Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iOS/iPadOS 14
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-06-25, 11:38

Any one here upgrade yet?

My son’s iPad is running v14 and seems to be pretty stable. The stacks are kinda neat, but remind me of the Metro UI I hated in Windows Mobile/Win8. I’m contemplating installing the beta on my phone, but I use it everyday and not sure I want to test it in production. I am tempted for my iPad though since it is really for play right now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-25, 11:43

I'm waiting on this one until later in the year. I don't rely on my iPhone for much, but the last round of upgrades (especially Catalina) have left a bad taste in my mouth. I haven't had too many problems with iOS 13, but an ongoing iCloud bug is making me want to kill things. iOS 14 may fix that bug and make me happy, but I'm gun-shy right now.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-06-25, 20:39

My days of doing unpaid beta testing for Apple are behind me. I don't have time to deal with the issues that come up anymore.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-06-26, 09:19

My son is still really happy with his beta but I'm still really hesitant. I'm just hoping someone else who uses devices daily would point out if there are bugs and how usable it is. I'm really after WachOS and iOS updates. Will I wait it out, likely.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-06-26, 09:34

Seems fairly quiet so far on my Twitter timeline in terms of bugs, surprisingly.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-06-26, 09:36

That is kinda what I'm "not hearing" too. This is either people being really quiet about their bugs or it is pretty stable. Given this should be a more mature iOS13 I'm not surprised.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-06-26, 13:32

Most stable releases across the board in years, if not ever. I have them all installed.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2020-07-09, 20:37

Has anyone installed the public beta yet? Tempted to do it. I’ve heard what every has reiterated that it’s very stable.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2020-07-09, 22:10

I've got the dev betas on my devices: iMac, iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro, and Appel Watch.

They're ok for the most part. It definitely helps that I'm not leaving the house much, but I've been pretty good with my iPhone so far. Of course there are the random Springboard crashes and some widgets being wonky, but for the most part, it's fine. Three are some apps that crash on launch, but that's to be expected. The overall OS is pretty good.

The iPad seems to have a little more bugs, but I still am using it each day and it's not really that bad.

I'd definitely say go ahead and install it across the board. I've only left my MBP out of the beta train for now just.in case something I need for work doesn't work in Big Sur. (Stupid scanner drivers)

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-07-10, 02:15

Beta 2 for my iPhone was surprisingly more problematic than Beta 1. A lot more frozen third party app issues. But wireless charging seems to work again (in beta 1 it didn't at all for me).
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2020-07-10, 07:11

Put Big Sur and Xcode 12 on an external SSD to mess around with, and have iPadOS on my mini5. Maybe in August I’ll put it on my phone so I can mess around with putting widgets on the home page, but it’s too early in the dev cycle for me to trust it on my most used device.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-07-10, 07:44

Just put public beta 1 (identical build number to developer beta 2) on my main iPhone.

The new widgets seem like a bit of a wonky transition. I'm also a bit disappointed you can't, in wiggle mode, pinch to change their size. You apparently have to delete and re-add?

The batteries widget now exists in three sizes. That's nice, but all of them seem to be worse than the previous one. I don't like the circular UI in the square variants, which leaves the wide one, which is almost like the old one, except now it doesn't autosize vertically but always takes up… six rows? Who has five additional devices connected that all report their battery status like this?

(edit)

OK, a lot of these limitations are just strange, like they only went through half the process.

So there's a new UI to show all home screens, a bit like what used to be in iTunes. Cool. But…

The new widgets, which can be moved to any screen, seem to kind of invite the notion of having topical screens. A bit like using multiple watch faces on the watch for different times of day (sleep, work, activity, etc.). So I wanted to make a Health + Activity one, right?

Well, first off, I can't really insert a new screen. I can only append at the end. And I can't then move that entire screen closer to the front; I can only, apparently, toggle entire screens on or off.

OK, fine, I'll rearrange them the hard way — make a new screen at the very end, and start moving things in there. Oooh, I can add this new widget there. Nice. Ew, I can't add this old widget there (that'll probably become moot as apps modernize their widget implementation). So I got the one widget, and I can't have the other widget. Fine. But now let's start adding apps.

Oops — limited there as well. You still can't move icons to arbitrary slots on that screen. That made sense in the old days where it was just a truckload of icons, but now, with App Library and widgets in there, why would you have this limitation?

I do like that you can quickly scroll through the pages now. I don't think there was a way to do that before (other than quickly getting to the first page)?

Last edited by chucker : 2020-07-10 at 12:22.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2020-07-10, 07:51

Apple Pencil, Apple Watch, air pods, air pods charging case, and an Apple external battery pack. About the only way I could see requiring more than one or two icons.

Still better looking than the Big Sur battery icon monstrosity LOL.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-07-14, 09:27

I've reported a few bugs with the widgets over the last few days. Mostly to do with the widgets inconsistently following (or not) the auto dark mode. In some cases it would do it piecemeal - ie: make the map dark, but the UI (search buttons etc) were still in light mode.

Overall, though, I like it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-08-26, 12:38

I've been enjoying the overall stability of the beta for a while now. The one real question I have though is when does the Gold Master get released as a beta? I know generally it is around two weeks before full deployment or so. The reason I ask is I'd like to install that last beta then remove the beta profile so I'm back on stable builds for my daily use.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-08-26, 13:40

I found Beta 4 to be really nasty with several "restart the phone" bugs, but 5 and today 6 have been mostly fine. I do sometimes get a thing where the Camera is nothing but black screen. Hoping that won't happen in Beta 6...(or worse, it might turn out to be hardware related...)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-09-15, 13:03

I removed my beta profiles since the official launch is tomorrow. I'm sure I'm using the same version right now that will be released tomorrow.

I am a little shocked there isn't much lead time before publicly releasing. Normally there is a week or so from the time of product announcements.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-14, 14:21

Big update today with the inclusion of the Privacy "nutrition label".. It also has Fitness+ and support for new overpriced () devices.

I'm interested to see how the privacy label changes people's habits on "buying" apps from the App Store. I know I will pay attention.

chucker

2020-12-14, 14:35

Has the privacy label feature launched yet? Don’t seem to see it yet.

Also… Health is (probably correctly) nagging me about my cardio fitness, which is a new feature, but it’s not very actionable? There’s a blurb about what it means, but the advice seems to be “try working out more”. Uh. OK.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-14, 14:38

According to the article it has, I don't know though given my devices are still rebooting right now. I think it is up to the apps to provide the details for them and then they will show up. At a certain point Apple would likely kick out apps that don't provide the details. That is purely a guess on my part though.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-12-14, 16:07

I went ahead and checked one app that updated today, Apple's Clips app and it does not have any noticeable change to the privacy section. So other than the article I've not seen any app with the new label either. I guess even Apple needs to get it right.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-26, 12:30

14.5 is out now. Along with it the tracking/privacy changes. I'm downloading now... hoping for the best and nothing is broken following it!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-26, 12:33

Updating now.

Looking forward to telling these trackers to go to hell!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-26, 12:51

Same here.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-26, 13:02

I'm upgrading now too. I don't really follow all the details like I used to, I just like to stay current. I figure that's better for performance, battery, privacy/security, etc. reasons.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-04-26, 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Updating now.

Looking forward to telling these trackers to go to hell!
It’s not like they still don’t profile you with it on, they just do other things to identify you than direct cookies and such. Each time this comes up people in the know point this out. By blocking everything you actually paint yourself with a red flag, leading to deeper tracking. It keeps your direct name safe from listing, but don’t think they still cannot track you.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-26, 14:17

Oh, I know they're cat/mousing, believe me. Still …

I'll do what I can.
chucker

2021-04-26, 15:20

I've been on the betas for a long time, and, honestly, Apple could've released this like a month or two ago. Pretty solid.

One feature that's little-discussed (and even the "what's new in Music" screen doesn't mention it): you can now swipe right on songs to enqueue them for later playback. Much nicer than having to find that in a menu.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-28, 13:58

Is anyone noticing battery life improvements on their iPhones? Mine doesn’t seem to drain anywhere near as quickly as it was pre14.5.

I FaceTimed a friend last night and after an hour it had only gone down 8-9%. Two weeks ago, I was dropping over twice that.

Instead of going down like a countdown clock, I’m able to use it longer once it drops below 20%. In fact, it’s been on 13% for 20 minutes now. Before, I could sit and watch it go from 20 to 10% (and lower) as I surfed.

It isn’t budging and I’ve made no changes whatsoever to anything.

Just curious if anyone is seeing such changes.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-04-29 at 09:37.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-29, 09:32

I read an article about the battery management being very different for 14.5 and that is it recalibrating on certain newer phones. While this isn't relevant directly to the SE, it might have more to do with the changes of that management system that is impacting your visible charge level. For the 11 and up is said it would take about two weeks to "recalibrate" so see how your phone is actually handling it in two weeks to see if it is just getting the levels right.

Personally I haven't seen my phone lasting longer but I'm normally sitting with it docked on my desk during the day and only "mobile" for the latter half of the evening when I'm using my iPad mostly.