. I had a RAZR when they were cool too. I guess I'm just a gadget whore.

We were on Verizon forever. My first three phones were Verizon. Then the iPhone rumors started swirling and one day I told my Dad (who likes gadgets as much as I do, but unlike me, actually has the money required to get them) "hey, look. Apple is going to release a phone. And it's going to be Cingular. So we should let the Verizon contract run out and switch so we don't have to worry about it then."

So then the contract runs out and we go to the Cingular store. I'm poking around and I found some cheapy LG I liked because I liked the LG I had with Verizon (this was before Verizon was in the business of fucking up every phone they had with their own UI.) It was free with contract so I told Dad I found the phone I wanted, and he goes "oh no no. I want this RAZR. And I won't know how to use it unless you teach me so you're getting one too." They didn't cost $600 like they did when they launched, but that was definitely before they were free with contract.

Bam. RAZR. I was the coolest kid in 10th grade That was before I realized it was a shitty ass phone with a terrible interface. I hung onto it for three years and then we jumped to iPhone.

And believe it or not, that shitty RAZR I had in 2004 was less likely to drop a call than my iPhone 3GS is.

Justin

2009-09-03, 21:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
AT&T simply can't handle the iPhone. They just can't. They've had almost 3 years to get a network that could handle it. 3 freakin' years and things are worse now than they were before.
The problem is the same with the highways, as soon as they finishing doubling the lanes there is four times the amount of cars. Nothing will fix the problem until 4G.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-09-03, 21:44

Quote:
The problem is the same with the highways, as soon as they finishing doubling the lanes there is four times the amount of cars. Nothing will fix the problem until 4G.
I haven't had any problems with 3G in Chicago. Good coverage there, IMO. Honestly, I always feel like the exception. I haven't experienced any coverage problems except in thick concrete buildings. Only gripe I have is occassional network slow down. Maybe I've just been on AT&T so long Im use to it.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Justin

2009-09-03, 21:48

Yeah, I feel like the exception most of the time myself.

I was in Chicago in mid January this year and my iPhone worked pretty well most of the time. Also, at home in Miami it works great, just wish I could get above 1.5mbps.

Every time I visit NYC it sucks horribly...even after they say they have added more towers. Going back to NYC in a couple weeks so I can put it to the test again.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-03, 21:49

Quote:
Heh. I had a RAZR when they were cool too. I guess I'm just a gadget whore.
Me too.

Pearl grey RAZR with a dragon "tattoo" (etched from the factory, not some shitty decal thing). It sucked but I loved it.

I was all over Motorola back then...their software sucked but it was like they could do no wrong, design-wise. PEBL? SLVR? And then they came out with the KRZR, which everyone was excited for...but that was sort of the beginning of the end, and they made the V3c and -i and -m and -t and -s and -a and -r and people just stopped caring.

I remember being excited about the RIZR, because of its 2 MP camera. But by the time the RAZR2 came out (phones are like movie sequels, never number your installments), the world had long moved on, first to the Chocolate (which also had a shitty UI, in the US) and LG's Black Label phones and then to the iPhone.

Motorola was never able to catch lightning in a bottle twice (well, unless that's what the RAZR was, if you count the StarTAC). Just like the StarTAC, they got one hip phone and then weren't really sure what to do with it. Samsung successfully expanded their (technically far superior) Ultra line into the SoUL and Ultra Smart and Ultra Touch but Motorola could never do the same with their 4LTR phones (unless you count the Q). Which is a shame, because there's part of me that still likes their design (and their nigh-obnoxious NMNG, even).

They're poised to make their (second?) comeback on the 10th, when they'll announce their first Android devices. I can't wait.

My best friend and I would never have met if I didn't get a Samsung T509, when they were new (and still the thinnest phones ever). True story. And...knowing us, that's somehow appropriate.

tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-09-03, 23:36

Oh my. I completely forgot about the Motorola ROKR.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-04, 00:15

Quote:
Oh my. I completely forgot about the Motorola ROKR.
I think everybody completely forgot about the ROKR. It wasn't at all a bad phone (and it was very reasonably priced, for what it was) but it wasn't the iPhone that everybody was hoping for (and it was quite forgettable, since it wasn't even an original design). And it was totally overshadowed by the iPod nano, which Apple announced on the very same day.

It's a shame that the first ROKR sort of sullied the name (very Microsoft, that), because subsequent models were actually a lot better - but they were often confined to Asia because the first one did so poorly here. And that's why you don't launch a much ballyhooed new line with a mediocre product.

tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-09-04, 07:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I think everybody completely forgot about the ROKR. It wasn't at all a bad phone (and it was very reasonably priced, for what it was) but it wasn't the iPhone that everybody was hoping for (and it was quite forgettable, since it wasn't even an original design).
I imagine that's the point where Apple said "Fuck it. We need to design our own phone."
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-09-04, 09:34

Quote:
I imagine that's the point where Apple said "Fuck it. We need to design our own phone."
I think there's more to it than that. The ROKR had an asinine 100-song limitation (regardless of the size of memory card). I'm not sure if this requirement came from Motorola, but I wouldn't be surprised if it came from Apple, trying to avoid iPod nano sale cannibalization.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2009-09-04, 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
That's true for the most part. They have always been weak when it comes to network operations. There is no excuse other than poor leadership. The funny thing is the iPhone hasn't been that good of a deal for them or other carriers for that matter. Sure they got a lot of subs but at a big cost. The subsidy on the phone is huge which drives subs but at a cost to the bottom line. More importantly, their reputation is taking a beating and in this industry it can be hard to gain back. Just look at Sprint. People have long memories.
Justin

2009-09-04, 10:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
The funny thing is the iPhone hasn't been that good of a deal for them or other carriers for that matter. Sure they got a lot of subs but at a big cost. The subsidy on the phone is huge which drives subs but at a cost to the bottom line. More importantly, their reputation is taking a beating and in this industry it can be hard to gain back. Just look at Sprint. People have long memories.
They aren't hurting due to the subsidy, they make back that cost in like 3-6 months. Remember not only do they get new subscribers, they get "smart phone" subscribers that spend a minimum of ~$70 a month on their phone instead of like $40.

I'm not sure how much better Verizon would have done with the explosion of data phone users, but ATT really dropped the ball here.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2009-09-04, 19:20

Quote:
Yeah, I feel like the exception most of the time myself.

I was in Chicago in mid January this year and my iPhone worked pretty well most of the time. Also, at home in Miami it works great, just wish I could get above 1.5mbps.

Every time I visit NYC it sucks horribly...even after they say they have added more towers. Going back to NYC in a couple weeks so I can put it to the test again.
Don't be greedy

I live within 20 miles of the city and i'm lucky if i hit 500 kbps on my 3GS. Just ran a dslreports speed test, 322 kbps
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-04, 19:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I think there's more to it than that. The ROKR had an asinine 100-song limitation (regardless of the size of memory card). I'm not sure if this requirement came from Motorola, but I wouldn't be surprised if it came from Apple, trying to avoid iPod nano sale cannibalization.
I'm sure that limitation came from Apple. Why would Motorola want to artificially cripple their own phone?

It's not like they were trying to sell more profitable music players at the same time...Apple was.

I feel sort of bad for Moto, I really do. I just checked their store...apparently they were clearing out the ROKR U9 (like the RAZR2 V9, but in PEBL U6 form) for $132. That's just $2 more than what they're selling the original RAZR V3 for. It was like a one-hit blunder.

I hope they make their comeback on the 10th. Some of their upcoming phones for Verizon were leaked, and they actually look pretty cool...and with Android they might finally get a good OS...

Last edited by Robo : 2009-09-04 at 19:42.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-09-04, 22:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Holy effin' crap. I didn't know about the ROKR's arbitrary 100 song limit. To take the implications of such an inane constraint to the extreme, someone could have the song All ( 0:01 ) by The Descendents 100 times, or In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida ( 17:02 ) by Iron Butterfly 100 times. A 102,200% disparity!

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-04, 22:47

Quote:
Holy effin' crap. I didn't know about the ROKR's arbitrary 100 song limit. To take the implications of such an inane constraint to the extreme, someone could have the song All ( 0:01 ) by The Descendents 100 times, or In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida ( 17:02 ) by Iron Butterfly 100 times. A 102,200% disparity!
To be fair, in 2005 the average TransFlash (wow, typing that brings me back)/microSD card would have been, what, 512MB or 1GB? - around the size of the 2005 iPod shuffles. So while irritating in its implementation (since, with 512MB or 1GB of capacity, the ROKR E1 wasn't really a threat to higher-end iPods anyway), practically speaking it's unlikely anyone could fit 100 copies of a 17-minute song on their microSD card anyway, at least not at any reasonable quality (even if they sprung for a 2GB microSD card, wow! )

And just to be clear, it's the ROKR E1 (and, in some countries, the RAZR V3i) we're talking about here - the ROKR line continues to this day, and all the subsequent models have no such limitation (of course, they don't work as nicely with iTunes, either ).

tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-09-04, 23:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
To be fair, in 2005 the average TransFlash (wow, typing that brings me back)/microSD card would have been, what, 512MB or 1GB? - around the size of the 2005 iPod shuffles. So while irritating in its implementation (since, with 512MB or 1GB of capacity, the ROKR E1 wasn't really a threat to higher-end iPods anyway), practically speaking it's unlikely anyone could fit 100 copies of a 17-minute song on their microSD card anyway, at least not at any reasonable quality (even if they sprung for a 2GB microSD card, wow! )

And just to be clear, it's the ROKR E1 (and, in some countries, the RAZR V3i) we're talking about here - the ROKR line continues to this day, and all the subsequent models have no such limitation (of course, they don't work as nicely with iTunes, either ).
I realized the memory limitation, Robo. I was just taking the absurdity of the rule to its logical extremes.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2009-09-05, 09:00

Quote:
....I'm not sure how much better Verizon would have done with the explosion of data phone users, but ATT really dropped the ball here.
Verizon's network is well built but it would slow down too if they were the sole provider for the iPhone. They would handle it better but there would still be problems. iPhones use a lot of data and when there are concentrations of them the network buckles. The only way AT&T can fix this is if the exclusivity ends or maybe reduce the subsidy which would raise the barrier to entry. These problems will continue for a few more years if nothing changes.