Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Recording TV on OS X to watch on iPod?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Recording TV on OS X to watch on iPod?
MagSafe

2007-02-06, 14:23

Hi folks,

With all the great programmes and movies that are being broadcast on TV at the moment (in the UK anyway), i'm thinking it would be good to have the ability to record it all into iTunes to watch at a later date on my iPod.

I had a quick look at what was on offer on the Apple Store and there is definetly a good selection to choose from. Some are quite expensive, including remotes for watching TV with. All i'm looking for is something I can plug in my roof-top aerial connector into and be easily able to record video in OS X and easily transfer it into iTunes (full quality).

Do any other forum members do the same? If so, could you recommend a device that I could get to do this?

Thanks

Find me on Twitter: @StevenMcLintock
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-02-06, 14:33

I have the elgato DTT stick, its about 69.99 or something from amazon. Using the Elgato EyeTV software, you can schedule recordings etc from the program guide. Then you can set them to automatically export to itunes 'tv shows' with all the program information. So all you have to do is click on the show(s) you want to record and when you come back they will be sitting there in your itunes. Naturally you can then just stick them on your iPod.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2007-02-06, 21:30

Yeah, EyeTV is great.
I've got an older EyeTV 200 to watch/record from my DirecTV dish and a EyeTV 500 to get over-the-air HD.

Elgato makes great products.
chris e boy

2007-02-08, 08:49

Im with you on the EyeTV. Ive got an EyeTV for DTT (the one that comes in a matchstick sized box) and its great.

Converting to iPod format takes a little while on my 1.6 iMac G5 though, I normally record to a removable drive then use visualhub on my mac pro in the study to convert it.