Outlook issues in Office 2011 for Mac

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Outlook issues in Office 2011 for Mac
Mac+
9" monochrome

2011-05-19, 03:22

Hi all,

I have been working with Outlook recently and have come across three issues:
1) Contacts are stored in the Contacts list (sync'd with my AB) but I can't perform a search on anything. Always null. Useless.
2) I can create new groups but don't see a group list - not sure if this existed anyway.
3) Tasks - I can save them, but they don't appear in the Tasks section.

I have verified that these docs exist because I can see them in:
Microsoft User Data/Office 2011 Identities/Main Identity/Data Records/Tasks/OT/OB/OM/20K/

Even when I click on these individual files they open, but when I close them I have no idea to where they disappear.

I'm in an environment which relies heavily on Word and Excel and that's OK - I can deal with that. But I thought I'd give the Office Suite a shot with Outlook, having persisted with Entourage for a while there, but I think Outlook still suffers from some database issues.

Really frustrating - MS have done a pretty good job of realigning with OS X style and making use of cocoa frameworks (I believe) but this is less than ideal.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2011-05-19, 06:05

#1 - The only thought I have is whether Spotlight is turned on. I had an episode where I turned it off (it decided to go and index my whole hard drive in middle of a crunch. WTH. Anyway, turning it off causes null results whenever I search Outlook but turning it back get it to work again. (and that's just for messages. I don't really use the contact feature)

I don't use either Groups or Tasks so have no idea there.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2011-05-19, 08:04

GOLD!

1) Fixed.

Thanks Banana. I didn't realise that Outlook was using spotlight for search. I went to the Spotlight Prefs and removed the Microsoft User Data from the Privacy tab - not sure how it was placed there in the first place, but who cares now?! Excellent. Cookie for you.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2011-05-19, 08:08

Glad that worked for you - I would have been surprised if Contacts didn't also use Spotlight & nice to see that MSFT MacBU are using Apple OS features instead of implementing their own search functionality (that'd have been a ), quirks notwithstanding).

Sorry I can't help with Tasks & Groups.