User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Watch
bikingolson

2013-09-11, 10:50

I've heard rumours of an Apple watch that can control your Iphone or Ipod but I'm having trouble finding any other information other than that. Does anyone know of this or have a decent link to the watch that I could look at? I desperately need a new watch but I am sort of hanging on until I get some news about this. I mean obviously If it's going to take 2 years I'll just get myself an Omega watch or something. I found some beautiful Omegas at some useful site and I'm willing to spend the money on a piece of class if the Apple Watch is a bunk (which it probably will be). However if it's coming sometime in 2014 then I'll hang on and see what it has to offer. Let me know if you know anything. Thanks

Last edited by FFL : 2013-09-12 at 15:55. Reason: linking Omega watch sites is not useful and seems spammy.
Dutch Pear

2013-09-11, 11:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikingolson View Post
I've heard rumours of an Apple watch that can control your Iphone or Ipod but I'm having trouble finding any other information other than that. Does anyone know of this or have a decent link to the watch that I could look at? I desperately need a new watch but am sort of hanging on until I get some news about this. I mean obviously If it's going to take 2 years I'll just get myself an Omega or something but if it's coming sometime in 2014 then I'll hang on. Let me know if you know anything. Thanks
Ok, just texted Jony Ive about that, he replied to expect it before christmas. You're welcome!
bikingolson

2013-09-11, 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Pear View Post
Ok, just texted Jony Ive about that, he replied to expect it before christmas. You're welcome!
wow..that was quick - and definitely the right answer!

Thanks
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-09-11, 11:38

Dutch's relationship with Jony is legend.

Thanks Dutch!!

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2013-09-11, 14:19

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=37344

I'm more convinced than ever that the iWatch is coming, but it doesn't necessarily have to be in the immediate future. Trying to get one out just because Samsung just did will only result in an unimpressive product.
¡Damned!

2013-09-11, 14:42

Honestly, I think the Samsung piece bought Apple even more time to introduce something. Let that fugly kludge sink in to the collective consciousness for a while, I say. It only gives Apple the kudos it (may) deserve when introducing something great.

In my little conspiracy theory world I imagine Apple put out purposefully godawful prototypes that Samsung "acquired" and copied blatantly, only to be made to look the fool.

So it goes.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2013-09-11, 15:31

This may be slightly OT, but when Samsung introduces a product like the Gear that, by most accounts, sucks, they're fine and it's just a blip on the radar until the 9" screen Galaxy note 7 comes out and takes over teh worldz!!!1!

[ot]I actually saw someone today on The Verge argue that he couldn't own an iPhone because it wouldn't play his anime and make it look as good as he wanted it to. He expected to be taken seriously. No one who watches anime can ever really expect to be taken seriously when they attempt to use it to win an argument. I really can't with people anymore.[/ot]

However, if Apple releases a smart watch that doesn't allow for its wearer to blast himself to the moon and breathe underwater without aid of a SCUBA device, it's a failure and Apple is dead?

I'm personally not interested in the smartwatch tech, but I don't wear a watch because...why? However, I think the tech is cool, I'm excited to see where it can go and what it can do.

Come waste your time with me
Dutch Pear

2013-09-11, 15:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=37344

I'm more convinced than ever that the iWatch is coming, but it doesn't necessarily have to be in the immediate future

Well hey, Jony says before christmas, who are you to doubt HIM???

zippy
Veteran Member

2013-09-11, 18:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Pear View Post
Brilliant.
bikingolson

2013-09-12, 10:30

I found this site but unfortunately it is still more rumour.
http://www.techradar.com/news/portab...umours-1131043
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2013-12-16, 11:29

So I haven't exactly been following tech/gadget news.

But a couple months ago I started seeing TV ads for the Samsung Galaxy Gear, a smartwatch companion to their phones. I thought of this thread and laughed.

It's fortunate for Apple that Samsung jumped in early because it saved Apple from releasing an embarrassing and useless product.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2013-12-16, 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
It's fortunate for Apple that Samsung jumped in early because it saved Apple from releasing an embarrassing and useless product.
Because Apple would have released something that dumb if Samsung hadn’t? Not sure I follow your logic here.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2013-12-16, 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Because Apple would have released something that dumb if Samsung hadn’t? Not sure I follow your logic here.
They may have. I don't know. It's always tough being the first one to release a new gadget - it may be a hit, or it may just make you look stupid. There was rampant speculation about an Apple watch several months ago and what I'm saying is that Apple was smart to wait and let Samsung release theirs first.

No way to know if Apple will ever release a watch now. I'm sure they cooked up a few prototypes but probably (and rightly) decided not to release them.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2013-12-16, 15:36

Unless the watch is a total replacement for a smartphone I don't see the point. I say that because I stopped using a wrist watch when I got a cell phone years ago.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2013-12-16, 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
No way to know if Apple will ever release a watch now.
That’s strictly true, but it’s a bit like saying in 2006 that there was no way to know if Apple would release a phone. Other phones existed and the broad mass of people including technology observers and commentators couldn’t enunciate what was wrong with them, much less how to fix them. I include myself in that shortsighted lot, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Unless the watch is a total replacement for a smartphone I don't see the point.
If Apple releases a smartwatch it will do things you haven’t envisaged, in ways you haven’t envisaged. That is after all the thing that makes American technology firms and Apple in particular different from consumer electronics manufacturers in Asia.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2013-12-16, 17:26

Lets put it this way, between a desktop computer, an iPad and an iPhone I just don't see the need for a smartwatch. Either the smartwatch replaces my iPhone or there is no need for it. It isn't going to do anything an iPhone cannot, because lets face it, it would run iOS. There isn't anything that happens on my phone that I cannot wait to look at later if I'm busy, so I just don't see the need, unless it replaces the phone.

It would be like having an iPod nano on your wrist at worst, and a mini iPhone at best.
gsxrboy

2013-12-16, 22:09

It's odd that everyone seems to want a bigger screened phone/phamlet/tablet to look at movies, messages, maps, emails, pictures, but suddenly with wearable computing the industry is sure now that reducing the screen size to watch format size is the new best thing.

I'm pretty darn tech but I cannot imagine any need for a smart watch for *my* lifestyle. I have an iPhone, iPad, Mac computers and an awesome 'smart' watch on my wrist that gives me instant exposure to the tasks its very best at. Telling the time. All with all day battery life and no need for charging, cables, wifi. Just a little movement of my wrist keeps my automatic watch ticking along in a beautiful, format screen size unrestricted mechanical glory.

I have zero need to have wrist notification of things that my iPhone already tells me, in a much more hand & finger friendly, eye friendly, battery friendly, powerful format. Other's might need to see every retweet, instagram and facebook like notification, but meh, not ever for me.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-12-17, 15:40

I'm kinda with gsxrboy on this. I don't need to be THAT "connected" and aware, 24/7. My phone is with me at all times, and does everything I want/expect (including telling me the time). Not quite sure where/how a "smart watch" (even from Apple) is going to fit into my life at this point.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2013-12-17 at 23:34.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2013-12-20, 11:56

Seems like just another increment in the ever-growing gadget continuum. Phones have gotten so big that they had to add a new segment beneath them in size - sort of like compact cars.

I still strongly believe that smart watches are a dead end technology and that there is no way to make them do the things you would really want them to do without massive leaps in technology (Star Wars-style holographic projection?). I don't care if Apple or Samsung is making them. Apple is not magic and they cannot defy the laws of physics - there is only so much space to work with. An Apple smart watch would be only marginally better than a Galaxy Gear because the form factor is too limiting for it to be anything more than a toy.