AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The unOfficial "Avatar: Thread--James Cameron's next Project

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The unOfficial "Avatar: Thread--James Cameron's next Project
Page 7 of 7 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7]  Thread Tools
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2010-01-19, 16:17

They could make an Avatar colouring book and Crayola set... almost all in shades of blue.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2010-01-19, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Well, "Titanic" was never that kind of movie to begin with. (...)
But it was that kind of ship!

Unfortunately for Cameron, the merchandise was already on the market when he was a school boy. He might even have put one together himself.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-01-24, 15:48

Avatar is now $6M behind Titanic for all-time worldwide BO gross, and is hardly slowing down.
Eugene
careful with axes

2010-01-24, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Avatar is now $6M behind Titanic for all-time worldwide BO gross, and is hardly slowing down.
Yeah, pretty amazing...I severely underestimated the 3D ticket revenue share...it's around 80%, which is astonishing.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2010-01-26, 17:24

Just gotten back from seeing it in 3D. Was everything I hoped it'd be — not better, not worse. Mindless, gorgeous, immersive fun.
Eugene
careful with axes

2010-01-26, 18:23

Dunno, the RealD or IMAX 3D experience still doesn't do it for me. People still look like cardboard cut-outs in close-up frames.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2010-01-28, 12:12

Avatar sinks Titanic (again) for the $$$ record... Yes!

Lucas to re-release all six Star Wars films in 3D... Nooooooo!

Quote:

While the fairies project is still firmly under wraps, Lucas did speak to Access Hollywood earlier this month to talk how Avatar's spectacular success has reignited a long-held desire to bring all six Star Wars movies - and yes, that does mean the Phantom Menace et al - back to cinemas in stereoscopic vision.

"I liked it," Lucas said, in reference to James Cameron's megalith. "I'm happy it's so successful, and worked very well in 3D. Haven't been a big fan of 3D, but that movie definitely improves in the field of 3D.

"We've been looking for years and years and years of trying to take Star Wars and put it in 3D," he added. "But the technology hasn't been there. We've been struggling with it, but I think this will be a new impetus to make that happen."
/facepalm
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-01-28, 12:14

I'd go see IV-VI again in 3-D. Not the other ones.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-01-28, 13:31

I don't think I would sit through episodes 1-3 again unless George offered me my very own (working) Millennium Falcon (and even then I'd have to think about it...what kind of mileage it got, annual maintenance costs, etc.).

For that matter, I don't even think I'd be interested in seeing the original classic trilogy in 3D. I swear, every time I turn around, they're monkeying with it more and more. I've rolled my eyes, muttered to myself and lived with some of the unnecessary, gimmicky CGI additions and "enhancements" on the originals, but I'm getting a little tired of seeing my favorite movies (well, two of them anyway) constantly getting updated/tweaked/sweetened/enhanced/modified/improved.

It adds little, yet takes away so much.

They were pretty damn good, as is, in 1977 and 1980, as I recall, thankyouverymuch.

There's something called "charm" and a more vague, "of the moment" feeling tied to these things. And the further it gets from that, and the more stuff that gets piled on, it just strips away some of those good feelings and memories.

So knock it off, already. Go retool "Howard the Duck" in 3D or something, and leave the good stuff alone for a while.

To take something that is so close to perfection, and just keep chipping away at it, 30 years later, in some vain, desperate attempt to "make it better"...it's just so unnecessary, and it's not helping. It's certainly not helping a particular filmmaker's legacy and reputation. People would rather boo him, or throw things at him, if he walked into a room now. And that's so sad, considering...
Noel

2010-01-28, 14:02

How the hell can Lucas make the Star Wars films — especially the original trilogy — 3D? I mean, making any of the CGI 3D would be no big deal (although it would take time to re-render all those shots from two angles), but the live action? It was all filmed through one lens...
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2010-01-28, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel View Post
How the hell can Lucas make the Star Wars films — especially the original trilogy — 3D? I mean, making any of the CGI 3D would be no big deal (although it would take time to re-render all those shots from two angles), but the live action? It was all filmed through one lens...
They (you know, THEM ) are working on doing exactly this. It'll be some kind of "fake" 3D post process.

You could go simple and make separate planes I suppose. Ken Burns type stuff. Like push the background imagery onto a further away back plane. Or you could get really fancy and try to make textures from the actual film footage and use that to somehow... uh... do something that looked 3D. It doesn't sound good to me, whatever it is they plan on doing to our favorite films. I read somewhere that Raiders of the Lost Ark in particular is a movie they want to apply this new tech to.

Ugh.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2010-01-28, 14:55

He'll probably take two cameras, set them up for the special angel etc. necessary for 3D, then drop his pants and take a giant shit all over everything in his path.

He can call that Episode 1-3 in 3D and no one would know the difference.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2010-01-28, 14:57

Slave Leia in 3D = WIN
JarJar Binks in 3D = Fail
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2010-01-28, 15:02

Messa ruin your dreamsa!

ime_NY

2010-01-29, 14:52

Finally caught it last night in 3D. Whoa.

Totally predictable but visually astonishing. I wonder how this will translate into Blu-ray.

Perhaps now I will finally watch Titanic (still haven't seen it after all these years!)
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2010-02-07, 23:36

Best effects I've seen since LoTR, but I still think that trilogy did a better job of not over-doing it while keeping everything very authentic looking. Overall an entertaining movie, but a story we've seen variations on 100x, and weak dialog. Two things really annoyed the crap out of me:

1) Making the Navi act and sound like Indians from an old cowboy western. I know the American movie public is largely a collection of dumbed down rednecks but Jeezus couldn't we be a little more subtle / creative minded here than having a bunch of yipping, war-hungry tribal beings? Fuck. For such an out-of-the-box world he created, Cameron sure was content to use the most over-done of movie cliches for this people.

2) Unobtanium?? Seriously? Why not just call it toughtofindium or hardtomineium. Fuckingtardedium.

...into the light of a dark black night.