User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Radius server in Mac OS 10.4 Tiger Server?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Radius server in Mac OS 10.4 Tiger Server?
dougd

2005-03-20, 11:13

Hey all, With the pending release of Tiger server 10.4 I was just wondering if anyone "in the know" can speculate if a radius server will be built-in for managing wireless access points and wireless users? I cannot imagine why Apple would leave this out of their server product since last time I checked I had quite a few wireless users under my wing at my work place and more at the door trying to get in :> Oh and *psst* Micro$oft includes one in Windows 2003 SBS for free.

Thanks for any info and I do realize in a few weeks I will know if Apple has done the right thing and included this in tiger.

Doug
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-03-20, 11:22

IIRC isn't this in the airport management software?
dougd

2005-03-20, 11:30

Paul, I don't think the airport software has the logic for this since it's the backend that does all the authentication of the client. I know all good access points can be enabled for a radius server or WPA-enterprise (or whatever buzz word is used). The radius server basially turns the airport or any other wireless access point into a pass-through device that encrypts all your login traffic from your device (laptop, handheld,etc) to the server running the radius software. The radius server has all the keys to the kingdom plus rotates and changes keys all the time adding to a more secure wireless domain. Here is a link for anyone interested in a very nice paper on wireless security and radius servers.
http://www.corriente.net/papers/wpaoverview.html

Doug