User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Blocking Hong Kong IP addresses (update: and more!!)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Blocking Hong Kong IP addresses (update: and more!!)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-12-22, 19:32

There's a bad actor using Alibaba resources in Hong Kong who is constantly hammering this server with requests. It looks like they're just very aggressively scraping threads and posts over and over again with increasing frequency.

Network traffic over the last 30 days

That tall thin spike a week ago is an unrelated outlier; that was me pulling pulling down a large backup from the server.

I don't have the time nor the inclination to set up any sophisticated QoL load balancer here to try to rate limit these goons, and I certainly can't afford (and don't want) a CDN service like CloudFlare. So, I'm banning the offending octet. Sorry, people of Hong Kong if there are any people there who are legitimately trying to use AppleNova.

🤷‍♂️

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-12-22, 19:43

Ugh. And also someone, probably the same jerks, abusing AWS resource in US West (Oregon). Two more /24s to block.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2023-12-22, 20:03

I read the Wired article about the trio of young men who ruled the IOT bot army, laying waste to many sites with their sheer power. I don't know how you elude these folks when they want you.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-12-22, 20:20

Truth be told, when one of these assholes sets their sights on your site, you're completely fucked unless you have deep pockets and a hotline to a major CDN player like CloudFlare and/or special network devices (a "WAF" at least but also probably some beefy routers) that sit in your private network between your servers and the outside world to moderate incoming traffic. If someone seriously wanted to take down AppleNova with a DDoS, I couldn't put up much resistance. I'd just shut it all down for a while.

Meanwhile, I found a large part of the current problem: fuck semrush.com and fuck babbar.tech. Both SEO "analytics" companies. I noparse'd their names here so they don't get the pleasure of a free link.

I think my work is done for tonight. (I know; famous last words.) Based on patterns I've seen in access logs, I have now blocked…

Three /24s
One /19
Two /17s
Two /14s
One /12
and a partridge in a pear tree!

For people who aren't familiar with CIDR notation, that's 256 IPs per /24, 8192 IPs per /19, 32768 IPs per /17, 262144 IPs per /14 and 1048576 IPs per /12 for a total of ~1.5 million blocked IP addresses. I'm casting a wide net with these masks, but it should be fine because it looks like all the addresses therein belong to AWS, Alibaba, Huawei Clouds, or these SEO companies privately themselves.

If you're trying to browse AppleNova from some cloud server like an AWS EC2 instance, sorry, but don't.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2023-12-22, 20:38

By the way, if you've ever looked at the "Currently Active Users" on the forums homepage and wondered how on earth we peaked at 4457 members simultaneously online on some random day in 2022, it was all bots.

Before I started blocking things just now, about an hour ago that statistic showed that we had 500+ currently online at the time. All bots. We're down to double digits now that the bad bots have been kicked. I don't block Google or Bing because they're pretty essential even if our community isn't growing from presence in search engines. I could not care any less about some fly-by-night SEO/SEM companies, though. Most of them can die in a fire, as far as I'm concerned.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2023-12-23, 03:55

No need to worry; Elon said he’s solving the bot problem.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2023-12-23, 05:02

I only frequent this forum for the AI bots.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-12-23, 23:09

Nice update on this. I block a chunk to my IPs too for the same reason. Thankfully I have far less traffic than this, though I do use Cloudflare now for my home IP thanks to their free services. They are my registrar now too for that matter. So I just run my DNS and proxy service through them.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-16, 13:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ω_ View Post
I only frequent this forum for the AI bots.
Well, then, you missed out on some fun this week!
tomoe
Veteran Member

2024-02-16, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Well, then, you missed out on some fun this week!
So many girls posts. Thought murbot returned for a second.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-02-16, 23:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
So many girls posts. Thought murbot returned for a second.

Right? Where is that Canadian asshole, anyway? He always has the best stuff.