User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Major Problem with my G5 2.5

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Major Problem with my G5 2.5
surjones

2005-04-07, 23:58

Hey everyone, I was working on my G5 all morning, and About 4 pm I turned back on everything was fine, and then about 1 hour later I turned back on and It loaded up slow, and when it past the checking drives and logging into window phase it went to the desktop, but nothing showed up, and the pin wheel thing just keeps spinning. about 10 mins later the everything from the Menu bar appears and my hardrives drives then show up. NOW here is the strange thing. I can use most programs from the dock, but I cant open up finder and seems that the computer is running slow, not just on the start up, but when loading and doing stuff in an application. I need my finder. of course, but HAS ANYONE had this problem????

I ran the Apple hardware test and said everything is fine, and it said if that says there are no problems re-install the system, so I did a erase install. Cause I have of the install disks and all my important stuff goes on other HD's. After reg. and everything STILL THE SAME PROBLEM...!!!...

thanks
<><
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-08, 00:05

By any chance do you have a lot of fonts, perhaps with some PostScript fonts in there?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-04-08, 00:06

you definitely did the erase and install option, not archive and install?

also - did you use the setup assistant to transfer your home folder (or anything else)?

If so, use Disk Utility in the Installer to format the DRIVE (upper icon - not the VOLUME which is the second icon).

Then reboot to the installation CD again, and do an Erase and Install again. Do NOT use the Setup Assistant to transfer anything.

More than likely that won't work and you have a hardware problem, perhaps with a drive, that will require a trip to the Apple Store or other service provider.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-04-08, 00:07

moving to Genius Bar
surjones

2005-04-08, 00:13

ya I did the erase and install.

I have a g4 and a g5 so that is why I was able to type that.. I turned it back on, and it loaded up, HOWEVER., It stays on black for 13/1000ths (13secs), and then another 9/1000ths (9 secs) on the Grey apple screen. And then about 1 second on the load screen and everything loads up now.....

Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
<><
surjones

2005-04-08, 00:14

Also I did not use the assisatance set up transfer thing...

thanks
<><
surjones

2005-04-08, 00:25

I have moreMacFonts and MacFonts2, but that is only like 2000.

But I should address I dont have them on here as we speak cause of the erase install.

thanks
<><
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-04-08, 01:08

Could you please use the button instead of posting a new reply every time you want to add something? Thanks.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-04-08, 01:34

If it's installed - you should remove the FireWire PCI card you mentioned in your other thread and try again.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-04-08, 02:25

If you have a TechTools CD handy, I'd use it to check the hard drive...
surjones

2005-04-08, 08:45

Ya, I already did the tech tools thng and it said t hat the hardware was fine, I ran it With the PCI card in from the other post. Not Really getting a for sure answer on whether it is in fact the car that might be casue the problems, cause it is a 5v or 3.3v... NO IDEA.. maybe I will take a picture of the card and people can tell that way My I spent the 3 thou on this and the 2thou on the monotir, and now 4 thou on all of this software, and Still have more to go, I CANT have a slow computer.. I should not have a slow computer, being in which I could have paid almost half of what I owe left on my SUV..
thanks
<><
P.s. Will use edit button, sorry for the inconvenience.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-04-08, 08:46

Someone please enlighten me about the Fonts.

Why would haveing lots of fonts cause a problem like this?

I have a DP 500 that suddenly started to show the beachball (for hours) when trying to boot into one account. The other accounts boot fine. The one account with issues has loads of fonts (we're talking 8-9000 fonts).
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-04-08, 10:35

There's a bug in 10.3.6-10.3.8 that causes the fonts cache to EXPLODE erroneously, particularly with PostScript fonts. Log into the good account, and look in /Library/Caches/com.apple.ATS/

You'll see a bunch of numbered folders, they correspond to specific users. If you know the user id of the account, go directly to those folders. If not, just scan through them quickly. You'll be looking for a couple of *huge* files (>400MB or into the GB range). Delete them.

You *could* just delete the whole com.apple.ATS folder if you feel like it. Since these are just caches, it won't cause any harm.

Here's a more detailed analysis of it: http://daringfireball.net/2005/03/font_caches_gone_wild

He recommends wiping out the font caches in /System/Library/Caches as well. Can't do any harm.

Last edited by Kickaha : 2005-04-08 at 10:42.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-04-08, 10:42

Take Out The Firewire Card And Try Again
You've installed a card which may or may not be compatible and you're complaining about stability problems?
um....
surjones

2005-04-08, 11:45

Did that as well.. I am not sure why People cant tell me if that card is compatable, but I did that, and ran it a disk utility with and without the car, and both had no errors.

I am at teh apple store writting this waiting in line to have These people look at it. Was on the phone with apple for an hour and nothing....

So lets try that

Also I have a probelem with my display, when Scrolling in Safari with my 23" HD display I see a RIPPLE.. on the lower 1/3 half about 1" thick and across the whole scree of the safari.

anyone ran into that either.?????.
Thanks
<><
mkalus

Send a message via AIM to mkalus  
2005-04-08, 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjones
Also I have a probelem with my display, when Scrolling in Safari with my 23" HD display I see a RIPPLE.. on the lower 1/3 half about 1" thick and across the whole scree of the safari.

anyone ran into that either.?????.

Safari at times is acting weird for me as well, not scrolling correctly mainly. Why I have no idea, Firefox works just fine, I think it's the rendering engine in Safari that has some bugs.
surjones

2005-04-10, 01:52

Okay So I ran into this problem today, I installed the MoreMacFonts and MacFonts2 on my system again. This is what I do. I create a new folder in FontBook and then drag the fonts to the folder I created. My TVDvr stopped working correclty, and everything was freezing.... I took the software back to CompUsa, and they would not take it back, cause they took the fonts and intalled it on their machine... BUT still how can onl 1750 font screw my comp up, make the cold boot loading 5mins long, and slow everything down to the point I can use m system???

Doesnt make sense to me... but I need the fonts, and need my system fast.
Any help would be honored.

<><
thanks
johnd

2005-04-11, 07:23

I had similar symptoms on a powerbook. I finally isolated it to a bad hard drive. How did I do this?

First, applications starting hanging at any time. Then booting became longer and longer. So I ran disk utulity and Tech Tools. Neither found anything wrong. Next, I ran fsck as described in Brad's "Repairing your Hard Drive" FAQ (see the first thread in this forum). This displayed an unrepairable error. I then reformatted, reinstalled and ran all the Apple updates. Two plus hours later the machine still had the same problem. I now suspected a bad hard drive.

To verify I decided to boot the machine off another hard drive. With none handy, I place my G5 into target disk mode, connected it to the powerbook via firewire and booted the powerbook off the G5. The powerbook worked flawlessly.

I took the machine to an Apple shop and told them I needed the drive replaced and explained what I had done. A week later the machine was returned with a new drive and has worked since. It was repaired under warranty. They also found 1 baht in the machine that I suspect my five year old put into the DVD drive slot.