Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Minecraft Beta 1.5 Sneak Preview!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-10, 15:40

Minecraft 1.5 video

Weather, achievements, statistics, NEW COWS!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-10, 17:48

New cows? Where did you see new cows?

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-10, 18:01

The cows look way different from the cows in my Minecraft. The cows in my Minecraft are all brown, and the ones in the video are white with black spots, a la Gateway. (Or...real cows.) Am I missing something?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-10, 18:04

Using my texture pack? It has plain brown cows.

The default texture for the cow looks like this:

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-10, 18:05

Oh, right. I guess I must not have seen any cows at all before I installed your texture pack, which is weird.

Way to ruin my joke with your FACTS.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-10, 18:11

I was going to ask question about weather today! Just thinking how miserable and scary it would be to be out at night in the rain....

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-10, 18:25

Minecraft used to have active snowfall many months ago, and it was quite pretty, but notch broke it with the Halloween update last year.

So, bugfix turnaround time on this one is... five months?!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-10, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Minecraft used to have active snowfall many months ago, and it was quite pretty, but notch broke it with the Halloween update last year.

So, bugfix turnaround time on this one is... five months?!
Minecraft only had snowfall before biomes were introduced — you were either on a Snowy Map or a Not Snowy Map. So I guess it's less like a bug fix and more like removing a feature in a major redesign, and then bringing it back when it can be relevant again?

The Halloween update was like iMovie '08, is what I'm saying.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-04-10, 19:08

Hopefully this means I can make ice for the hosket rink.

Now if only we could stain/paint wood so I didn't have to make the boards out of wool.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-10, 19:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Now if only we could stain/paint wood so I didn't have to make the boards out of wool.
If they add the ability to paint wood right after I finish my building made out of tons of hard-won wool, I will be so upset.

But I imagine you'd still need dyes for paint, so at least that time wouldn't have been wasted. Must...find...squids...

Oh, and Notch announced an official release date for the final game: 11/11/11. Or, if you're European, 11/11/11.

Now all they need to do is make Minecraft for iPad.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-10, 19:54

Good thing I got Little Ms T her beta key already! After her school work gets caught up she'll be joint us. She rather enjoyed terrorizing the old AN game.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-11, 05:41

According to @jeb_ spruce and birch saplings are also coming in 1.5.

¡Damned!

2011-04-11, 07:28

That's some good news.

I wonder if spruce trees will need to be planted in a winter biome. Seems likely.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-11, 07:33

Jeb also mentioned boosters with powered cart rails for 1.5 (presumably since they already have a texture slot). Here's hoping they actually perform in SMP!

Quote:
@FanofMinecraft @notch Yes, track boosters are planned
Quote:
Next tex pack update: (3, 10) is powerrail unpowered and (3, 12) is powered. Again, coords are from 0 (how hard is that to understand? :P)
Quote:
Sorry (3, 11) is powered, not (3, 12). Yeah power rails will either push or break carts, depending on if they are on or not

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-11, 07:35

Also, our speculative fears of lightning may be true:
Quote:
@jeb_ Will thunder be included in 1.5? Will it be conducted to iron blocks and set wood on fire?
Quote:
@Maileddd It does set wood on fire, but since it's raining it will be put out again

¡Damned!

2011-04-11, 07:59

I had a feeling.

Given how buggy some of these updates are I wouldn't be surprised if every MC world in existence is engulfed in flames on day one.

Curious to find out if rain/snow/lightning starts at cloud-level. Could be neat to be above the clouds while it rains and lightnings below.

So it goes.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-11, 09:28

Well, guess it's time to ditch to wood roofs on our Butcher Shop and Bakery! Might even have to modify the Tool Shed now too.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-04-11, 09:35

Moof.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-11, 10:09

That wool roof on the library was a great idea, then.

¡Damned!

2011-04-11, 11:03

Oh shit.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-11, 11:51

I've only used wool in one place, as pavers for the junction on the treetop canopy bridge going from Olde Towne out to the beach.

Consideration for future "upgrades" seems important.

I thought that I read somewhere that torches might be changed to Lanterns at some point. Not sure where that note was now, but it sounds like in that case Notch will grandfather all existing torches into being lanterns instead of killing them off.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-04-11, 12:09

I am worried that rain will put torches or lanterns out.

It's kinda obvious it should.

which means this feature will show up in beta 2.6

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-11, 12:53

We'd all need glowstone lawns!

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-04-11, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
That's some good news.

I wonder if spruce trees will need to be planted in a winter biome. Seems likely.
If that's the case I have space adjacent to the rink and the levelled strip mine to the north for a good size tree farm.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-11, 13:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
If that's the case I have space adjacent to the rink and the levelled strip mine to the north for a good size tree farm.
Don't need much space with a high density farm... Basically torches are placed in a L shape like a knights move on a chess board. This ensures that all ground spots are next to torches even when the trees start to grow. These farms are deadly, as the trees tend to grow through you while harvesting, but they produce an inordinate amount of wood.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-11, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Also, our speculative fears of lightning may be true:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
That wool roof on the library was a great idea, then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Oh shit.

I was going to build my house out of wool.

I wonder if lightning always strikes the highest point in an area?

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-11, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Don't need much space with a high density farm... Basically torches are placed in a L shape like a knights move on a chess board. This ensures that all ground spots are next to torches even when the trees start to grow. These farms are deadly, as the trees tend to grow through you while harvesting, but they produce an inordinate amount of wood.
Set your graphics to fancy and the trees wont hurt you. Fancy graphics also makes harvesting large trees easier since you can see the branches through the leaves.

(Fancy graphics also means that mobs wont spawn on trees... but only if *everyone* is on fancy.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I wonder if lightning always strikes the highest point in an area?
If lighting is going to damage structures hopefully we also get the ability to build lighting rods, i.e. iron block on top of a stone pillar. (Iron pillar? That's a lot of iron...)

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Dave
Ninja Editor

2011-04-11, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I was going to build my house out of wool.
Wouldn't it collapse in on itself?

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-11, 14:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Wouldn't it collapse in on itself?
minecraft has it's own laws of physics.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-11, 14:39

Specifically, almost all blocks have the same characteristics when it comes to construction. Wool and Iron have the same tensile strength. The only thing relating to structural integrity that varies from block to block is explosion resistance. For instance, a TNT block detonated next to a stone wall would destroy one layer (one meter) of the wall, but the same TNT block detonated in the same place would take out two layers of wood or three layers of dirt or wool.

Minecraft physics are crazy in many ways. Most blocks aren't subject to gravity. If you stuck a block onto the side of a pillar of blocks, it would just hang there. Even if you removed the pillar the block would still stay there, floating in air. The only blocks which are subject to gravity are gravel and sand: if there is nothing beneath them, they will fall. And of course, players, mobs and items are also subject to gravity.

Water is totally wonky as well. There are two kinds of water blocks: source and flow. Source blocks can be collected with a bucket, flow blocks cannot. Flow blocks emanate from source blocks as long as there is no obstruction for up to seven blocks. Flow blocks favor southwest, but they're not *that* picky, but because of the way the algorithm works, strange things can happen in blocks which are southwest of other flow blocks.

It's... weird. To say the least.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.