AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

General suggestions

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
General suggestions
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
MACSRULETHEWORLD

Send a message via AIM to MACSRULETHEWORLD  
2004-06-30, 19:53

yeah, i come from the "old TS" board, and just missed a few things, first, the lack of a "fast reply" box. i don't know how hard it is to code one of those things, but just a suggestion. also, mayhaps we could have avatars. i really liked those as it helps identify the poster very quickly and adds another level of originality, or self expression.

anyway, just some thoughts. BTW, great board you have going on here, i look forward to this maturing into a well-developed community

-MRTW
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-06-30, 19:58

I think the Fast Reply thing from the TS boards is a kick ass feature and would love to see it here. I doubt you'll see avatars here. Though things may change. Meanwhile, you can add your current avatar as your Profile Picture if you haven't done so already.

And welcome to AppleNova.

Edit-Just checked your profile...you already did it.
Windows Breaker G4

Send a message via ICQ to Windows Breaker G4 Send a message via AIM to Windows Breaker G4  
2004-06-30, 20:01

i would also like to see quick reply.
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2004-06-30, 20:20

Quick reply good. Avatar bad.

Anything that speeds up the conversation should be useful. However, I find Avatars terribly distracting. More importantly, Avatars slow load times, just like big signatures with inline images.

Escher

PS: It's good to see more faces from the "old TS" boards.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2004-06-30, 20:32

Yes, avatars are bad...as are screen names in all caps!
Bones3D

2004-06-30, 20:54

Just out of curiousity... why the anti-avatar sentiment? I noticed the forum software does allow the user to set whether or not avatars are visible when viewing a thread. As long as the avatars aren't being hosted by the forum server, there shouldn't be any local bandwidth issues.

I'd say enable them, then just let the user decide whether or not to show them... that way everyone gets what they want.

8==8 Bones 8==8
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-06-30, 21:14

quick reply = ugly and pointless
Windows Breaker G4

Send a message via ICQ to Windows Breaker G4 Send a message via AIM to Windows Breaker G4  
2004-06-30, 21:18

You know i am starting to think bones MRTW other TS members maybe this is not the place for us.
synotic

2004-06-30, 21:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones3D
Just out of curiousity... why the anti-avatar sentiment? I noticed the forum software does allow the user to set whether or not avatars are visible when viewing a thread. As long as the avatars aren't being hosted by the forum server, there shouldn't be any local bandwidth issues.

I'd say enable them, then just let the user decide whether or not to show them... that way everyone gets what they want.
I think they're referring more to the load time for people who browser the forums.

Although you make an interesting point about allowing the user to make the choice. If that were to happen, I think that avatars should be off by default. Would make everyone happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
quick reply = ugly and pointless
How exactly is it "ugly"? There's not set look to a quick reply box and it can be integrated cleanly into the current design. I don't see how it's pointless, for people that make a lot posts it's easier to not have to load another page just to make a reply.

Also I'm sure we'll never see this.. but it would be nice if quoting multiple people could be facilitated... i.e. adding quote buttons on the topic review below that would use javascript (same as the smilies) to add the quote to the bottom of the post. But that would probably be a little used feature, so I don't see it coming any time soon.

And is it impossible to get around where the text area gets scrolled up when you add a smiley? Is that a browser thing or just bad coding on vB's part?

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows Breaker G4
You know i am starting to think bones MRTW other TS members maybe this is not the place for us.
Sorry but this just made me laugh... no avatars.. no discussion.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-06-30, 21:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows Breaker G4
Might I inquire as to why you think that? Granted it's not the same as the TS boards, but variety is the spice of life

I know some members here are very set in their ways...we know how we like things done and the way we like our boards to look, but don't let that scare you off. We're glad to have you here.

Come waste your time with me
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-06-30, 21:36

I'm actually a fan of the quick reply box, and in vBulletin you can even "windowshade" the quick reply box. vB sets that to a cookie so it remembers to hide it on future visits. I'm going to go enable it right now, because I forgot it was a feature in vB3. As for avatars, there is a long standing history of avatars with this community.

When we admin'd AppleInsider.com, we chose not to allow avatars because they clashed too heavily with the design of the site; mostly an aesthetic issue, but also modem users chimed in with bandwidth complaints.

You can have avatars here though. As soon as you hit 10,000 posts, they're all yours

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2004-06-30, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCash
I'm actually a fan of the quick reply box, and in vBulletin you can even "windowshade" the quick reply box. vB sets that to a cookie so it remembers to hide it on future visits. I'm going to go enable it right now, because I forgot it was a feature in vB3. As for avatars, there is a long standing history of avatars with this community.

When we admin'd AppleInsider.com, we chose not to allow avatars because they clashed too heavily with the design of the site; mostly an aesthetic issue, but also modem users chimed in with bandwidth complaints.

You can have avatars here though. As soon as you hit 10,000 posts, they're all yours
sweet, I love this feature.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-06-30, 21:45

<sees quick reply>

<shudders>

<searches franticly for a way to turn it off>

ahhhh, life is good again
psgamer0921

2004-06-30, 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher
Quick reply good. Avatar bad.

Anything that speeds up the conversation should be useful. However, I find Avatars terribly distracting. More importantly, Avatars slow load times, just like big signatures with inline images.

Escher

PS: It's good to see more faces from the "old TS" boards.
Well, the Apple support forums seemed to pull it off relativley well
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2004-06-30, 21:47

<sees quick reply>
<hits the icon>
<types fast message>
ahhhh, life is getting better by the minute
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-06-30, 21:50

Some places do, some don't. I for one would hate to see them here. I'm all about things being simple. Grey background, black boarders, black text, greyish links. It's all part of a theme, and a great looking one at that. I would hate to come onto AN someday and see everyone with an avatar...it's nothing more than an assault on the eyes.

I think the 10,000 post rule is cool, because those members who have been around long enough to get to 10,000 obviously know how to conduct themselves in an appropriate and mature enough way to keep the avatar within reasonable limits.

Come waste your time with me
Bones3D

2004-06-30, 22:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCash

Interesting thought, but as synotic said, having them turned off by default would address those issues.

Just out of curiousity, (and forgive me if I'm reading into this the wrong way) what is with the sarcasm over this? It is a perfectly legitimate concern and one that the nearly 2,000 users I'm probably sending your way are going to be asking about later on.

The gist of this, is that software should always conform to the user's needs, not the other way around. Mac users have come to expect that.

8==8 Bones 8==8
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-06-30, 22:01

Quote:
I think the 10,000 post rule is cool, because those members who have been around long enough to get to 10,000 obviously know how to conduct themselves in an appropriate and mature enough way to keep the avatar within reasonable limits.

HAHAHAHAHAHHA
sure...

Last edited by Paul : 2004-06-30 at 22:02. Reason: well, quick reply is going to take some getting used to...
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-06-30, 22:32

Quick Reply Rules! What is there to complain about DMBand??? Krikey!
autodata
hustlin

2004-06-30, 22:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Quote:
HAHAHAHAHAHHA
sure...

Yeah, no kidding. Go check out other boards. 8000+ post folks (particularly those who aren't admins or mods) are sometimes some of the worst.

And I've always hated avatars. They are just a fashion statement. The content of the posts should be the center of attention.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-06-30, 22:45

I think DMBand just wants to be the first one with an avatar.
Hey, how do I get smilies in a quick reply???

I say give 'em avatars. If people that loath them don't have to see them then who cares???

Holy Crap! Quick reply is awesome!
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-06-30, 22:47

I would like to see a "Direct Link" button somewhere on posts. That way, you can send someone directly to the post you want them to see, without having to tell them "Look for the fourth one down, er wait, I think the fifth one, well, it's the first that user XXXXX posted in this thread..." I just noticed that MacNN has one. Nice feature.
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-06-30, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
I think DMBand just wants to be the first one with an avatar.
Hey, how do I get smilies in a quick reply???

I say give 'em avatars. If people that loath them don't have to see them then who cares???

Holy Crap! Quick reply is awesome!
memorize the code...

and luca, right on. I've wanted a direct link button for a while now, I'd say like 6 months before the split. It would be a most welcome addition.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
Bones3D

2004-06-30, 23:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
I would like to see a "Direct Link" button somewhere on posts. That way, you can send someone directly to the post you want them to see, without having to tell them "Look for the fourth one down, er wait, I think the fifth one, well, it's the first that user XXXXX posted in this thread..." I just noticed that MacNN has one. Nice feature.
Actually, posts do have a tag in them already... the only pain of it is checking the page source for them. Anyway you want to look for the following:

Code:
<td class="alt2" style="border-bottom: 1px black solid;"> <!~~ status icon and date ~~> <a name="post10855">
So to link it:

http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...=742#post10855

Not exactly efficient, but it works.

8==8 Bones 8==8
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-06-30, 23:32

I am aware. I've looked in the source to get individual post links before, but it's usually quicker just to count the number of posts and say that it's the Xth post from the top/bottom or whatever. The idea of a direct link button is the convenience. Opening the source is no more convenient than telling someone exactly which post to look for.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-07-01, 00:24

Just my opinion, okay?

When I joined AI.com, the very 'first' thing I did was comment in the suggestion forum that it would be nice to have avatars. I was used to them from my previous board.

But then I got used to 'not' having them. Now, when I go back for quick visits to my old board (I was a mod there), the avatars - especially the ones in motion - drive me crazy. They are so *incredibly* distracting.

These boards look SO much classier in comparison. I don't think anyone meant any sarcasm, honestly. There are some great people here - fun, nice and really smart. I hope you guys will stick around and give this place a chance. We are happy to have new members, and hope you settle in comfortably.

Wrt replies: what I like about the 'normal' reply is that you can preview it. I always spot typos, etc., in the preview, and it makes for a more accurate post. But I used the quick reply a few minutes ago, and that was handy too. It's nice to have both.

Last edited by Windswept : 2004-07-01 at 15:55.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-07-01, 00:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones3D
The gist of this, is that software should always conform to the user's needs, not the other way around. Mac users have come to expect that.
Welcome aboard, Bones.

As LoCash said, it has always been in the overwhelming majority of our members' opinion that avatars are bad for the forums. AI had a long running history as being one of the "best looking forums" by a number of folk. The color scheme was muted and easy on the eyes and there wasn't a lot of bright colors jumping out in random places. AppleNova has a similar clean, muted design. Avatars are inconsistent and unpredictable and will break that "clean" theme terribly. If you doubt this, I can point you to several forums with hideously tacky avatars and signature images. On top of that are bandwidth issues regarding 3rd-party-hosted avatars (404s, timeouts, slow servers, etc.).

Would the option to toggle display help? Perhaps, but in the long run would end up a burden on the mods and admins who would have to browse with avatars on in order to watch and moderate them. Since the staff here hates the delayed load time and fugly, inconsistent look of avatars, that's not likely to happen.

As for the direct "link to post" links, that's actualy been on my to-do list for a long time! I should finally have time to implement that (and some other things) when I'm back in Raleigh next week.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Bones3D

2004-07-01, 01:22

Thanks for the welcome, Brad.

The reason the avatar issue is being raised, is due to the fact that they actually make threads easier to read to some users. Rather than having a blur of similar looking text for pages on end, the avatars make it much easier to identify who wrote what post... especially for users who have grown used to it for the last few years.

While I'm not saying they should be turned on by default globally, I am suggesting the option should at least be made available to those who want it. Others can simply elect not to enable them in their user preferences. There would be no risk of "404s, timeouts, slow servers, etc." for anyone who doesn't choose to use avatars.

As for how to keeping an eye on annoyances, just don't actively look for them.

Instead, simply let the users come to you if they notice a problem. I can't begin to tell you how many hours of trouble I've saved myself by letting the users self-moderate. Eventually the userbase finds common ground and starts working together as a community.

I understand that the majority here is currently against avatars... but consider how they became the majority. Let me give you a couple quotes from a thread made earlier today on the TS board:

Quote:
I joined but i don't know i feel kinda lost there I dislike the fact there are no avatars that is for sure.
Quote:
as have i! the avatar thing really annoyed me, i started a thread and was told that there would not be any avatars cause it slows down the board. i dont know about you, but i've surfed this forum with a 56K connection without any problems.
Quote:
They seem hard set against it. I am thinking maybe we do not belong there.
Quote:
Yea i am sorry but i am not going anywhere i can not have an avatar. I'm sorry that is just to weird.
Anyway, I'm not suggesting the current sentiments toward avatars are necessarily wrong, but I am saying the decisions not to have them should definitely be reconsidered. Without it, you're ignoring a large segment of your potential user base. :/

8==8 Bones 8==8
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-07-01, 01:27

Poll?
autodata
hustlin

2004-07-01, 01:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
I am aware. I've looked in the source to get individual post links before, but it's usually quicker just to count the number of posts and say that it's the Xth post from the top/bottom or whatever. The idea of a direct link button is the convenience. Opening the source is no more convenient than telling someone exactly which post to look for.
I've always just taken the post ID from the link url in the status bar when hovering over report post or reply.

However, direct link would be very welcome.

Last edited by autodata : 2004-07-01 at 01:33.