AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

problem: port in use already

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
problem: port in use already
sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-02-10, 22:27

Here's a screenshot of the error I'm getting:

I'm trying to install Nullriver's new program connect360 to try it out. To run the program you have to open UDP port 1900 and TCP port 9335. I've gone into my firewall settings and done this. I've even tried turning off the firewall entirely to no avail.

I'm not aware of any programs that are using these ports. How do I find out what (or if a) program is using the port(s) already?

Granted it's a public beta, but I thought I'd see if there's anything obvious I was missing or a program I've overlooked.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
pkatzman
Formerly "djfusion"

Send a message via AIM to pkatzman Send a message via Yahoo to pkatzman Send a message via Skype™ to pkatzman 
2006-02-11, 00:50

Are your computer and 360 hooked up to a router? If so, I think it's a safe bet that the port isn't actually in use, but is being blocked by your router. This means that you'll need to tell the router to allow the set of ports you need (depending on the router this is called "Port Forwarding") to the IP of the Xbox, and if you wanna be safe, your Mac as well.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-02-11, 01:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfusion
Are your computer and 360 hooked up to a router? If so, I think it's a safe bet that the port isn't actually in use, but is being blocked by your router. This means that you'll need to tell the router to allow the set of ports you need (depending on the router this is called "Port Forwarding") to the IP of the Xbox, and if you wanna be safe, your Mac as well.
Yeah, I tried that too. No dice.
euain

2006-02-11, 08:36

You can try to see what is using the port - in a terminal netstat -a will tell you what ports are in use, lsof -i4 (I think - but you might want to check the man page) will tell you what is using each port.

It may be that you need to stop some other service/program as there is a clash.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-02-11, 12:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by euain
You can try to see what is using the port - in a terminal netstat -a will tell you what ports are in use, lsof -i4 (I think - but you might want to check the man page) will tell you what is using each port.

It may be that you need to stop some other service/program as there is a clash.
It must be a flaw in the program. I looked at both of those and didn't see either of the ports in use. I guess I'll send in a bug report.

Thanks everyone. I'll keep you updated.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-02-12, 11:59

Here's the update:

Turns out that it was a flaw in the uninstall process of TwonkyMedia Server that gave me a problem. If you had Twonky, make sure you delete all of it. Some of the program hides in the root account. (Jesus, I feel like I'm dealing with a Windows program)

Go to activity monitor, and make sure no part of Twonky is still running. The part that doesn't delete with the app is the part that keeps port 1900 in use.

Anyway, that was the drama. Connect360 is an awesome app. Well worth the $10.

One tip: If you have mp3 or AAC files encoded at a higher rate (mine were at 192), you'll have to set transcoding to 'highest' before your 360 will see all of them. Rockin' app.

- Steve Jobs

Last edited by sunrain : 2006-02-12 at 12:12.