AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Overwhelming Burden of Patience!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Overwhelming Burden of Patience!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-30, 15:40

Copied from my whiskey blog:

Remember when patience was a virtue? I remember watching an episode of 60-Minutes when I was younger and Andy Rooney was doing one of his little bits at the end, and I remember him saying “Patience is a virtue. Impatience is also a virtue.”

That quote has stuck with me for years, and today it’s as true as ever. Although I’m going to amend it due to something I have been witnessing over the past several years: a dramatic increase in the number of motor vehicles I see running red lights.

This past December 25, which most of you will recognize as Christmas Day on the Roman calendar, a young lady named Briana Murphy was killed by another motorist who ran a red light. The accident occurred at the intersection of Highway 55 and Floating Feather road in Eagle, Idaho, a short drive from where I live and work. Someone, who is as yet unnamed, decided that their time was so much more important than that of the remainder of Earth that they need not stop for the all-important red light demanding that we stop for cross traffic.

What an incredible — and avoidable — shame!

I know this is a whiskey blog, but I’ve decided to take this opportunity to plead with all of my two readers to take a moment and think about the consequences that a lack of patience can bring into our lives. Let’s use this accident as a study in giving up approximately one minute of our day in the exercise of patience:

1) A woman was killed;
2) The person who ran the red light will be charged with manslaughter;
3) The young woman’s family will forever remember the 25th of December as the day their daughter/sister/wife/niece/friend was unceremoniously slaughtered at the hands of a reckless driver;
4) The person who caused the accident has ruined his/her own life, the life of the young woman, and the lives of both party’s family members, as well as several other victims who were in the car.

I’m sure there are other things to consider, but those four are the big ones. Fortunately, I suppose, we live in a litigious society and the family will be enriched. So, there’s that.

All that over a pesky one minute! And don’t even get me started on the possibility that the driver had his/her nose stuck in their phone checking to see what some look-at-me’s cat had for breakfast.

So, this week’s blog post has exactly one purpose: I want to encourage all of you to slow down, be patient, and stop for that red light — and, no, you do not get to use the “light was pink” excuse. The yellow light means “Prepare to stop,” not “step on it!”. While you’re there, remember that when the light turns green there is a very real likelihood that someone in the crossing traffic does not give a hoot about you, your life, or your family, and will step hard on that accelerator in order to save that one minute. Thus, you should take a deep breath, look both ways, and proceed with caution — all the while ignoring the impatient jackass behind you blaring their horn because you didn’t gun it like a drag car at the exact moment the light changed.

People, get a grip on yourselves! Yes, I know the world has sped up and every single second counts, but if you allow yourselves to get roped into that system you are either going to hurt someone or get hurt yourself. Take a break, go home, kiss the other and the kids, and have a drink of your favorite whiskey.

Trust me, your life will be better for it, and so will the lives of those closest to you.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-12-30 at 16:15.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-12-30, 16:05

Right on the money.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-30, 22:00

"Few of us will listen to good advice until just after we need it." - Captain Kingston Drew, sp. pirate