Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Spoiler Shields Don't Work for iPhone Stylesheet

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Spoiler Shields Don't Work for iPhone Stylesheet
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-16, 09:44

They never have, and I thought this was a known issue. I am NOT complaining because it's been this way for years and I'm used to it. Just putting this here in case somebody else notices and thinks that something is broken.

(I'm currently on iOS 15 with an iPhone 13, but this was the case on my iPhone 7 Plus for many years under various versions of iOS)

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-01-16, 09:48

Safari? Other browser? Are you using any extensions? Never had any issues with it in Safari mobile.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-16, 09:57

Copied/pasted from the Wordle thread, from me:

Quote:
On my iPhone - and I’m on iOS 15.2.1, the very latest - spoiler and off-topic rags have never displayed correctly. The default appearance is as though I’ve tapped that dark box and the contents are visible.

As a result, I’m a little more careful on my phone, in certain threads. No biggie, that’s on me. The tags are doing their job, my phone just doesn’t seem to see them correctly. That’s been the case for ages.

*shrug*

Overnight I was reading this thread just before I went to play the new puzzle. I was scrolling down and saw Brad’s spoiler-tagged reply to Chet and the very top/first word of his play grid. “Oh shit!” I immediately scrolled up, hit the back button, etc. i think I set a land speed record for both.
I’m just running straight Safari. The issue is only on my iPhone. Works fine on my older (Mojave) MacBook Pro. No idea, but it’s always been like this. Was the same on my iPhone 5, I remember, way back in the 2012-2015 timeframe. I run a straight, clean setup…Safari out of the box.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-16, 10:05

There must be some setting in Safari causing it then, never had the issue on my iPhone or iPads.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-16, 10:20

I’ll go look for something obvious because that’s what it would have to be with my dumb, non-techie ass.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-01-16, 10:57

Doesn’t work here either. They’re in a box, but not hidden.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-01-16, 10:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I’ll go look for something obvious because that’s what it would have to be with my dumb, non-techie ass.
Brad may have forgotten to reticulate the splines.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2022-01-16, 11:38

It’s always been like that as long as I can remember on iOS Safari. FWIW, same issue with Chrome on iOS.

EDIT: Specifically when using an iPhone.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-16, 11:56

PB PM are you using the iPhone style?

drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-16, 12:17

Okay the zoom will happen at 9pm EST.

Thanks everyone.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-16, 12:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
PB PM are you using the iPhone style?

That must be it, I don’t use the iPhone layout.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-16, 12:26

Yep, that's exactly what it is. I just put my phone to the "normal version" (AppleNova Pro 2.4 Retina) and Brad's post is hidden in the black box. When I tap it, it goes away, just like desktop Safari). When in "Applenova iPhone" mode, the dark boxes don't show up.

Ah, okay...at least now there's a reason/explanation.

I always use iPhone mode...way easier to read/get around. I just know to be a bit careful in certain threads.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-01-16, 12:36

Yeah, I switched and noticed that behaviour right away. I forgot the different layouts even existed. So much easier to type reply’s on my phone. I vaguely remember switching it at one point, because iCloud syncing or something used to cache which mode you were on, and iPhone style is no good on an iPad.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-16, 12:37

I'm telling you, if we'd brought Chad on a paid staff years ago we wouldn't be having these issues!!!7

Fake edit: I meant Brad

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-01-16, 14:17

Spoiler (click to toggle):
How about now?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-16, 14:24

Hey, you fixed it. Awesome. I'm viewing on my iPhone in the "iPhone setting" and the dark hiding box is visible. Yay! Thank you very much. And it's working as it should over in the Wordle thread. Now I can cruise that thread on my phone at any time and not worry about seeing something I don't wanna. Other threads too (movies, etc.).

Was that just a setting somewhere on your end, or something to tweak in that iPhone format?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-01-16, 14:32

Quote:
Hey, you fixed it. Awesome.
Now you cretins can't say I never do anything for you!

Quote:
I'm viewing on my iPhone in the "iPhone setting" and the dark hiding box is visible. Yay! Thank you very much. And it's working as it should over in the Wordle thread. Now I can cruise that thread on my phone at any time and not worry about seeing something I don't wanna. Other threads too (movies, etc.).
Excellent! I also use the iPhone theme on my iPhone, and I'd probably noticed the absence of the spoiler functionality before, but I also probably shrugged it off with the assumption that nobody else really used it. I'm glad to see comments from this thread and the Wordle thread proved that assumption wrong!

Quote:
Was that just a setting somewhere on your end, or something to tweak in that iPhone format?
I had to dig through our code to remember how I implemented the spoiler tag in the first place. It's a very crude JavaScript + CSS hack, and neither the JavaScript nor the CSS were loading on the iPhone theme. From the looks of things, I just never implemented it for the iPhone theme. But now I have! Once I remembered how it worked, it was just a matter of some copying code into a few key places.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-16, 14:58

THANK YOU!!!!

Having fiddled with CSS/JavaScript more than I like, I never felt comfortable asking about it - figured it was a chore (it would have been, for me).

This changes EVERYTHING

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2022-01-16, 15:00

Awesome. This changes everything!

But seriously, I don't have to be so careful now. I'll see the black boxes now. That's huge. Thank you for taking the time to poke around and do the grunt work. I just assumed it was some across-the-board, "that's just the way it is...deal with it" iOS issue and never really brought it up.

EDIT: Ha...drew and I both basically typed the exact same post/response.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-16, 16:56

Jinx!!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-17, 09:35

This is an attempt from my iPhone using the iPhone theme using this code:

Code:
I love hacking

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-17, 12:10

Brad, any chance you can magic the spoiler tags in the email notices?

Not sure how you would do that other than maybe just omitting what is tagged, if that is even possible.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-01-17, 12:14

Email?? Holy smokes. Someone here actually uses the email notices!

Clearly I need to stop underestimating what features people are using.

Thanks for bringing it up, though. I doubt I can get the JS/CSS hack working there, but I'll see if it's possible to omit the spoiler blocks entirely, maybe replacing with a short "(spoiler)" string.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-17, 12:18

Yeah, I use them to let me know when new posts come. I'm also using the RSS feeds.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-01-17, 12:30

Our of curiosity, what RSS reader do you use? I stopped using RSS years ago shortly after Google abandoned it and the free readers I used to have stopped working.

I used to love RSS.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-17, 12:35

I still do and was sad when Google killed it. Since Google axed theirs, I got introduced to TT-RSS and moved to it. I was self-hosting until this recent weekend when I finally moved to a docker version. In this case, it is forcing me to learn docker so it can stay updated.

I'm overall happy and thrilled with the product. You can secure it how you want but it does a great job aggregating feeds for you.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-17, 12:56

So THIS is how y'all are responding so quickly!!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-01-17, 12:57

Quote:
Dear turtle,

drewprops has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Spoiler Shields Don't Work for iPhone Stylesheet - in the Feedback forum of AppleNova Forums.

This thread is located at:
http://forums.applenova.com//showthr...3&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
So THIS is how y'all are responding so quickly!!

There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
AppleNova Forums
Yep.
chucker

2022-01-17, 13:50

I use Reeder on iOS for RSS. ReadKit on macOS.

I haven’t even noticed that my AppleNova e-mail notifications are apparently off. I have “view new posts” as a bookmark and tap that more often than I care to admit.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-01-17, 15:01

Oh golly. Brad you want my iOS RSS reader. It's Star Trek themed and it's MAGNIFICENT! Looks like a PADD.