Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Car Talk
Page 58 of 58 First Previous 54 55 56 57 [58]  Thread Tools
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-01-10, 15:37

Given that an auto dimming rear view mirror is $300-800, I’d hate to see what an auto dimming window would cost.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-10, 15:48

Or worse, when you gt a rock that dings it enough to warrant replacement.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-01-10, 15:49

Gotta start somewhere before it can trickle down. Just thought it’d be more useful than colour changing paint.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2022-01-10, 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
It would be really handy for anyone, especially eyeglass wearers. I have transitions, but they don’t work indoors or inside the car - window glass blocks UV. I keep a pair of non transitions in the car, with integrated magnetic polarized clips. They’re nice and low profile, but sometimes I’m juggling two lens cases and the clips stuffed in the headliner. Or I forget and I’m wearing the transitions which don’t clip. Etc etc. Annoying. It’d be awesome to have the car just sense low angle bright light and dim the glass appropriately.
That sounds confusing. I have glasses with transitions, and just keep the frame clip-ons in the car for when I'm driving.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-01-10, 16:54

I'm a bit peculiar about my eyes because they've been poor since childhood. I use primarily two sets of glasses. One set transitions from clear to dark grey when exposed to UV. I wear these a lot around the house and outdoors, but they are not effective in the car because the car's glass blocks the UV light that triggers the photochromic reaction to darken the lenses. I don't have clip-ons for these.

I keep another set of glasses (different style) with plain clear lenses. This set comes with magnetic clip-ons which I keep in my sun visor. I alternate which glasses I wear at different times of the day depending on what I'm doing, so sometimes I'm not wearing the set which takes clips. I'll tend to switch to the plain glasses when outside doing something photographic - doesn't mess with my perception of lighting - and I would make sure to put them on especially during the winter commute home (which hasn't happened in nearly two years now) but which tended to put the setting sun in my eyes...

It's all a bit too nitpickity I realize. I may just throw one of those Asian sunvisor/face-cover contraptions in my car and abandon any pretense of style I have left... or those giant-ass senior citizen overmolded glasses you get at the truck stops... LOL.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

Yesterday, 10:15

So after set back, after set back, I get a call that I can finally go order my truck only to find out that the GMC Denali Ultimate only comes in the short 4.5' bed. Can't use it for work. Have to go with the standard Denali unfortunately. Not overly happy, but don't have any other choice. Hoping to go build it tomorrow. Looking at 2Q delivery date most likely.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Yesterday, 20:37

That's typical, most of the high end trim trucks have shorter beds, but 4 1/2 feet on a full size? That wait isn't too bad, some vehicles have 6-12+ month waiting lists.
drewprops
Space Pirate

Yesterday, 21:09

At this point, what cars ARE available?

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Yesterday, 23:29

Used? Overpriced beaters, anything that’s good, people are holding onto. New on the lots? Nothing. Almost everything new that dealers list is pre-sold. You’ve got to go and place an order, or happen upon something that someone else passed on, in which case it will likely be marked up $10-15k over MSRP on average.
drewprops
Space Pirate

Today, 00:26

In Russia, car picks YOU!