User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

2021 MacBook Pros

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
2021 MacBook Pros
Page 5 of 8 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  Next Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-10-30, 13:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
It would never even occur to me to not use what the thing came with, which is all I've ever done my entire life.
Well, I currently have three AC adapters for my MBP: bedroom, living room (ad-hoc WFH setup), office desk.

The addition of USB-C charging means I could also charge it from any USB-PD thing (if my MBP weren’t way too old to support that), like at a customer’s desk. That’s pretty great. So, the slower charging is still cool because it gives you more options and higher likelihood that there’s a charger somewhere on the go. Plus, it’s nice that there’s ports for that on both sides!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-30, 13:54

Hmm. I now realize that when I'm working at a dining room table I could use a USB C cable plugged into a USB hub. A 90 degree adapter might be nice...

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-30, 15:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Well, I currently have three AC adapters for my MBP: bedroom, living room (ad-hoc WFH setup), office desk.

The addition of USB-C charging means I could also charge it from any USB-PD thing (if my MBP weren’t way too old to support that), like at a customer’s desk. That’s pretty great. So, the slower charging is still cool because it gives you more options and higher likelihood that there’s a charger somewhere on the go. Plus, it’s nice that there’s ports for that on both sides!
No, I understand the multiple chargers. I had two for my PowerBook G4: one at my home desk, one in my travel backpack (I traveled a good bit prior to 2008). But they were the same.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-10-30, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Hmm. I now realize that when I'm working at a dining room table I could use a USB C cable plugged into a USB hub. A 90 degree adapter might be nice...

Yeah. You might do some travel charger thing that's slower but also works for, like, phone, camera, whatever.

Quote:
No, I understand the multiple chargers. I had two for my PowerBook G4: one at my home desk, one in my travel backpack (I traveled a good bit prior to 2008). But they were the same.
Gotcha.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-10-30, 18:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
USB-PD currently goes up to 100W; a bigger standard is in the works but not finished.
Oh great. I was just thinking there aren't enough versions of USB on the market already.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-30, 19:04

If I got an M1 iMac (or MacBook Air) tomorrow, I'd have to come here to create a thread to ask WTH cables do I get. Then, once I got that all straight, a dongle/adapter spree was probably in my future.

It used to be a complete no-brainer until a few years ago. I still can't keep it all straight...USB 3, USB 4, Thunderbolt this, USB-C that, this charges that, but that charges this, but this adapter can be used to go back in time, that one can make crop circles, etc.

The iMac alone - the two parts vs. four - I still don't have a full grasp on that, and what does what and what I'd ever need. Does it at least come, out of the box with something that goes to it and then to my iPhone's Lightning port? Or am I immediately on the hook for a special cable just to charge/sync my iPhone (yes, I still do it old school).

EDIT: USB-C to Lightning cable in the box with 24" iMacs. Okay, that's good.

Good grief. I'll get my head around it when I'm forced to (once I own a Mac that has them on it). Not gonna give myself a headache on a Saturday night...ain't that pressing.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-10-30, 20:29

To be fair, Thunderbolt/USB-C seems pretty straightforward? In my home office I have my company 16" MBP (Intel) and just one USB-C cable running to a Dell monitor, which powers the MBP and acts as a USB hub.

All my other devices are plugged into the monitor.

But it sounds like that may not work if I had a 16" M1? We won't be getting those for another year or two anyways so not relevant to my office setup for now.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-10-30, 22:53

I don't mind progress. A new USB standard with higher charging capabilities is great.

But the PC guys have to learn to drop old tech a lot faster, for all our sakes.

Whenever a new royalty-free USB standard is introduced, maybe a royalty should be raised on the much older tech to get them off the market faster.
So say when USB5 is launched, USB 2 & 3 ports on new computers get hit with a small royalty fee.
chucker

2021-10-31, 07:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post
I don't mind progress. A new USB standard with higher charging capabilities is great.

But the PC guys have to learn to drop old tech a lot faster, for all our sakes.

Whenever a new royalty-free USB standard is introduced, maybe a royalty should be raised on the much older tech to get them off the market faster.
So say when USB5 is launched, USB 2 & 3 ports on new computers get hit with a small royalty fee.
Pretty sure this is by design. "USB 3.2 Gen 1x1" a.k.a. "USB 3.1 Gen 1" a.k.a. "USB 3.0" isn't a thing because it makes sense at a technical level, but because vendors want the cake and to eat it, too: to claim that their product (an external hard disk, say) is USB 3.2 while not having to change anything at all compared to 3.1 or 3.0.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-01, 08:46

iFixit teardown is nice. Really following the iPhone for some of the design again (looking at the batteries).
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-11-01, 18:58

Anybody know whether the SD card sticks out of the new machines or inserts inside fully?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-01, 20:32

Pics I've seen indicate it only goes in about half way. There was a short SD card on the market that could be left in with the older MBPs so I'm guessing it is about the same socket.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-03, 13:25

I think AppleInsider is on a mission to compare the two new MacBook Pro models to every other electronic/electrical device in existence. This past week or so has been notebooks, tablets, gaming consoles, etc.

Next week I think we're going to move on to blenders, radio-controlled cars and hairdryers.

We get it, AI...they're fast/powerful. Point made. You can stop now!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-11-03, 14:42

Typical click bate, nothing more.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-03, 14:46

Personally I'd like to know the comparison of the new MBP with a '67 Shelby Mustang. No comparison if valid until this has been done.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-03, 14:55

Exactly. Seriously, they’ve done about four a day for a week now. Getting a little silly.

I was hoping that maybe there was one more event for the year, but I think that’s wishful thinking at this point.

During that earnings call last week did anyone from Apple ever say their lineup was now locked in for the year? Usually at the event itself they’ll say something along those lines. I don’t recall hearing it three Mondays ago, but maybe someone said so last week on the call.

I guess we’re done for now, and things will kick back up again come January/February.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-03, 15:02

Quote:
I guess we’re done for now, and things will kick back up again come January/February.
March.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-03, 15:50

That just playful guessing on your part, or one of those Gruberesque "a little birdie told me" things? Working where you do, I figure maybe you hear/know things the rest of us may not.

You don't have to divulge anything or risk trouble. Just maybe tap twice for "birdie"?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-03, 15:56

No little birdies in this guy's ear. Just guesswork based on the past.

If I had a little birdie I'd sell it.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-11-03, 19:24

Actually, when I saw the M1 Max, my first question was how far we were from dethroning the PS5 and Xbox series.

Bring it on. AppleTV 2022!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-11-03, 21:07

I doubt the new AppleTV is going to be a serious gaming machine, but hey you never know. Of course if Apple has the supply chain locked in, they could get a lot of sales, since it’s hard to get your hands on a current gen console.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-11-03, 21:25

I'm certainly not expecting Apple to start pushing a Maxxed AppleTV in television ads head-to-head with the PS5.

But they did overpower the latest iPad Pro with the M1. Perhaps just because they could.

The AppleTV now sits on a shared tab with Home on Apple.com, with rumours of a HomeOS coming soon.

You might buy the AppleTV for the TV and HomeOS stuff, and the gaming upgrade simply sweetens the deal.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-05, 17:03

Marques Bronwlee's review of the new MacBooks Pro. 22 minutes, but worth the watch.

Final Cut Pro export times:

M1 Pro MBP: 6:40
$50,000 28-core Mac Pro with 768 GB RAM: 5:42
M1 Max MBP: 4:06
M1 Max MBP in High Power mode (unplugged): 3:49!

Yipes!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-11-05, 19:15

Those Mac Pros were a bad buy, based on an old platform, in terms of performance on day one, no surprise there.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-07, 19:16

Sounds like we finally have some emerging issues...

Memory leaks are crippling my M1 MacBook Pro–and I’m not alone

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-11-07, 23:41

Or it could just be people with bad RAM. Of course with it built into the SOC there is no way to fix it without tossing the entire logic board.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-08, 00:21

If this is widespread then it'll get coverage. As always, time will tell.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-11-08, 08:45

I've had these issues show up on both my M1 MBP and M1 iMac.

Seems to be random processes/applications take up a whole bunch of RAM and brings up a message saying your computer ran out of memory and applications need to be closed.

Was hoping it would be fixed with the latest OS update, but it is still happening.

Hopefully a fix is coming shortly.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-08, 08:54

As someone who notoriously has 15 apps and 37 tabs open, it does give me a bit of a fright.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-08, 09:10

I just installed Monterey in Mrs T's MBP so I don't think it has a chance to build RAM leaks yet. I'll have to let her use it a little bit and check on it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.