User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

US Mac Mini in Europe?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
US Mac Mini in Europe?
two45am

2005-01-19, 15:24

I live in Sweden, Europe and I'm a recent switcher (iBook, just LOVE it!).

I'm going to SF & LA in February and since the new Mac Mini is a lot cheaper overseas I was thinking of buying one. My question is:

Will an American Mac Mini work in Europe? I heard that the US iMac will blow a fuse if connected to the European electrical system. This to prevent Europeans from benefiting from the weak dollar by importing from the US.

Also, I was wondering if it's likely that Apple wont be able to meet the demand. I will be overseas mid February and I would hate it if the Mac mini was sold out. Does anyone know if they could install more memory, superdrive etc at the Apple Retail Store in San Francisco?

Thanks!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-01-19, 15:37

Well, it could actually be because the US and Europe use two different power supply systems, and not Evil Apple trying to stick it to ya pricewise.

That being said, in the past, most Apple products have been dual-power systems, able to happily use either, with the appropriate plug. Checked, and nope, iMac is shipped based on country of purchase. You're right on that part. The rationale is specious though.

The Mac mini however shows no such problem, stating only a single 110-240V AC and 50-60Hz freq range. Looks like a universal PSU.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-19, 16:22

FWIW, the mini probably just seems a lot cheaper for US residents if you're forgetting that Apple's European prices include the VAT.

As chucker pointed out here...
Quote:
When will people learn that the US prices do not include Value Added Tax, localization costs as well as European Union customs before they bitch cluelessly of how European prices are too high?

Go to dell.com, pick a random machine, go to dell.co.uk and do the same. Compare prices. Try with a different manufacturer. Notice that it's not an Apple or Steve Jobs phenomenon.
two45am

2005-01-19, 16:59

Yeah, Im not bitching about the price. Apple Sweden actually lowered their prices last month so the difference is not that big anymore.

But theres still a difference.

500 USD mac mini + 8% VAT = 540 USD
4700 SEK mac mini incl VAT = 710 USD

Since im already going to the united states why not save 150 USD? I could spend that money on more memory. And its not like the mac mini will take up any space.

Does anyone know if you could install more memory and superdrive in one of the apple retail stores?
two45am

2005-01-19, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Well, it could actually be because the US and Europe use two different power supply systems, and not Evil Apple trying to stick it to ya pricewise.

That being said, in the past, most Apple products have been dual-power systems, able to happily use either, with the appropriate plug. Checked, and nope, iMac is shipped based on country of purchase. You're right on that part. The rationale is specious though.

The Mac mini however shows no such problem, stating only a single 110-240V AC and 50-60Hz freq range. Looks like a universal PSU.
Nice! Thanks. Then I'll just have to find a replacement contact for the american one. I guess i could use any standard contact for this, maybe even use the one i got for the ibook.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-19, 17:16

If I am not mistaken, buying a product such as the Mac mini in the USA and then returning with it to your country of residence requires that you declare it at customs at you home port to ensure that you are charged the correct domestic duty...

Not that anyone does, just saying...

bouncy bouncy
Hassan i Sabbah

2005-01-20, 04:29

It'll be fine.

Take it out of the original box and don't keep the receipts in your wallet and you should be fine at customs too.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-01-20, 07:12

As pointed out in my post quoted by Brad, it's not just VAT, but also other taxes as well as customs to encourage EU citizens to buy European products instead. Since I'm not familiar with Sweden's currency, VAT percentage and other policies, I cannot really comment on that, but at least in Germany, the UK, France and Switzerland, the price conversions are actually reasonable. You also have to take into account that Apple needs to retain a certain "buffer" for varying currency exchange rates. (Anyone care to explain this better? )

All that said, feel free to import the Mac mini if you really think it's going to save you a lot of money, which may just be the case. If you want to avoid customs, make sure as someone said to get rid of the receipts (or to hide them well). All Macs with an external power adapter feature flexible voltage and frequency and should work with (almost?) all international power standards. My iBook certainly worked without any sort of trouble in the US and Canada with a simple $5 RadioShack plug converter (i.e. the iBook's German power plug was simply turned into a North American plug to fit; the voltage adjustment was handled automatically by the power adapter).

As to devices that do NOT adjust their voltage, which is commonly the case with electrical toothbrushes and whatnot, go absolutely sure to have a voltage adapter (which can get quite expensive) before you risk having the thing literally explode right in front of you.

Oh and, welcome to Macintosh.
MichielM

2005-03-19, 16:02

Did you buy it and does it work? I am planning to do the same thing in a couple of weeks from now.
Unbeliever

Send a message via AIM to Unbeliever  
2005-03-19, 19:14

i too would like to know
Johnkid

2005-03-20, 06:58

Note that even inside the Eurozone prices are slightly different. They have a higher VAT in France, and the final costumer pays for that. If I'm not wrong France has the highest prices inside the Euro currency zone.