User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Driving across the country in the winter, will I die in a blizzard?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Driving across the country in the winter, will I die in a blizzard?
Wrao
Yarp

2008-11-13, 21:50

I have never driven across the country this time of year, and I am planning on doing it, for the thanksgiving holiday. But I am being warned that midwestern blizzards can be frightening and impassable, or at the very least, dangerous and unsafe. I am sure that everyone here has a story or two involving a midwestern blizzard. So, let's have 'em.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2008-11-13, 23:33

Bring water and a sleeping bag just in case.
Trumpetman
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

Send a message via AIM to Trumpetman  
2008-11-13, 23:58

When I was young(er) and stupid, I was close to graduating from college, but had never lived outside of California. I wasn't sure I wanted to stay in California and I wanted to explore. I had a 1979 Subaru Brat, a hundred dollars and a Dad who loaned me his gas card. I had to travel wherever I wanted to go between Christmas and the beginning of Winter Session where I would be taking a class. It was a span of maybe 10 days.

I drove the entire Western United States during that time. I stayed in the back of the Brat which had a small shell. I stayed in Utah, Idaho, Oregon and Washington all in temps that were ridiculously cold.

The only time I truly thought I screwed up was in Utah. Believe it or not on this entire trip, I forgot my jacket. The Brat had a heater and once I was in the shell I was fine because I had several layers of blankets. I tried to stay away from areas where I might have been bugged by the police so I parked in a car wash. (No one washing cars in the freezing snow)

It looked like this only uglier, much uglier.

I get out in the morning and rush up to the front. The engine was an opposed four, around 1300cc's. Being a California boy, I was not familiar with the oil thickening up due to cold. Let's just say if that starter hadn't been almost as big as the engine, I probably would have been stuck several miles from no where without a jacket.

They sell sleeping bag to go down to -20 that aren't too hard to find. I'd grab one and bring it along to ease my conscience.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-11-14, 00:05

Yeah, bring essentials like extra water and food with plenty to bundle up with to stay warm. Might want to make sure your family knows about where you are most of the time too via text message or something like that in case the weather gets bad.

I've never been in a midwest snow storm but my wife lived near WLP and she said there were times you tied yourself to the house so you could find your way back after feeding the animals. Just a bit too much snow for me and I love snow!

Enjoy your trip and take lots of pictures. Memories are hard to share if you're the only one who can see them.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
artesc

2008-11-14, 00:08

I would definitely take some sort of emergency kit; a sleeping bag, water, propane heater, flashlight, gps. I remember last year there was some story in the news about a man who froze to death after getting lost somewhere up north. He and his family had taken a wrong turn out in the forest driving cross country, and he did not want to let anything happen to his pregnant wife so he took off looking for help. The family stayed in the car with the heater running and luckily they were found not too long after he left. He unfortunately froze to death wandering around in circles about 3 miles from the car and 2 miles from the road which led (in either direction) to two small towns close by (within 10 miles).

So, don't leave your care if the worst happens...stay warm and wait for the weather to clear.

artesc all the way!
Wrao
Yarp

2008-11-14, 00:21

Right, that's the thing, my car is always pretty well equipped to handle emergency situations, and I have a sleeping bag, a tent, a tarp, and enough clothing for very cold weather. I never go on long drives without having provisions in the car, as well as fresh oil and any other maintenance needed. I am no novice when it comes to long drives, having driven up and down the west coast over 15 times, including passing through some seriously tough weather before. I was just curious about this midwestern flatland blizzard thing, because it has been sold to me as being something that can seriously mess you up if you get caught out in it, car or not.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2008-11-14, 00:22

Bring a cell phone so you can make a last call to your loved ones from your icy snowy crypt in the ditch of I-80 outside of Newton Iowa. Pen & paper for your last will and testament.

Seriously, the weather here seldom gets bad without much prior warning, if you have common sense and know your limitations driving-wise you'll be fine. This time of year a blizzard is not likely, but icy road conditions are probably going to be the biggest danger, you know rain turning to sleet in the evening hours.

If in doubt pull off on an exit. Some of the bigger truck stops have hookers, but they look like what you can imagine a truck stop hooker would look like.
Buon Viaggio!

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2008-11-14, 00:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post

I've never been in a midwest snow storm but my wife lived near WLP and she said there were times you tied yourself to the house so you could find your way back after feeding the animals. Just a bit too much snow for me and I love snow!
Haha, I believe it. While we don't get the 5 feet snowfalls that the Rockies get, we get the ice and the freezing rain and the whiteout blizzards. I remember last year we had a huge ice/snow storm (we were out of power for about 4 days, some people were out for over a week) and the roads were pure ice. I was driving my Land Rover to help a friend haul some firewood and it honestly didn't matter which way I turned the wheel. Nasty stuff.

(picture I took from the ice storm last year)

So yeah, stay out of Kansas if you are worried about hitting some ice storms.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-11-14, 06:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
I have never driven across the country this time of year, and I am planning on doing it, for the thanksgiving holiday. But I am being warned that midwestern blizzards can be frightening and impassable, or at the very least, dangerous and unsafe. I am sure that everyone here has a story or two involving a midwestern blizzard. So, let's have 'em.
Why not just go a southern route?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-11-14, 10:18

Not sure where your destinations are and which interstates are "out of the way" but thanksgiving is a little early to be worrying about midwestern blizzards, unless you're traveling the upper midwest (Dakotas, et al) on Interstate 90. Even there it's a tad early but certainly possible anytime after November 1.

I have considered driving cross country in the winter to visit my brother who lives out west but haven't done it, mostly for this reason. You can talk about bringing all the blankets, water and other "gear" you want, but if your engine dies and it's 5 degrees outside, you're in deep shit if you have to stay there overnight (which is often the case - those interstates usually take a couple days to clear after a big storm). Even if you survive you may get frost-bite, hypothermia or other serious problems. Cars get cold fast.

If you do travel across country this time of year you can cut down your risk big-time by traveling on I-80 or a more southerly Interstate. But within about 3 weeks I-80 will be in the "danger zone" too. Another tip: stop for gas frequently. Wouldn't let your tank go below half full, maybe below 2/3 full if you see from the weather reports that snow is possible along your route. Also making sure your battery is in good shape before you go, and making sure your anti-freeze is good to go is important. Your car is the big life-saving "supply", so make sure it's in top shape.

Otherwise, the other things that are mentioned are correct: thick blankets, some energy bars, water (and a big pee bottle like commuter pilots use wouldn't hurt). A high powered flashlight with fresh batteries and making sure you keep your phone fully charged is a good idea too. Last but not least: put some real snow boots, wool socks and a good shovel in the back. (I'm assuming you'll be wise enough to wear non-cotton layers on your person - won't need to run the heater that way while driving ). Sometimes you may get in a ditch to avoid other cars and the only way out is to shovel out. Road flares... have those with you too in case there's an accident blocking the way... if no one else has them you can put warning markers in the road way back from the crash to avoid pile-ups, etc.

...into the light of a dark black night.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-11-14, 10:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC View Post
Bring a cell phone so you can make a last call to your loved ones from your icy snowy crypt in the ditch of I-80 outside of Newton Iowa. Pen & paper for your last will and testament.

Seriously, the weather here seldom gets bad without much prior warning, if you have common sense and know your limitations driving-wise you'll be fine. This time of year a blizzard is not likely, but icy road conditions are probably going to be the biggest danger, you know rain turning to sleet in the evening hours.

If in doubt pull off on an exit. Some of the bigger truck stops have hookers, but they look like what you can imagine a truck stop hooker would look like.
Buon Viaggio!
That's just a funny post, all around. You start, and end, on a high note.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2008-11-14, 10:30

Where's the poll?

Yes, please
No, thanks
Beer... mmmm

at least.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-11-14, 10:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
That's just a funny post, all around. You start, and end, on a high note.
Plus, he used a Newton Iowa reference for extra bonus points.
¡Damned!

2008-11-14, 11:11

Chances are it'll be sunny and 50°F the whole way, and your family (or whomever you're visiting) are going to notice the snowshoes, flare gun and Polar Bear rifle in the back seat and be like, WTF?

I've done the I-80 trip a few times and at different times of year, and I'd guess the place you'll have to pay attention to this time of year is crossing the Rockies (weather can change in an instant). Oh, and that big stretch of highway west of SLC. Motherfucker is a short hour of straight, but it feels like you're trapped in time.

So it goes.
Wrao
Yarp

2008-11-14, 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Why not just go a southern route?
It adds some time. But, I am not opposed to going the southern route if, upon checking the weather, it is revealed to be dicey.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-11-14, 15:27

Yah don't go too far out of your way. As noted I-80 would be OK for the next 2-3 weeks most likely (snow IS possible because this is the time of year when the Canadian cold fronts start dropping down and can mix with moist air from the gulf, but not likely until December). I-90 would be less smart even right now.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2008-11-14, 17:06

Make sure your tires are all season radials with a good amount of tread left on them. Tires will make all the difference if you hit snow.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-11-14, 17:09

Like someone else mentioned, it's November. You'll be fine. Probably 50degree weather like mentioned.

The midwest isn't Siberia.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2008-11-14, 20:18

I guess it depends on your perspective. Other than on the lower mainland of B.C and, to some extent, parts of southern Ontario, most of us here in Canada spend 4-5 months of the year with the threat of snow, up to and including big blizzards. It's not a big deal. Maybe our road services, though, are more geared to responding to the snow. The plows generally come out just as the snow starts to fall, or even begin to lurk before it starts. The main highways tend to stay pretty clear. The main highways also receive pretty regular police patrols in snow. Most people I know (other than in the lower mainland of B.C and southern Ontario), put on winter tires for Nov-Apri- not all seasons (I put my winter tires on last week). I would highly, highly recommend the winter tires if you actually plan to drive any distance in snow and ice. And, above all, keep an eye on the weather forecasts: if there is any good chance of really bad weather, just don't drive that day. If the bad weather starts to arrive unexpectedly, pull over at the nearest town and stay there until it clears up. And if you do drive on snow or ice, drive pretty slowly and carefully. I wish I could say that Canadians were good at following that last bit of advice, but we are not. Many people don't adjust their driving habits very much even when the weather is bad. Many wind up in the ditch. It's just that up here, there is more likely to be a tow truck handy that will pull you out before long.

In any event, given that your own highway services may not be as geared to snow (Moogs indicated that the big intestates tend to take a couple of days to clear, which I find surprising) and that you might not want to invest in winter tires if you are not going to drive on snow or ice regularly, I guess that I would recommend most the approach of just listening to the forecast and not driving if there is any risk of bad weather.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.

Last edited by Chinney : 2008-11-14 at 20:51.