User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Offical Rubik's Cube Contest Thread!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Offical Rubik's Cube Contest Thread!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
macgeek2006
Genius

2005-12-26, 10:41

I was at the New England Music Camp this summer, and there were alot of people obbsessed with rubik's cubes there. I was taught how to solve one, and my speed record is now 1:11 on a 3x3 cube.

How fast can you solve a rubik's cube?
faramirtook
A for effort.

2005-12-26, 12:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek2006
I was at the New England Music Camp this summer, and there were alot of people obbsessed with rubik's cubes there. I was taught how to solve one, and my speed record is now 1:11 on a 3x3 cube.

How fast can you solve a rubik's cube?

Is that one hour, 11 minutes? or one minute, 11 seconds?
ironlung

2005-12-26, 12:40

I think he means 1 minute and 11 seconds. Average time of speedcubing is 20 secs i think
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-12-26, 12:59

Once I tried to solve a Rubik's cube while repairing my permissions, and I finished before the iBook did.

However at the time I was sugar high beyond belief, and I doubt I could do it again.

You ask me for a hamburger.

Last edited by atomicbartbeans : 2005-12-26 at 13:36.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-12-26, 13:54

I used to be able to do a Rubik's in about 2 minutes, but then I graduated from high school and found other things on which to spend my time.
kbk

Send a message via MSN to kbk  
2005-12-26, 15:08

Im so ashamed...

I've never completed a rubiks cube, my mind just isn't inclined to be able to solve it, IT'S NOT FAIR!!!! I've spent hours, sometimes DAYS on those little suckers and have NEVER cracked it, I came close occasionly but never completed it.

Dont get me wrong I'm not stupid, I have been accepted into university(bachelor of Medicine) two years early (I'm still in year 10)

BUT my poor brain just doesn't handle the rubiks cube...
*cries*

MacBook Pro (1.83 Ghz 100GB Hard Drive 1GB RAM)
Lois: Peter, you're acting like a child!
Peter: Lois, if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? - a paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert!
Powerdoc
Cat's Dreamlands

2005-12-26, 15:21

I use to suceed the Rubik's cube, but I learned by heart some formulas. It was several years ago : 25 !
That was in the first time of the Rubik's cube frenzy.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-12-26, 15:24

There, there...

Most people who solve it quickly have stumbled upon this alorithm.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-12-26, 17:25

I won the school Rubik's Cube contest when I was in Jr. High school. I was pretty psyched until I found out my prize was $10 to spend however I wanted at the school store.
shell

2005-12-27, 19:52

I never could quite finish my rubik's cube as a teenager, there was one corner that was always wrong no matter what I did. It's only now that I realizes that my older sister probably switched around the stickers on one corner to spite me, siblings do that sort of thing.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-12-27, 20:12

Rubik's Cubes are insane. I would never be able to solve one... whenever I've picked one up I have no idea where I should even start, and I'd never be able to think of what moves to do in order to get anywhere. As far as my brain is concerned, they are impossible. Obviously, others are able to do them, and quickly, but I just can't understand it.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-12-27, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Rubik's Cubes are insane. I would never be able to solve one... whenever I've picked one up I have no idea where I should even start, and I'd never be able to think of what moves to do in order to get anywhere. As far as my brain is concerned, they are impossible. Obviously, others are able to do them, and quickly, but I just can't understand it.
I had an interesting experience watching my two roommates in boston approach rubik's cubes. One of them went online, read all about it, bought a book about how to solve it, created his own short-hand formula for remembering how things go, thought about it a lot. Solved it with aides many times, then slowly began to solve it without aides. Then slowly started to speed up with solving it, then stopped all together and hasn't touched one since.

The other roommate, refused any knowledge on the subject and believed that it was only valid if solved by ingenuity and analysis internally. He would spend days trying to solve it without any help but invariably never make any progress. I personally believed that he wanted to just kinda 'solve it' without much effort as if to prove how intelligent he is.

They are both very intelligent guys, but clearly the first roommate's strategy and approach yielded real results.

I personally wasn't all that interested either way. I solved a rubik's cube a couple times back when I was little. But I don't really care to do it today. Not my type of puzzle.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-12-27, 20:32

Yeah, I'm with the second guy. Being forced to look up formulas and stuff in order to solve it misses the point. Who came up with those formulas? And if you have to use them in order to solve it, what's the point? There are plenty of very challenging puzzles that don't require hours of research to solve. What I don't like about Rubik's cubes is that they aren't a measure of intelligence at all, they're just a measure of persistence and of how well you can follow directions.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-12-27, 20:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk
Im so ashamed...

I've never completed a rubiks cube, my mind just isn't inclined to be able to solve it, IT'S NOT FAIR!!!! I've spent hours, sometimes DAYS on those little suckers and have NEVER cracked it, I came close occasionly but never completed it.

Dont get me wrong I'm not stupid, I have been accepted into university(bachelor of Medicine) two years early (I'm still in year 10)

BUT my poor brain just doesn't handle the rubiks cube...
*cries*
I've never really thought that the ability to solve a rubik's cube had much to do with intelligence.
macgeek2006
Genius

2005-12-27, 20:41

I was taught how to solve it. So I guess I cheated.... haha.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-12-27, 20:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Yeah, I'm with the second guy. Being forced to look up formulas and stuff in order to solve it misses the point. Who came up with those formulas? And if you have to use them in order to solve it, what's the point? There are plenty of very challenging puzzles that don't require hours of research to solve. What I don't like about Rubik's cubes is that they aren't a measure of intelligence at all, they're just a measure of persistence and of how well you can follow directions.
Agreed. That's what doesn't appeal to me about them either. There is a fair amount of memory usage and spatial reasoning skills at work when doing a rubik's cube, but, on average, you really can't just 'solve it', you have to understand how, and to do that you need to read about it and study it...etc. Even if you can solve it without any guides or tips, it still doesn't really measure your intelligence. Of course, puzzles shouldn't be solely about measuring intelligence anyway.

I tend to prefer puzzles that are self contained as well. But, there is still value in them if you have to learn a system in order to do it, it's just different really.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-12-27, 20:42

I did one once in about 7 minutes.

I peeled the stickers off and put them back in the right order. It was quick.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-12-27, 20:44

Years ago (junior high, in the early 80's?) I had one, and solved it - strictly by accident - one night at about 1:30am. I was thrilled I nearly puked, and left it on the kitchen table so everyone would see it the next day.

I did it once more after that, some time later. Again, kinda by some weird, freaky accident (wasn't following any set formula or trick...just monkeying with it endlessly).

That was 20-something years ago, and I haven't touched one since.

I couldn't imagine trying to do one now. I'd throw it across the room within about four minutes...things like that just get on my nerves.

I'll stick to my crosswords...
Wrao
Yarp

2005-12-27, 20:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek2006
I was taught how to solve it. So I guess I cheated.... haha.
Well, no, it's not really cheating. I'd think that very very few people could consistently solve a rubik's cube without any form of instruction at all. They aren't really designed to be solved like that, since the way you solve them is pretty contradictory to what many people think(for instance, I can get 2 sides solved very quickly, but getting that is absolutely worthless because of how I get there). I think you can know perfectly well how to solve it, but still be unable to do it.... maybe?
Wrao
Yarp

2005-12-27, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Years ago (junior high, in the early 80's?) I had one, and solved it - strictly by accident - one night at about 1:30am. I was thrilled I nearly puked, and left it on the kitchen table so everyone would see it the next day.

I did it once more after that, some time later. Again, kinda by some weird, freaky accident (wasn't following any set formula or trick...just monkeying with it endlessly).

That was 20-something years ago, and I haven't touched one since.

I couldn't imagine trying to do one now. I'd throw it across the room within about four minutes...things like that just get on my nerves.

I'll stick to my crosswords...
That's basically my story exactly. I solved one when I was 12 or 13, I have no clue how, and I'm sure it was either an accident or it wasn't scrambled very well. I did it again when I was 14 or 15 and again, no clue. Then I basically haven't touched one since(outside of that month or two my roommates were going at it, I gave it a go, but got bored)

I stick to crosswords as well. Heh.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-12-27, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
I did one once in about 7 minutes.

I peeled the stickers off and put them back in the right order. It was quick.

took you 7 minutes! man you loser don't you know how to speedpeel?!
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2005-12-27, 21:00

i had this toy that was kind of like a rubiks cube when i was a kid. i cant remmeber the name of the thing, but you not only had to get the colors to match, you had to get the thing back to the shape of a cube as well. altho, i admit, it was much easier to do than a rubik's cube was, as once you got it back to a cube, there was a 90% chance that you also had the colors right. anyone remmeber this?
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-12-27, 21:34

If I remember correctly the best I ever did was 48 seconds... Have to admit that I got the solution from a book we bought. I thought that was insane until I saw the world record holder on tv do it in like 10 or 11 seconds... (This was back when Rubik's cubes were 'the thang' and everyone had them).

For a short while my Mum played at being a travelling saleswoman selling novelties to corner stores and there were hundreds of variants on the Rubik's cube. Pyramid ones, ones shaped like beer barrels and on and on.. We used to get to play with all of them from my Mum's demo stock.

Then there were the ones that were like the sliding tiles picture puzzles, but were built around a barrel shape, or some kind of cylinder. Those were insane and could be done even quicker than the Rubik's cube.....

For a while in our house it seemed that the only thing anyone did was play with Rubik's cubes in the evening after school and work... Wickedly insane memories..

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-12-27, 23:40

My brain doesn't really "think like that." I just don't get the things and I have no interest in ever attempting to get them. I'll waste time doing other stuff...like, did you know there's pictures of naked women on the internet? I've got a whole new world to explore.

<runs off to expand horizons>

Come waste your time with me
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-12-28, 01:31

I don't recall wasting my childhood doing cubes. I think I played outside more, and maybe watched TV.

I like horseshoe puzzles, and those other ones made out of metal. I think they're called "hobo puzzles" or something like that, because hobos use to make them when train jumping... I might be making that up though.

User formally known as Sh0eWax

Last edited by Maciej : 2005-12-28 at 01:41.
kbk

Send a message via MSN to kbk  
2005-12-28, 08:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
I've never really thought that the ability to solve a rubik's cube had much to do with intelligence.

Hmmm, I agree. It must be linked to a certain section of the brain. Sort of like how some people are good at maths and others are not.

Maybe it all comes down to colour recognition, and on that thought, I wonder what it would be like to solve a rubiks cube if you were colour blind? (more simple??)

AND besides, what sick, outrageously bored person invented the rubiks??? "hmm if I stick coloured stickers of a interchangable cube....I'll make MILLIONS!!! It's pure genius"

Kind of like the first person to see a chicken and say "I'm gunna eat the next thing that comes out of that chickens butt"

MacBook Pro (1.83 Ghz 100GB Hard Drive 1GB RAM)
Lois: Peter, you're acting like a child!
Peter: Lois, if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? - a paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert!
jhipp

Send a message via AIM to jhipp  
2005-12-28, 14:09

I can honestly say that I have never solved a Rubik's Cube.

I don't have very much patience, so I'll play with it for a minute or two, get annoyed, and go do something else.
Foj
Veteran Member

2005-12-28, 21:39

can you do it blind folded??
intlplby
Veteran Member

2005-12-30, 06:53

next up...... the clitoris. nature's rubik's cube.....
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2005-12-30, 07:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by intlplby
next up...... the clitoris. nature's rubik's cube.....
Urgs - I just imagined a "speedcubing" contest in this context...