Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Google gobbles Dodgeball...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Google gobbles Dodgeball...
HOM
The Elder™

2005-05-11, 17:22

For those of you that live in East Bumblefuck and don't know what Dodgeball is, it's a social networking service like Friendster, but based on SMS and actually meeting people.

You check into a location by sending them a SMS with the location and you get a list back of all of your friends and FoFs that are in a 10 block radius of you. Also, any friends get a SMS saying that you are at the bar and FoFs get a SMS if you are within 10 blocks.

That's the basic jist of it. They have other cool features like venue look ups and stuff.

It has really changed the way my circle of friends plan going out and has introduced me to some really cool people.

Well, I just got an email and you can see from their front page that they've been aquired by Google.

At first I couldn't think of a reason why Google would want Dodgeball, but it's really quite simple. Google is making a huge push into local searching and services. Dodgeball has a huge database of reviews and loyal users. Add Google's local databases with Dodgeball's and you've got a real nice overview of major cities.

So, are there any other dodgeball users out there? What are your thoughts on the buyout?

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-05-11, 17:27

I'm more interested in if it can be used to avoid people? If it gets down to the level of combining cellphone GPS and Google Maps to map out a path of least resistance, on a Palm-like device, it could come in real handy as I avoid people I hate.

Ex-band/housemates, ex-girlfriends, people that want to borrow money, people I owe money to, anyone from Boston University, ...etc.

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
Random Hero

2005-05-11, 19:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnq
I'm more interested in if it can be used to avoid people?
This is particularly useful for me..
HOM
The Elder™

2005-05-11, 19:47

You can put people on your block list, so you can see where they are, but they don't get your broadcasts.

Seems like it would be what you're looking for.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-05-11, 19:49

It makes me want to move...