Open Letters to People or Entities Who Are Unlikely to Respond

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Open Letters to People or Entities Who Are Unlikely to Respond
Page 16 of 17 First Previous 12 13 14 15 [16] 17  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-13, 20:57

Dear Idiots in the Surrounding Neighborhoods,

If you choose to walk or jog at night - particularly on badly lit streets with no sidewalks, which make up most of the streets around us here - do me a favor and try to refrain from wearing the darkest clothing in your wardrobe. Humor me and, at the very least, consider carrying a flashlight. Or glow-stick. Something.

I really don't need to be sent up for vehicular manslaughter (and even if I escape any legal trouble, I still don't need the guilt and nightmares associated with plowing into another human being with my car) because some of you are just too stupid to dress properly for nighttime activities in the same places where people are driving.

And for you extra-special shitheads on bikes and skateboards...I know dark hoodies and the like are part of the look for the "teens on wheels" crowd, but if you insist on doing this at 10:00pm on narrow streets with no sidewalks or streetlights...you're simply an asking-for-it jackass with a death-wish.

Make one concession to lameness and put a piece of reflective tape somewhere on your body. Just as a favor to all us uncool 40-somethings whose eyes and reflexes probably aren't what they were 20 or so years ago. Help us out, and we won't accidentally run over you on a school night.

Deal?

Getting really tired of these unnecessary (and easily avoidable) heart-stopping near misses lately. You simply cannot go through life this stupid, careless and unaware. You're not Batman, and so the whole "stealthily blending into the shadows of the night" isn't as cool in real life as they make it seem in movies and comic books.

Nearly killed one of you thoughtless little bastards tonight, and it's getting old. It's been nearly an hour and my heartbeat/breathing still hasn't eased down to normal.

Your friend,
Paul
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-10-13, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
So solid green means left-yield, what’s the difference between that and flashing yellow arrow? Left yield sorta? Every time I hit one of these I’m not sure if I’m supposed to slow down or speed up.
Speed up. Yellow ALWAYS means speed up. Else you'll get stuck behind fucking Red. Ooooh how I hates that guy Red.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
I've seen plenty of flashing-yellow-green lights. It means that you're normally in a dedicated green-arrow turn lane, but traffic is now allowed to flow from the opposite direction and you're supposed to yield to them. Yes, it's effectively the same as a solid green light on a turn lane, which means yield to oncoming traffic, but the arrow means not having to add a fourth (and possibly fifth) light on the semaphore.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-10-13, 22:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post

"solid green" arrow to me means "get your ass moving this way right now" If I were to follow that and get T-boned you can be sure I'd be filing a lawsuit against the city for fucked-up signage and damage*.

*and mental anguish for turning my world upside-down, for years of therapy, paying for my driving license, having someone who knew all the answers take the semi-yearly tests, and rent-free living on the Riverwalk for my lifetime because, you know, the sound of water is soothing and would lessen my trauma. Hooray America!
How appropriate...

Dear Drivers of Westchester County, NY:

Common sense, learn it.

When you see an oncoming vehicle approaching a red light traveling downhill on wet roads and the signal turns green (no advance arrow), do not attempt to gun your car across the three lane intersection in an non-signaled left turn in order to try and jump the traffic of 5 cars at 9PM on a Thursday.

I really don't need to hassle of trying to wade through the paperwork of the company rental car being totaled from my hospital bed.

Sincerely,
A better driver than you that will soon be bringing down a pickup truck to put you bastards in the ground the next time you try it.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2011-10-14, 00:45

Dear Shithead(s)

I know I live in the "rich side" of town, but I really am not. That car you broke into last night took me 3 years to save for.

That iPod 30GB I bought in 2003 cost $400 and I saved every dollar from years of stipends for my "volunteer experience" which is a way of legally working for less then minimum wadge. I loved that lil' guy but since it charges via firewire, not USB, you will only enjoy it for the one remaining charge. When you get tired of it, shoot me an e-mail and return it. It is laser engraved on the back of the ipod for your convenience.

The FM transmitter didn't cost a lot, maybe $25, but it doesn't work with any new Apple devices so it is prettymuch useless for you. (Side note: Why did apple do that??? Sooo annoying)

The cloth you took I use to wipe leather conditioner all over the seats in my car. It may look like a good cleaning cloth, but it will cover your stuff with grease. Have fun with that.

The wallet you stole in the center console was empty. Haha jokes on you. Losers. * L on forehead*

The jumpstart battery in the trunk was about $70. It helped me out of a jam a couple times. I miss it. The charger remains here at home waiting for its other half. As before, when the charge dies, feel free to bring it back so I can charge it back up.

Finally, and this one just confuses me, please bring back my mileage/fuel logbook. I mean come on! Really? My MPG... you gotta have that? Right. But thanks for leaving the highly illegal electronic gizmo it was resting on. That could have raked in a pretty penny on the black market.

Sincerely,
-Wants to beat the shit out of you with a smile.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Zeldaluvr2007

2011-10-14, 06:16

Agreed, Ebby. I didn't use that transmitter much since I got my new iPod, but I liked it. I hope they get what they deserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby View Post
Dear Shithead(s)

I know I live in the "rich side" of town, but I really am not. That car you broke into last night took me 3 years to save for.

That iPod 30GB I bought in 2003 cost $400 and I saved every dollar from years of stipends for my "volunteer experience" which is a way of legally working for less then minimum wadge. I loved that lil' guy but since it charges via firewire, not USB, you will only enjoy it for the one remaining charge. When you get tired of it, shoot me an e-mail and return it. It is laser engraved on the back of the ipod for your convenience.

The FM transmitter didn't cost a lot, maybe $25, but it doesn't work with any new Apple devices so it is prettymuch useless for you. (Side note: Why did apple do that??? Sooo annoying)

The cloth you took I use to wipe leather conditioner all over the seats in my car. It may look like a good cleaning cloth, but it will cover your stuff with grease. Have fun with that.

The wallet you stole in the center console was empty. Haha jokes on you. Losers. * L on forehead*

The jumpstart battery in the trunk was about $70. It helped me out of a jam a couple times. I miss it. The charger remains here at home waiting for its other half. As before, when the charge dies, feel free to bring it back so I can charge it back up.

Finally, and this one just confuses me, please bring back my mileage/fuel logbook. I mean come on! Really? My MPG... you gotta have that? Right. But thanks for leaving the highly illegal electronic gizmo it was resting on. That could have raked in a pretty penny on the black market.

Sincerely,
-Wants to beat the shit out of you with a smile.
Foj
Veteran Member

2011-10-17, 09:50

Dear Winnipeg,

Those last 3 Jets games? Don't be too surprised to see more of that this season. Remember that you've inherited the Thrashers, there will be moments when they have good games, but just don't be surprised either if they don't make the playoffs this year. I'll be the one who is surprised if they actually do.

Anyway, just enjoy the fact that you have NHL hockey again this year.

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-10-17, 21:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Dear Apple,

I was more than willing to pay you $300 if you would have just given me the white iPhone 4 like I asked.

I know they exist, there are pictures.

Now, I will have my iPhone 3G soldier on until the iPhone 5 comes out. It's going to be a long wait...

-K
Dear Apple,

I still waited, even after you gave me a white iPhone 4.

With the white iPhone 4S, I couldn't be happier with my decision.

-KK
Ryan
Veteran Member

2011-11-02, 19:47

Dear Anonymous Asshole:

You threw egg at my car on Halloween and I had to clean it off. Fuck you.

I hope you get lots of cavities.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-11-30, 15:56

An honorary open letter to Kim Kardashian:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jessic...usaolp00000003
Mac+
9" monochrome

2011-11-30, 16:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
Dear Apple,

I still waited, even after you gave me a white iPhone 4.

With the white iPhone 4S, I couldn't be happier with my decision.

-KK
Same here.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2012-05-01, 13:07

Dear proprietor of my local DVD store,

Why the fuck are you selling Region 1 DVD's in Denmark, without telling your customers anything about it anywhere on your website? Did you think we wouldn't notice it, or was it you who just didn't notice what your supplier sold you?

regards,
Mugge

PS. Also fuck the guy who invented region codes. You guys are doing a great job of not making me want to buy a Blu Ray player. Ever.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2012-05-01, 13:47

There you go.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2012-11-01, 20:48

Dear people-unduly-influenced-by-mainstream-media-Western-appearance-standards:

We have got to have a talk about this thing called "personal agency". I realize those might be big words, so let me break it down for you:

A woman can do whatever she wants with her own body.

Apparently there's a disgusting, body-shaming tweet-set going around on twitter where women are being told if they participate in No Shave November, they don't get to have sex in December.

I'm here to tell anybody who actually, seriously thinks that women who don't shave [insert part of their body here] don't "deserve" to have sex to fuck off.

Seriously. Fuck you. I'm aware that there's a new modern expectation that women are expected to do their best pre-pubescent imitation and be completely hairless below their neck. And it's even better if women do everything else "right", too; wear makeup (but not too much, because you need to look like the girl next door), have huge breasts (ideally augmented, but not so much that they look clearly fake), don't be fat because fat is unfuckable (but don't look like an anorexic twig, either). It's controlling, and it's ridiculous, and it's completely unfair. If women don't do all these things, they're dirty, disgusting beings who shouldn't be touched. But men's bodies? Men shouldn't have to shave anything. And if a woman asks a man to trim his beard, or wear slightly nicer clothes, then she's controlling or trying to make him become "metrosexual", because hairy bodies wearing crumpled dirty clothes are, of course, God-given perfection.

To these men, I say: Who elected you God? When did you receive a notice informing you that you are now the official arbiter of what's hot in all woman, and that women immediately have to start altering their bodies to meet your standards? Because until you have utter conclusive proof that you have a right to reshape my body into whatever you want, then you don't deserve to get laid. Ever.

Capella

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
¡Damned!

2012-11-01, 21:33

I love Anna's muff. And she likes, nay, demands a "manly" area of my own. We may be old-school, but goddamn if that hair doesn't make me want to get on in there. It's adorable, and if I may say so, ladylike.

She gets laid because of it (also - phenomenal, natural tits), so obviously their data is flawed.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2012-11-01, 21:39

Also, I have no idea what "D" is, as in not getting any.

DDipping of the balls? DDouble penetration? I'm not sure that I'd be entirely unhappy when November came around if I was a chick, if that's the case.

So it goes.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2012-11-01, 21:39

Not getting dick, apparently.
¡Damned!

2012-11-01, 21:47

Wow. OK. Are men nowadays really that much of a jackass? God, I'm *so* glad I'm not still in school. I would beat every one of these dicks with dried-cum-hairdos into the dirt.

So it goes.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-11-01, 21:48

Like that's going to happen.
¡Damned!

2012-11-01, 22:07

Me going back to school, or men not being jackasses?

You have a good shot on betting against both.

That jackasses don't use their own cum to spike their hair?

It's either that or their mother's tears.

So it goes.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2012-11-12, 17:48

Dear Honda;

I snagged me a Civic Hybrid back in 2004 and have been mostly pleased with that car. There have been a couple things that bug me and I made myself known, but meh, whatever. However the battery pack in my hybrid "died" yesterday. Lights on the dash and everything. You know what? I feel a little cheated.

But not because a 9 year old battery pack died somewhat expectedly.... but because my miles per gallon shot up an additional 10MPG since the electric part stopped working. "Wha wha whaaat!" I hit an all time record in that car yesterday!

So let me get this straight. I snag me a hybrid for great gas mileage, but the electrical system has been dragging down my MPG this whole time? If I knew that back in 2004 I would have unplugged that battery a looong time ago.

I'm not sure I WANT it fixed haha! We'll see...

-Ebby

EDIT: Oh crap smog checks! Here in California you can't get smogged with warning lights on. Would be funny if CA takes away my über 10MPG advantage to pass smog. Yes, when it comes to cars, we have out heads up our asses. :P

Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2012-12-10, 08:23

Soooo I was actually writing this one to legislature or a newspaper just in case they wanted to pick it up or something, but I thought I would put a copy here too in case anyone wants to take a look-see. I know it is looong. There will be a lot of TL;DR's going on. I do wonder how many other people out there have the same thoughts though. I am definitely not the only one, but maybe it just takes a few people to kick the hornets nest to get things buzzing. Anyways, my fingers burn from all this typing tonight. Enjoy Oh, comments welcome and all that too BTW. I am still proofreading.

Weasel Warranties
Tips and tricks to avoid actual work, cut out that competition, and milk a captive market for all they got.

Dear Customers and Manufacturers alike;

My name is [Ebby], a resident of California. I consider myself an early adopter in advanced technology. Well, at least when funds allow. I notice a growing trend over with digital devices that has me on edge in regards of consumer protections. I believe a necessary change in California law regarding warranty coverage is appropriate to protect us.

I’m concerned about modern technological device longevity and the undisclosed cost of being locked into a manufacturer’s planned-obsolescence/maintenance repair cycle. It also concerns me that, should an integrated battery malfunction under a hardware warranty period, replacement service may not be covered due to battery-specific exclusions, leaving an expensive, working, warranted device inoperable after just 1 year with no option but for the customer to execute a costly repair.

A battery, much like brake pads on a car, is identified as a consumable component by the technology industry; one that needs replacement time and again. Unfortunately, while integrated batteries are attributed to space-saving designs and visual appeal, the jump in complexity and lack of user access hampers the device’s overall lifespan unless subscribing to an expensive corporate maintenance regime on a regular basis. I believe integrated batteries should, unlike replaceable batteries, be fully covered under hardware warranties as they are not user-serviceable, yet essential for proper operation of the device. Due to substantially higher costs of replacement and intentional exclusion of 3rd party options, manufacturers should guarantee integrated batteries to higher standards in performance and longevity than their user-serviceable counterparts.

It is common practice for manufacturers to write separate warranties for batteries and hardware. Hardware warranties generally cover 1-4 years and represent a guaranteed minimum lifespan of the product. However, battery-exclusive warranties often cover only the bare-bones legal minimum. With replaceable batteries, this was acceptable as a failing battery could be dealt with quickly and efficiently by the user without oversight. I don’t pay labor costs to myself or make a profit; pop one out and another in. I even found certain brands more reliable than factory default and, due to advancements in battery technology over the years, newer replacements often have larger capacities than the factory specifications. However, with integrated batteries, the device must be professionally repaired by the manufacturer to factory specifications, at substantially higher costs, often including downtimes from hours to weeks or more, and excludes all 3rd party options or upgrades.

This battery policy silently locks users into a financial liability, and, assuming a battery needs to be replaced every other year (which is common in my experience) can lead to repair costs greater than the original purchase price after just a few years.

Companies now restructure repair departments into profitable auxiliary business models. Manufacturer set battery service charges not only include costs for materials, but labor and healthy margins for profit. Following that logic, current integrated battery service subscription models are prohibitively expensive for long term use of most technological devices, in some cases as high as $200 +tax per replacement, and after only 3 or 4 years, a single battery service procedure could exceed the depreciated value of the very device being serviced. User-serviceable batteries will always be more affordable, especially for long-term use, as customers only pay the cost of materials. Furthermore, mandatory battery services are set at fixed rates, not susceptible to competition, and do not experience fair market value price fluctuations as materials depreciate over time.

I grew up in a household that tries to minimize waste; where, if something breaks, the first thing we say is “How can we repair it?” instead of “Time to replace it.” In order to be resourceful and efficient, we need access to repair parts, reasonable prices, and easy maintenance procedures. Then we can we minimize waste by utilizing technology to its fullest potential.

My examples and calculations below are based on personal experience. I personally use a cell phone I bought in 2005. (I am researching an upgrade and my findings sparked this letter.) While I do purchase state-of-the-art technology, I also use that technology well beyond the common upgrade curve. For example, I have used the same phone for almost 7 years, laptops for 6 and 3 years, and MP3 players for 10 and 5 years. Throughout the years, I have changed the battery pack in my phone 4 times, a MP3 player twice, and a laptop 3 times. Manufacturer support is officially discontinued for many devices I own. As a result, I frequently turn to 3rd party products to fill the void to keep these devices operational.

But what happens if I can’t replace the battery in a perfectly functioning device simply because manufacturer support stopped? Can I afford to spend $80-$200 a pop in repairs for my devices just to function for another 2-3 years? Do I just give up conserving resources and drink the throw-it-away-and-buy-another kool-aid?

I find it frustrating, and worrisome, that if I were to upgrade my Phone, MP3 player, and laptop today with the latest and greatest descendents of those same product lines, none of the new devices would come with user-serviceable batteries, only integrated batteries with a 1 year maximum guarantee. More importantly none of the modern devices are designed to function as long as the products they replace. Whoa!

In the chart below, I broke down the cost of user-serviceable batteries vs. battery replacement service for three devices I mentioned above. These figures represent actual costs and real-world use. Integrated battery replacement service costs were gathered from the manufacturers websites and estimated totals are based on my battery replacement history.

/* This part was a table that lost its formatting. Sorry 'bout that.

Device Purchase Price User-serviceable repair cost Upgrade
MSRP Professional service cost for current model device
Phone $90 4 batteries, 3@$4.50, 1@$11 = $15.50 $599 Data not available*
MP3 Player $440 2 batteries at $12, and $2.86 = $14.86 $399 $80 per replacement (fixed price) (EST: $160)
Laptop $2175 3 batteries at $127, $85, and $51 = $263 $2564 $200 per replacement (fixed price) (EST: $600)
*Data such as this should be available to consumers to make an informed purchase decision.

*/

Note that for some items, such as Apple’s refurbished iPod Touch ($179) currently sold online, 2 battery repairs totaling $180 would roughly double the price of the device. Double the price just for 2 batteries? With my average battery consumption rate of every other year, that is the same as buying a new device every 4 years.

I recently sent a letter to HTC regarding a new phone they announced with an integrated battery asking them how much it would cost to replace a battery in their device. I received the following response: “HTC does not manufacture or sell any aftermarket components, accessories, or batteries for our devices” and “HTC does not support or warranty any third party hardware, and its implementation is at your discretion.” That is pretty canned response “No” followed by links to several 3rd party online battery stores that won’t even sell integrated batteries. Verizon Wireless states “This warranty covers the wireless device only and not its accessories or battery, including those contained within the original package.” I found no additional battery-specific warranty information on Verizon Wireless’s website.

Cell phone companies like Verizon Wireless lock customers into 2 year contracts to defer the cost of subsidizing phones but only give 1 year battery warranties. If a problem arises in that first year, common practice is to generally exchange complete handsets with new devices. This is a highly wasteful practice on the service provider’s behalf; Note that no actual repair is performed for the device with an integrated battery! But during that second year under contract, should the battery fail, it would be the user’s responsibility to replace the integrated battery (likely voiding any other warranty) or purchase another device.

Interestingly, there is a “black hole” of support between these two companies. Neither HTC nor Verizon can actually fix the dead battery efficiently, either in or out of warranty coverage. Instead, units are quickly exchanged with stock in order to sweep the casualty under the carpet, but only in the first year to meet legal requirements, otherwise you have to pay for a new device. This is a great place for a “how many corporations does it take to change a [battery]” joke, but sadly it has literally become too difficult to change the battery!

Cheap, replaceable cell phone batteries can be found online easily and replaced with just a click providing years of additional use. But with an integrated battery, it is common practice to simply mothball the dysfunctional phone entirely and purchase a new one. This is a highly wasteful practice on the user’s behalf; perfectly good technology shelved of because a consumed part is difficult or expensive to replace.

A few years ago, a popular computer company introduced an updated line of laptops boasting of a 5 year integrated battery life under normal use. However, the battery-specific warranty coverage period for those very batteries limit liability to just one year. It is misleading to consumers, who expect long lasting batteries, to pay for replacements lasting half their advertised capability, much less all but the first 1/5th of advertised lifespan.

My suggested changes in minimum warranty coverage will help ensure consumers receive the full enjoyable lifespan from their product, close a loophole reclassifying and excluding essential internal components from standard warranty coverage, and protect customers from extravagantly high repair costs while still under warranty.

I propose the following change in warranty protection, based on these observations:
A) since fully functioning batteries are essential to the proper operation and advertised capabilities of the electronic device, and
B) since modern battery technology is understood to degrade over time, requiring replacement, and
C) unlike removable batteries, integrated batteries can not be serviced cheaply and efficiently by the user,
it is therefore logical that hardware warranties must cover integrated batteries (batteries intended unserviceable by the end user) as internal hardware components, despite being consumable, under full hardware warranty protections if battery performance degrades to less then 65% original capacity.

As batteries are consumed over time so they will naturally degrade in performance. I recommended batteries reporting less then 65% capacity, indicating 1/3 capacity degradation, or a ratio no higher then one dead cell out of every 3, to trigger replacement service covered under the device’s hardware warranty period.

An accurate measurement of the battery using milliamp-hours (mAh), voltage, and other reporting data is possible with monitoring technology built into most new digital devices and can report factory-design capacity, remaining capacity, battery condition, current draw, and much more.

No doubt manufacturers will frown at this recommendation; I admit it will probably cost them a little more to stand behind their products and advertisements. Using integrated batteries is, of course, the manufacturers choice. There are visual and design appeals that can give products an edge over competition, but there are also significant setbacks in design complexity, higher maintenance costs, and repair difficulty. However, pinning customers solely financially responsible for this design choice by strong-arming their captive market with extravagant repair costs in parts, labor, and some extra profit sprinkled on top to round things out is, well, downright dirty.

If we users no longer have access to simply change a battery, and routine maintenance is locked away from all but manufacture’s exclusivity, what then makes us financially responsible for a device’s internal hardware? Is routine maintenance becoming a long-term subscription model for hardware access? I can’t justify gambling with hundreds of dollars in potential service costs if an integrated hardware component fails unexpectedly despite my hardware warranty coverage. How does fair market value play into these maintenance services we must purchase? For all I know, we may be terribly overcharged but have no clue or recourse other then to bend over and accept it.

In summary, changes are necessary to protect us consumers from skyrocketing secret auxiliary costs, gross overestimations of battery lifespan, early obsolescence tactics, and to hold these very expensive integrated batteries up to higher standards than cheap, replaceable alternatives.

Thank you for taking the time reading my letter. I hope Californians like myself no longer have to worry about weasel warranty coverage for integrated battery hardware.

Sincerely;
-[Ebby]

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2012-12-10, 12:15

That's a great letter, Ebby! Even though I'm not nearly as concerned about integrated batteries as you obviously are, I think you make some very good arguments that deserve a wider audience.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-06-24, 13:49

Dear summer weather in New England,

I am truly amazed at how little humidity you have at this point in the summer. Back in Philly, the humidity was overwhelming. Up here, I can handle this.

Thank you for the warm, but not humid, welcome,

-K

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-07-04, 08:52

Ebby, I used to do a little correspondence work, though you could never tell from my rambling, typo-riddled, and lazily structured posts on this forum.

That letter is too long. You're lucky if it even gets skimmed.

Politicians and civil servants are just too busy for this - open letters, not the environment - they get thousands of these a week and dedicate absurd resources to accepting, tracking, and responding to them. That means anything that doesn't stand out essentially gets processed for a formulaic courtesy response.

A small media outlet could pick it up if it tied to a local concern, like a hazardous and household electronic waste recycling yard, for example - I don't know if you have these where you live or what they're called. Even those media outlets are too busy chasing stories people might actually read, so you have to make it local and timely when dealing with the media. When dealing with government, you have to make it short and powerful and be ready to follow it up with something constructive. There are lots people telling governments, every day, about everything they could do better, there are few offering genuine possibilities for change. Politics, remember, is the art of the possible.

I do know that governments often create special legislative commissions to hear concerns in these kinds of areas, and will always accept written submissions. Your letter seems better targeted there. When governments create these, they assign people to actually delve into the content being submitted, rather than simply the response protocols. Often, if you have the means and willingness, you can attend in person, and if you put together a good consortia of interested people and have good research and standing behind you, you can even score an invitation to speak.

Almost every legislative chamber has a clerk who's apolitical and whose job it is to guide the public/individuals who want to participate.

Last edited by Matsu : 2014-07-04 at 09:08.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2014-07-04, 15:29

Yeah, it never got anywhere. Reading it again years later, I could have shortened it a bit and would change some of the language. It gets a little winded at points.

Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2015-12-28, 20:53

Wow, looks like I killed a good thread.

Dear Mazda;

Wow, one heck of a car. Bit underwhelming in the acceleration department, but I understand you had to wrestle the rev limiter so low to keep the automatic transmission from blowing apart. Manual FTW! Handling, balance, and brakes are wonderful.

Anyways, we had this car for 6 months now, checked out by a dealer mechanic right after sale, and as great as it it, I'd like to stop throwing money at it in repairs every month. $250 vacuum motors, $200 valves, $12 "Special Ordered" fuse, a $666 (not kidding) quote for "Special Ordered" shock parts, and now a "Special Ordered" $23.46 bolt. (With Tax)

Yup, a hardened bolt. No, nothing special. *Yawn*

First, why is EVERYTHING "Special Order"? A fuse's whole purpose in life is to be expendable. You don't just have a couple on standby in that giant warehouse I can see behind the parts desk or your attached service facility? It sounds like you use special ordering as an excuse to get people to pay first and sign clauses that prohibit returns. Not cool dudes.

Second, I know parts are considered sales but do you really need 400% - 500% markups on common items? $12 for a fuse is a bit much folks.

Anyways I found the parts on ebay for $516 less then your parts department quoted so I'll try that one out for now. No offense of course.

Gotta say, my Honda may not corner as well (but much better 0-60 times) but I can walk out of the parts department thinking "Ok with a little markup, that was expected" instead of "Jesus H Christ! A $23 bolt!?"

Thanks for listening. (Kinda)
-Ebby

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2015-12-28, 21:17

Dear Mr. Abrams,

Thank you.

- Paul
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2015-12-29, 04:18

Dear Self from March 2010 in this thread,

What the fuck were you thinking? LOL

Rowdy
Dr. Bobsky

2015-12-29, 12:16

Dear all past versions of self,

It's a little crowded in here, no?

Bruce
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2015-12-29, 13:30

Dear self,

Follow your head and not your heart. You'll be happier, and be hurt much less.

Signed,
Illogical Thinker