Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Minecraft Server

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 46 of 49 First Previous 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2011-04-05, 20:17

I'm kind of excited to have a "place in the city" myself, truth be had.

Moving the community exchange into Bridgeport is a good idea, honestly. If it wasn't for the awesome structure already in place I'd be all for it. Although, getting from Spawn to Bridgeport proper is a huge pain in the ass what with cacti at every turn. Maybe a diagonal-ish tunnel is in order?

[edit]: haha. OK, I guess it's not. I just found a path that I swear I've never seen before. Maybe some slab is in order then?

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2011-04-05 at 20:47.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-05, 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
The square box in my maps above is 24x24. If Brad gives me the go ahead for the second space I want then I'm sure It'd be fine for you to take the first space next to the theatre.
That would be perfect. Hurrah for Bridgeport's eastern expansion

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-04-05, 20:37

Once the rink is done I may hold off on my plans in the NE in order to put together a small project for Bridgeport.

SpecMode
Wait what

2011-04-05, 21:08

Just tested a bug and a feature at the same time!

The bug (already noted by Notch): hitting yourself with an arrow with your tamed wolves nearby will cause them to instantly start attacking you. It turns out that two wolves are quite enough to kill me off, even with a full set of diamond armor and a diamond sword.

In the process, I also proved that sleeping in a bed does (sometimes) set your spawn point to that bed (which saved me a few minutes of walking time getting back home afterward).

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-04-05, 21:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
You should build a leather bar and have chests full of leather armour at the entrance so people can obey the dress code.

With the Post office, dare I make a major suggestion? (Please don't be angry...) But maybe: we could do a combined project where we also move the Exchange to Bridgeport in the same building. Maybe even theme it as a Shopping Mall. I don't think the current exchange gets that much traffic where it is, and it has lots of empty chests right now. I don't know if we need 6 double chests of "ores and rarities" for example...
My thought being, that it would drive traffic through Bridgeport town. Thoughts?
Grr. GRRR. Ruf. GRRRRRR.

if you want to move the community exchange I insist that the building it currently is in moves with it. And that the hole is refilled appropriately. I spent a few solid nights building that thing. I put it where it was because it seemed reasonably central/likely to be accessible by a simple warp to spawn, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteggio View Post
So billybobsky: I take it you find my tree tower, so close to the skyranch and your fields, a hideous monstrosity?

Are you planning any constructions in your fields?
Well, if I am being honest, the your tree tower isn't exactly pretty. There are other examples done nicely elsewhere on the map so my standards and points of comparison are pretty high .

As for the fields. I will not likely be building structures there. The mob statues will be grown such that 1 pixel = 1 block and possibly done in full color eventually. In point of fact, I would like there to NOT be any structures near or in the fields. As the purpose of the fields is to highlight the passive and hostile traps.

Quote:
I'm kind of excited to have a "place in the city" myself, truth be had.

Moving the community exchange into Bridgeport is a good idea, honestly. If it wasn't for the awesome structure already in place I'd be all for it. Although, getting from Spawn to Bridgeport proper is a huge pain in the ass what with cacti at every turn. Maybe a diagonal-ish tunnel is in order?

[edit]: haha. OK, I guess it's not. I just found a path that I swear I've never seen before. Maybe some slab is in order then?

Grr. GRRRRRRR.

Did you use the newly made tunnel?

We can also make this easier by simply flattening the hill between spawn and bridgeport. actually wait...

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-05, 21:58

It's not letting me log in.

OK, I got on, but couldn't do anything. Sheeps were impervious to my hacking. There was like a two-minute delay when I tried to say anything. It was just fine earlier, but there were fewer people on.

Do I need faster webs? Or is it just the server? I don't want to make it laggy for, you know, other people.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Last edited by Robo : 2011-04-06 at 00:20.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-04-05, 22:15

Re: The gay bar

Typical gay bar style - mainstream upstairs, bear and leather downstairs with dress code. It shall be done.

Last edited by RowdyScot : 2011-04-05 at 22:40. Reason: Clarifying it *will be* done. Not already *is* done.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-05, 22:20

Gay bars have a downstairs?!? How was I not informed?

()

If the gay bar is going to be adjacent to my house, I'm going to expect a secret passage. For, y'know, convenience's sake.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2011-04-05, 23:23

In the back, of course.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-06, 00:17

!!!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-06, 00:40

Robo, wait until you see what Turtletown has... something pretty "woolly" that will blow your fashion-minded mind.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-06, 00:47

Quote:
Is the building really going to reach the full height of the skybox? That's how tall the dirt pillar you set was. To be entirely honest, I chose the location somewhat far from town because I didn't want to build near any other super-tall structures like the skyscrapers in Bridgeport.

That said, the location you plotted is in a place that actually won't bother me if you do decide to go tall. Plus, with this being you doing the work, I feel pretty safe knowing that the new structure won't just be some giant cobble edifice rising into the sky.

TLDR: Do it.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-06, 00:54

So is it okay with people if I build here:

Only, a bit bigger than that square? I'd pretty much fill up that empty rectangular desert area thing with the building and the surrounding landscaping. It'd be 16 blocks tall at its peak.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-06, 00:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
That's was a small project?
At the time, it was the biggest project on the map! Now it's dwindled by even its nearest neighbors.

Quote:
I'm going to need a lot of space for my project. Like, at least 24x24, and probably 32x32. But I'm guessing there isn't that kind of area anywhere near town.
The birds-eye-view map I posted a few pages ago is a true 1-pixel-to-1-block representation of the world. So, use that as a gauge to find a local plot of land. There are several projects going up now, and Bridgeport is beginning to sprawl out, but it shouldn't be too hard to find a suitable area for you to work in. For size reference, the interior of the Money Bin's cactus perimeter is 32x32. Available areas include the waterfront property immediately north of the Money Bin, the sandy area east of Bridgeport that 709 originally claimed but then moved, and pretty much any area immediately north or east of Bridgeport.

I was going to post a map with labels tonight, but with all the recent activity, instead I'm going to download tomorrow morning's backup file and base the image on that to stay as recent as possible.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-06, 00:56

Quote:
So is it okay with everyone if I build here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
the sandy area east of Bridgeport that 709 originally claimed but then moved
Dang! Beaten by one minute.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-06, 01:07

Quote:
Do I need faster webs? Or is it just the server? I don't want to make it laggy for, you know, other people.
I think the server was at its peak load with all of us on earlier. Your connection seems to have just been the tipping point. Minecraft server just plain doesn't scale well. Basically, everything goes smoothly up to a point, and then it just hits a brick wall and lags everyone constantly until someone gets off or I restart the server (and even then it only postpones the issue very briefly). That happens (unfortunately) pretty regularly late at night when everyone wants to play. Your best bet (and really anyone's for that matter) is to try to play as much at off-peak hours as possible.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-06, 01:08

Quote:
Dang! Beaten by one minute.
I spent all day hoping that 709's new claim would work out, so that I could put something in his old spot. It's perfect!

I'm going to need a lot of blue dye, though. That's going to be a fucker.

It'll be next to, what, a theater and a gay bar? Wow, I feel like my plans aren't quite hip enough for that neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
That happens (unfortunately) pretty regularly late at night when everyone wants to play. Your best bet (and really anyone's for that matter) is to try to play as much at off-peak hours as possible.
I'm on the west coast, and I stay up pretty late most nights, so I'll just try and play after everyone else, I guess.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-06, 01:14

I'm probably the closest to that area, and its fine by me. i do need to make the theatre one block wider than originally planned and it would be nice to have a bit of an alleyway between.

The flytower is going to be about 30 blocks high so be warned that I'm building higher than you. the main building will be more like 20.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-06, 01:22

Quote:
I'm probably the closest to that area, and its fine by me. i do need to make the theatre one block wider than originally planned and it would be nice to have a bit of an alleyway between.
I'm planning on keeping the Rectangular Desert Pit lower than the surrounding area, and the structure isn't going to the edge of the desert, so if you want to go to the edge of the ledge, or if you need to add another row, that's cool. I'm allowing for space around my building in the desert portion, IOW. The 40x32 or whatever includes room for walking past it.

Last edited by Robo : 2011-04-06 at 01:56. Reason: Added all-important smiley

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-06, 01:59

Um. So With the help of Bryson, the right honorable scourge of the sea Captain Drew, and Kraetos, the tear down of the hill formerly known as the hill beneath Bonn's original house is underway, with Bonn's blessing, of course.

Lots has been done, lots remains. I will probably finish it tomorrow, as I have become quite efficient at removing hills from Minecraft. Its probably the only thing I do well, aside from making impractical projects that I ignore in the process of helping the over all economy...

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-06, 02:21

Potentially Important Question

If you put dirt on top of sand, does it still grow grass?

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-04-06, 02:22

Quote:
Potentially Important Question

If you put dirt on top of sand, does it still grow grass?
if there is grass nearby, yes.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-06, 03:21

Hmm.

Anyway, I leveled and squared off that 48x32 block of desert. So, yay!

Last edited by Robo : 2011-04-06 at 03:35.

¡Damned!

2011-04-06, 07:47

Quote:
Is the building really going to reach the full height of the skybox? That's how tall the dirt pillar you set was. To be entirely honest, I chose the location somewhat far from town because I didn't want to build near any other super-tall structures like the skyscrapers in Bridgeport.

That said, the location you plotted is in a place that actually won't bother me if you do decide to go tall. Plus, with this being you doing the work, I feel pretty safe knowing that the new structure won't just be some giant cobble edifice rising into the sky.

TLDR: Do it.
So I have to change my plans for Skyranch 2?

It'll be tall, but it'll also be tasteful, I promise. No cobble or stone in this one.

Gravel all the way.

So it goes.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-04-06, 14:00

One of these days, I will "View New Posts" and this one will not be there...

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-04-06, 14:05

Well, you *could* join us, kieran. We need more hosket on the server.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-06, 14:41

I'll have played hosket before Kieran. Can someone post the ingredients/pattern to make a hosket stick?

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-06, 15:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I'll have played hosket before Kieran. Can someone post the ingredients/pattern to make a hosket stick?

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-06, 15:36

Quote:
And the puck? Or are we just going to run around the rink, bashing each other with hoes?

Both sound fun.

I just realized that deathmatches could be a lot more fun now that you can move your spawn...

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-06, 15:40

Good point! I'll install beds in the dressing rooms next time I'm on.