User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple's Mail.app

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple's Mail.app
surjones

2008-09-12, 09:37

I dont understand why Apple has not created a backup option for mail. Liability they're trying to avoid?
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-09-12, 09:39

Just back up the folders that hold the emails.
surjones

2008-09-12, 09:53

LOL - that is not Really backing up though. - I have 20 personal folders, and yes although the emails are in there, I would have to create those folders then run Emix Converter on each individual folder , import the Mbox and then take them from the local folder and drag them to the respective folder. Too much work.
rasmits
rams it

2008-09-12, 09:55

Time Machine

More seriously, is your email not stored on the server?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-09-12, 10:11

Yeah, what's the problem with the *existing* back up system? What sort of 'back up' are you looking for?
surjones

2008-09-12, 10:16

Like outlook has, Export and import. Simple. I have IMAP. So everything is synched.

But for some people who have POP and personal folders, the work flow would have to be the last post I did. that's horrible.I think
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-09-12, 10:44

Still not seeing the reason for this...

Export and import... for what purpose that isn't covered by a simple back up of the drive?

Moving mail from one machine to another? (Backup->restore.)
Archive mail? (Archive feature in Leopard Mail.)

What workflow are you looking for here?
surjones

2008-09-12, 11:08

Archive Mailbox would seem to solve this issue, BUT here is a question that should be simple enough, why is it under Mail and under File as a simple back up, no idea. thanks for the help!

One Question: Assuming the way to go about this is to: Under Inbox, select the mailbox of the email you want to archive, and then right click and high Archive. Does this back up the folders, such as, all personal folders, and below the Inbox, there are matching email named folders, to which has the personal folders are in, now typically the sent and trash are in there, but in my case and many, you select the Trash and do the Mail>Used this mailbox for>trash, or sent. Does the sent snych as well to that Archive of that mailbox?
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2008-09-12, 12:34

Apple's Backup programme (not Time Machine) has a simple tick box list of all the stuff on your computer, where you just select the items you want and it backs them up.

So in this case you select Mail and it backs up your mail. You can then take that file and transfer it to another machine, if you wanted etc..

I don't really see the point in having a backup function in Mail when backing up things is either Time Machine's or Backup's job?
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2008-09-12, 13:21

You have an archive option for mailboxes, I guess you could archive it then backup the archive folder!

Anyway, my email usage has evolved. I treat emails like phone calls. I save any important information (ether into my contact database, calendar, etc) and then delete the message!

I have actually started doing the same with post. Bills, recipts and letters all get scanned, saved and then shredded. Thanks to time machine and my drobo, I am very slowly starting to see a reduction in the amount of paper in my home office (not counting the stuff in the shredder!)

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-09-12, 13:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
I have actually started doing the same with post. Bills, recipts and letters all get scanned, saved and then shredded. Thanks to time machine and my drobo, I am very slowly starting to see a reduction in the amount of paper in my home office (not counting the stuff in the shredder!)
Ooooh, yeah. A Fujitsu ScanSnap, and 10 full boxes of files fit on a 4GB USB thumb drive, which goes in the safety deposit box.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2008-09-12, 21:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Ooooh, yeah. A Fujitsu ScanSnap, and 10 full boxes of files fit on a 4GB USB thumb drive, which goes in the safety deposit box.
Agreed. But it must be Flash.
The thought of having all that kind of stuff backed up on an HD scares the bejesus out of me.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2008-09-13, 05:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
Agreed. But it must be Flash.
The thought of having all that kind of stuff backed up on an HD scares the bejesus out of me.
That's why I use my drobo. It's got 4 drives in a RAID like config. I just need to sort out some offsite backups incase some light-fingered scumbag has off with my gear. Whenever I go away for more than a day, I stash the drobo somewhere in the house.

Ether that, or I am going to make some sort of "safe cupboard".

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2009-04-17, 16:00

Mail has been running really shitty for me lately. Well, I don't know if it's Mail or gmail, but before my emails would come as soon as they were coming in, but now there's a few minute delay between when they actually come and when they get to Mail.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Any ideas how to fix it?

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey