AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

The Pscates Gottahaveitnow SE Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Pscates Gottahaveitnow SE Thread
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-15, 15:23

Post your iPhone SE business here. I'm sure it will be fun!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-15, 17:22

Been working outside on a retaining wall thing all day, since 9am. Just now learning of this. Yay!

After dinner, shower and rest/decompress time, I’ll check out all the details and talk about it. Just skimming Apple’s homepage, it looks like a hell of a deal! A13, 64GB, $399, etc. A step up from my beloved four-year-old SE in every way.

Sometimes Apple just releases “no brainer” products. This would be one. And it’ll sell like (crack-laced) hot cakes. The pent-up demand for a nicely-spec’d sub-$700 iPhone is through the roof.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2020-04-15, 18:55

128GB ProductRed is mine on Friday morning.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-15, 19:49

I will get the base 64GB, which is a great step up from the 16GB I’ve had all this time. I noticed the dark one is black, vs. space grey. Interesting. I guess that’s what color the 7 and 8 came in.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-16, 04:13

I guess there’s really not much to say about it, as it’s pretty much what everyone expected/wanted. It’s basically a repeat of 2016...the processor and storage capacity of the current flagship models, in the smaller body of a previous-generation design, and lacking some of the cutting-edge, high-end features/capabilities of the pricier flagship models (which many people won’t care about/miss anyway).

In other words, an iPhone for the rest of us. Anyone doing much squawking about this or that “shortcoming” of this model is just missing the point (the way some did in 2016).and obviously aren’t this model’s target user. Apple has three other models to satisfy your demands and expectations.

You’re not gonna get the world for $399. That’s just not how it works. In Appleville, The World starts at $699, and goes up from there. Way up. Many of us, however, are quite happy with a Respectable Chunk of the World for a reasonable $399*

Apple, thankfully, hasn’t forgotten about us. Not yet, anyway.

*As before, I plan to purchase it outright (I can do that easier with $400 than $700+), knowing it’ll be a four-year - at least - device, and super easy to justify as worth $100/year of steady, sometimes heavy, daily use). Easily the best bang-for-the-buck in Apple’s lineup, IMO. I honestly have zero complaints about this release (shocking, I know). It’s everything I expected and wanted, based on history (and being a realist). They didn’t get chintzy on the processor, storage, display, etc. like they could have. And best of all, they kept it a the $400 mark. A total replay of everything they did right in 2016. With the new Air, and now this, Apple’s made a couple of decisions very easy for me in 2020..

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-04-16 at 04:52.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-04-16, 05:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I guess there’s really not much to say about it, as it’s pretty much what everyone expected/wanted. It’s basically a repeat of 2016...the processor and storage capacity of the current flagship models, in the smaller body of a previous-generation design, and lacking some of the cutting-edge, high-end features/capabilities of the pricier flagship models (which many people won’t care about/miss anyway).

In other words, an iPhone for the rest of us. Anyone doing much squawking about this or that “shortcoming” of this model is just missing the point (the way some did in 2016).and obviously aren’t this model’s target user. Apple has three other models to satisfy your demands and expectations.
Precisely.

I don't understand some of the comments that this isn't "quite like" the SE 2016. Like you say, it's exactly the same! It's the CPU from half a year ago, in the case and form factor from the previous generation, at a price point that's surprisingly low for an Apple product (well, I suppose there's also the $329 iPad).

I do understand missing the 4-inch screen, though. But I think neither the demand nor the practicality was there.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-16, 06:12

Yeah, I would’ve loved a smaller, one-hand model like the previous SE (or, as a pipe dream, a 4.7”ish full face display in that same 5/5s/SE body size). But, as I said in the lead-up thread in S&R, I think, in 2020, Apple is out of the 4” display business (and a full-face design probably wouldn’t be an attractive $399).

They split the difference in a way that goes as small, and affordable, as they seem okay with. I guess all these games, trendy apps, etc. are all tailored for these larger screens and some of them just aren’t going to look/feel right on such a small screen?

If I, Mr. One Hand Evangelist, can accept a 4.7” model, then everyone else can as well. And I’ve also accepted that my dream iPhone - the 4.x” full-face display in a 5/5s/SE sized body - is most likely a no-go st this point, so I have to be okay with the next best thing. 4.7” works for me better than those 5-6” models. In four years, I can revisit/reassess everything. There’s no ttelling what crazy design/sizes may be common then. But I’m set until at least spring/summer of 2024 now.

If history is anything to go by, this new SE will be inexplicably discontinued in two-and-a-half years, followed by a third-generation SE in the style/design of the iPhone 11/12 in spring 2024.

Or this bastard virus kills everyone, the monkeys take over, and suddenly none of this silly shit even matters anymore.

Either way.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-04-16 at 06:25.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2020-04-16, 08:21

Monkeys are not taking over. The Racoons are. They’re already in our neighbourhoods, and just waiting for us to move out.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-16, 11:37

The ground squirrels will reclaim the desert here.

As far as phone replacements are concerned, my X is already way more phone than I need, and will easily last until the iPhone SE has full screen and Face ID, which I suspect is around the time my current thing is barely even close to needing replacement. The home button just no longer makes any sense to me. Every time I pick up a device with that confounded contraption, I wonder why it ever existed*.

I was hoping for this phone, but with Face ID. Apparently, that tech is still too expensive to shovel down any further. So be it. I'll keep waiting, knowing that I already have an overkill device.

* Yes, I know why it was [and still is] there.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-16, 11:59

That's definitely coming, we're just not there yet. I'm pretty sure the "affordable" iPhone, 3-5 years from now, will be centered around the full-face design, and (hopefully) everything across the board (the flagships) won't be as pricey either.

My Mom and a few friends have a post-X iPhone (FaceID, etc.) and as much as I should like them, something about them just doesn't sit well/feel right with me. Maybe because I've been a home button-based user from the get-go, summer 2007, and that just feels like "my iPhone"? The "chin" and forehead really don't bother me...I just see it as "how the iPhone is". Maybe if my cheap ass had bought an iPhone X, Xs or Xr in recent years I'd feel differently, but I've just not made that leap (and I won't, as long as they're going to go for $700+).

I'm sure at some point I'll have to move to that other design once this current SE serves its time and every iPhone in Apple's lineup is full-face (including the SE model). But I can put it off for another four years, after yesterday's announcement.

Something about FaceID annoys/creeps me out vs. TouchID. Go figure. I don't want my phone looking at/"recognizing" me, for some reason. I'll put my thumb/finger on that round thing if I want to use you, thankyouverymuch...until then, bug off. Again, I'm just old-school about things I guess...

PS - I noticed all three models have a black face. Is that new with this SE, or did the 7/8 do it as well? I've had white/silver iPhones since 2012 (iPhone 5 and SE) and the faces/frames were white). I know the 5c had black face frames (which clashed horribly with all those ice cream/candy shop colors...those definitely should've been white). I think the silver iPhone 7 and 8 had the white face frame. I've actually come to like it...seems to make the iPhone "disappear" in a dim/darkened room, you just see/notice the illuminated display (and not a stark white frame around it).

Honestly, if Apple just wants to update the SE - in this body design/screen size - for eternity, putting in the current flagship-level chip at each refresh (every 2-3 years?), I'd be 110% cool with that. If I could have an A18 iPhone SE in 4-5 years for $399 and this exact same package, I'm happy as a clam. Feel free to spare me the gimmicks, buzzwords and the more dipshit, youth/hipster-oriented "marquee features" (sorry, but I'm never going to get my head around "selfie culture" and a whole feature set/technology built around that goofiness; yes, you can pout...we all saw it the first 782 times, sweetie) and you've got my $$$ and support until the day I keel over.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-04-16 at 12:52.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-16, 12:16

I'm pretty old school with a lot of things, as well, but that home button …

That is a bit of tech which absolutely made every bit of sense in the world when the iPhone and iPad first came along. But after using Face ID, I just cannot get my head to wrap back around the button. It drives me absolutely batty! My only complaint with Face ID is that it is quite sketchy if the sun is shining on it or on my face, which makes opening the phone while driving a bit fidgety, but I am exploring dash mounts that will get the phone closer to my face to combat that problem.

Quote:
PS - I noticed all three models have a black face. Is that new with this SE, or did the 7/8 do it as well? I've had white/silver iPhones since 2012 (iPhone 5 and SE) and the faces/frames were white). I know the 5c had black face frames (which clashed horribly with all those ice cream/candy shop colors...those definitely should've been white). I think the silver iPhone 7 and 8 had the white face frame. I've actually come to like it...seems to make the iPhone "disappear" in a dim/darkened room, you just see/notice the illuminated display (and not a stark white frame around it).
That is a new thing. The 6/7/8 were all available with a white face. Probably a design-consistency thing. Now, all iPhones have a black face.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-16, 12:49

Makes more sense. I think it makes the display "pop" more. I don't mind that decision at all.

I have some $$$ coming from some outdoor project help the past 1-2 weeks. I think I'm going to take $400 of that and snag one of these by mid-May (once they appear locally and I can just go pick one up, same-day, and hand over cash; again, old school ). The battery performance on my current SE is just so flaky these past couple of months, and I'm thinking the lightning port itself might be acting up because cable insertion is a hit-or-miss thing the past few weeks. I sometimes have to do so 2-3 times for the charging symbol to appear (or for iTunes/Photos to launch, if attaching to my Mac).

This new SE hit at the perfect time! Just when my current SE hits its four-year "screw you, I'm outta here...I'm just gonna start falling apart and acting weird now" mark, here comes a new model to replace it with. Kinda cool, actually. It'll be as much of a "have to" purchase as the "want to" one it's been all along.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-04-16 at 13:07.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2020-04-16, 18:54

Okay I'm gonna ask about accessories! There's wireless charging now. Also I'm gonna get a screen protector. Considering a slim case because I've only had metal-backed ones never glass-backed ones, has anyone got recs or favorites? Or do you go naked?

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-04-17, 03:56

Glass does help with the grip somewhat (it's not as slippery as aluminum), but it does still slip quite a bit.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2020-04-17, 07:24

YEAH!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-17, 08:10

Cool.

I didn't realize that they only charge $50 to go from 64 to 128GB. I won't do it because I'm not even filling the 16GB I've had for four years (64GB is going to feel like a mansion, and be 2-3x more than I'll realistically ever use/need), but for someone who takes lots of pics/video or stores music on their phone (or am I the only person who still does that?), that's a no-brainer...double the storage for a mere $50? Nice!

This phone is just hitting all the right marks, huh? It's really hard for a (sane) person to find anything legitimate to bitch/grouse about on this new SE. It's one of those "it is what it is" things that comes along every now and then and you either like/buy it or realize it's not for you and you get on with your life elsewhere. This doesn't seem like it should be a contentious, controversial or whine-inducing product. I believe the market for it is clearly-defined and the price/features package is solid.

I suppose someone could complain that it doesn't come in this-or-that color...to which I say "well, buy a damn case in whatever color/pattern/design you like...there are only about 79,000 to choose from at this point".

In fact, I don't know why Apple doesn't simplify their manufacturing/shipping/stocking hassles and just make every iPhone in silver and maybe the red, knowing most of the planet is going to throw it into a case anyway that immediately negates the sage green or lilac or rose gold, etc. anyway. With all the face frames now unified on black, who honestly gives a shit what the rear of the phone's color is if it's going to sit in a case its entire life? Apple's meager color choices can't compete with what's out there in the case world anyway. I don't know why they go through the hassle of colors on a product that won't really be showing it off once it's in use by the owner. Weird decision.

Take the resources/design work they waste on "which colors should we make the phones this year?" and just put that toward a wide-range of nice-looking first-party cases instead?

"You want a metallic peach iPhone? Here's the official Apple case for it...$29, knock yourself out!"

Oh well...
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2020-04-17, 08:31

So, uh, is iPhone 8 gonna be discontinued on Friday? Or, is it already? Because, I mean, isn't this newer, cheaper phone equal to or better than the 8 in every way? Well, except I guess in the "number of numerals in its name" category.

Ugh.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-17, 09:17

The 8 was discontinued the day this new SE was announced. This new one is taking its place.

The new SE is now the only “old school” TouchID-based iPhone in the lineup.
chucker

2020-04-17, 09:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug View Post

So, uh, is iPhone 8 gonna be discontinued on Friday? Or, is it already? Because, I mean, isn't this newer, cheaper phone equal to or better than the 8 in every way? Well, except I guess in the "number of numerals in its name" category.

Yes. The 8 was discontinued when this SE 2 was introduced.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-17, 10:13

And the iPhone SE uses parts from various phones, including the screen from the iPhone 6s. So it's a cobbled together franken-phone that packs the punch from the 11 series, the design from the 8 series, and the screen from the 6 series.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-17, 16:41

If that's what they need to do to sell a decently-spec'd, sub-$700 iPhone, God bless 'em.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-04-17, 19:29

Extremely good value for the money. If I hadn't bought a XS last year, because my 6s was dying, then I'd be all over this 2020 SE.
chucker

2020-04-18, 04:28

Right now, we have a pretty good $399 iPhone, $329 iPad, $199 Watch, $999 MacBook Air.

Not bad.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-18, 05:35

Not bad at all. I was talking about this very thing with someone just yesterday, about how for the first time in a while I can enthusiastically recommend several key Apple products to others without a half-dozen caveats or “yeah, but...” follow-ups.

Feels nice.

My uncle and Mom are looking to step up from their 2009-2013 era Macs, my Dad and stepmom are definitely replacing their 5s(!) and SE iPhones, and I have four others in my life looking to upgrade (or buy for the first time) one of these mentioned Apple products. And I’m there to offer advice, info and guidance in a way that doesn’t make me cringe inside.

The people I know are regular folks. They do okay but none of them are wealthy, more-money-than-sense types just looking to fling gobs of money on stuff for all the wrong reasons. Right now I can feel good about recommending some things to them.

I know Apple wants to cater to that up-market, luxury crowd - and that’s fine, nobody’s saying they can’t - but they cannot - and should not - forget The Rest of Us. We count too, and our money is just as green and our loyalty is just as strong. It’s nice to see some quality, no-apologies offerings for those on more realistic, practical budgets.

I don’t know anyone truly looking to drop $700+ on a damn phone. But $400, and with a design/interface they’re already super comfortable/familiar with? I know people like that by the bucketload...pretty much everyone I know. I don’t have to resent and slam Apple for the first time in quite a while. I could get used to this...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-04-18 at 07:44.
chucker

2020-04-18, 07:02

Quote:
Not bad at all. I was talking about this very thing with someone just yesterday, about how for the first time in a while I can enthusiastically recommend severa in l key Apple products to others without a half-dozen caveats or “yeah, but...” follow-ups.

Feels nice.
Right? Exactly how I felt about the 2020 MacBook Air. First time in about half a decade that a Mac product felt just right for the masses. Cheap? No. Good? Yes.

I don't know if it's Ive going away, or Phil getting through to Tim, or probably a more complex scenario, but… thank goodness that happened.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-18, 07:30

I know his fingerprints and projects are in the pipeline and still part of things(?) but I do like to imagine Ive’s departure factors in a bit. My impression of him in recent years, right or wrong, has been that of a pretentious, point-missing, form-over-function lump on auto-pilot who was just going through the motions, obsessed only with thinness-over-all-else, weight loss (ironic, considering...) and removing as many useful ports as possible

I got tired of that shit really fast, believe me. That 2012 iMac redesign was the first time I kinda went “uh-oh...”, and it seemed to just go from there.

I think Steve’s death flipped a switch in him and he just lost the drive or spark without his friend there to partner with on World-Changing Crazy Stuff. He should’ve left years ago, IMO.

I rejoiced at the news of his departure because he seemed directly responsible for more than a few questionable, annoying designs and initiatives. It got to where I was dreading new releases because I knew there was a solid chance they were just gonna piss me off and make me a lot. I’ve yet to experience this reaction in 2020, so I can’t help but think maybe his input was limited/missing on these recent solid releases.

Whatever the reason(s) it’s just a refreshing change to have positive, hopeful feelings again for a company I’ve spent 25+ years supporting and championing. I’ve been in iBernation for years it seems, reluctant to carry that flag or sing those praises. Makes me happy to feel like I can maybe start to do so again a bit. Based on the Air and SE, I find myself looking forward to what else 2020 may hold. That hasn’t been the case in quite some time!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2020-04-18 at 07:53.
chucker

2020-04-18, 07:51

Quote:
I think Steve’s death flipped a switch in him and he just lost the drive or spark without his friend there to partner with on World-Changing Crazy Stuff. He should’ve left years ago, IMO.
Yup. I think after Steve, he just got bored and despondent. He had the Apple Park project to distract him, but the frankly more important things he was responsible for, like the hardware design and now also UI design(!!) of, I don't know, every single Apple platform, he didn't really seem to take seriously.

Quote:
I rejoiced at the news of his departure because he seemed directly responsible for more than a few questionable, annoying designs and initiatives. It got to where I was dreading new releases because I knew there was a solid chance they were just gonna piss me off and make me a lot. I’ve yet to experience this reaction in 2020, so I can’t help but think maybe his input was limited/missing on these recent solid releases.
I hope some genuinely good ideas make a return. Or new ones to replace them do.

So many great things my 2010 MacBook Pro had. A light at the front that pulses when the Mac is asleep, at roughly the rate a human would breathe. A two-color light on the power cord to show if the Mac is connected and/or charging. A lit up Apple logo at the back, just because. Little pop-out plastic parts on the AC adapter so it's easier to wind up when you're heading out. on the go.

You don't need all that, or those exact things. But to replace it with nothing feels… empty and unimaginative.

I think in the quest for purity and minimalism, Apple lost a lot of the whimsy, and while I don't want iOS 6-era even-the-shadows-have-their-own-shadows glitz back, I'm also tired of sterile white room your Mac comes in any color as long as it's some shade of grey.

But, yeah, we might be seeing some light at the end of the tunnel here?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-18, 08:00

I believe so.

2013-2019 hasn’t been my favorite period of the company, for sure. And while I’m probably too old and jaded to ever experience that wide-eyed, evangelistic giddiness of 1998-2003 again, I just like knowing that maybe I don’t have to actively hate the company, going forward. Sure, I’ll take that!
¡Damned!

2020-04-18, 08:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I think in the quest for purity and minimalism, Apple lost a lot of the whimsy
Exactly this. Those delightful, unexpected 'extras' are what made me an Apple fan in the first place.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-04-18, 08:06

The pendulum definitely swung a bit too far in that direction. Maybe it can ease back to some nice happy medium in the coming years. Somewhere between translucent fruitiness and stark anorexia lies paradise?