Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

New Clothes Dryer

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New Clothes Dryer
Matsu
Veteran Member

2024-01-04, 14:28

Our laundry room is in the furnace/mechanical room. Has easy access to the gas line, so a gas dryer is an option, but do to lung health concerns, I may skip it regardless of the cost/maintenance advantages.

That leaves electric. I had no idea there were so many options now. Vented, ventless, heat pump...

Any recommendations? Capacity and speed matter.

Growing up my dad always followed a "buy American" philosophy for appliances. The wisdom of the time was that they were the easiest to get parts/service/repairs. Do you guys feel that still applies? Or do Euro and Asian offerings have more or less the same avail these days?

The old clunker is making an awful racket, but still dries well. Might have to open it up and see if it's just a belt fraying or something...

If I change both, I could stack them and free up a little floor space.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2024-01-04, 14:43

Gas is much better than electrical, if you're willing to go that route. There shouldn't be any issues with lung issues. At least I've never heard of any issues like that with a gas dryer.

Knock on wood, I've had a Samsung washer and drier for about 10 years and they run great. So for other appliance brands, I've had great experiences with LG and currently have Kitchenaid, which is GE/Whirlpool. Anymore, I feel like if you want, you can find bad or great reviews for any brand. If you have any questions, just get the extended warranty. We did that for our fridge and wall oven just because of cost.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-04, 16:18

I'm running a plain old electric and it is Samsung. Been more than ten years with it at least but don't recall. I've not had issues with it at all. The washer that was paired with it died long ago because bad design and heavy use.

When I last looked it really did seem like a roll of the dice if the review was good or not. Some people just love to complain.

I like the idea of a heat pump dryer, but I've read they really just drag out the drying process due to overall lower heat. Not looked into it much, that could have been from an old codger that was born with an old electric and will die with one.

I guess you have to first figure out which type will serve you best and then narrow it down from there. I can't imagine gas being bad though with good venting.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2024-01-04, 19:16

Didn't even know gas dryers were a thing. We've always had electric. Heat pumps = expensive, and don't work well in low humidity and cold environments, if that's an issue for you at any time of year.

We've had a LG washer and dryer for the last 8-10 years, they seem good to me. Most new appliances aren't very repairable anyway, they make them that way on purpose, so just pick something. My sister just tried to get their stove and fridge fixed (both went at once, of course!), it was hopeless, because everything is modular, once they don't make the module you are out of luck.

Last edited by PB PM : 2024-01-04 at 19:27.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-01-05, 00:48

I've never heard of ventless dryers, how interesting.

I have been trying to find time to swap out our semi-rigid flexible vent line.

Ventless sounds too good to be true.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-05, 08:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I've never heard of ventless dryers, how interesting.

I have been trying to find time to swap out our semi-rigid flexible vent line.

Ventless sounds too good to be true.

All that water in your clothes has to go somewhere. This is fine if you need the boost in humidity but I can't imagine that being a good thing in the summer in Georgia. I know I would hate is here in SC!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2024-01-05, 09:19

Here’s what a combination of information and shared experiences have led me to understand.

For economy and speed, gas is probably king. A good friend of mine has all his rental properties set-up with a gas dryer and believes they’re the most reliable. Those who have them swear by them, but like my friend, it could simply be a preference or confirmation bias.

Vented electric is probably the most common. It’s what I grew up with and most of my family has had over the years. I got to say these seem to last a long time as well. My mom is on her second dryer at her place, where she’s been for forty years. First one lasted over 30 years. I wonder if the second will last as long? Ours has got to be close to 40 years old and was left by the previous owners - it’s in a tan-mustard color to give you an idea of the vintage. It must be an energy pig, but it dries laundry. I think the only setting that really works is high heat, which will pretty much dry anything crispy dry in 40-60 minutes. I don’t put anything delicate in it, but it’s great for towels and bedding.

What people are calling “ventless” are basically heat pumps that extract the moisture and send it down a discharge tube to a drain or overflow tank. Any lint that used to be trapped in traditional dryer vent ends up in this discharge circuit, so it’s important to clean the filters regularly or performance may suffer. Maybe this is no more onerous than cleaning the lint trap which I do regularly anyway. Not having ever operated one of these I don’t know how user friendly this process is, but I imagine it would be designed to be self evident and easy. From a performance standpoint they are reported to be among the most efficient and gentle on clothes, but not as fast as vented. Some have modes that speed things up but trade away any efficiency gain in order to do so. Then again, I don’t really know how quickly a modern dryer works, so maybe anything will still outperform our existing. It will certainly be faster than the compact stacked unit in our first condo, that thing took multiple cycles to dry even a small load. They cost a bit more and I'm not sure one ever recoups the up-front difference in energy savings, but I like the idea that it could be gentler on some clothes.

There are older ventless technologies that rely on condensers, but those were probably never acceptable by North American standards, and are not being considered.

As mentioned the (furnace) room is probably close to ideal for a gas unit, but due to my wife’s lung issues, I’m weary to add even vented gas appliances to the mix.

Edit: I did a little more research on "ventless" heat pump dryers. Of course they use a sealed refrigerant circuit, so one extra maintenance step is that the coils need a periodic cleaning to maintain performance - most have a front access panel for this - and the longevity of your unit is probably limited to the life of the sealed refrigerant circuit: I don't imagine these are rechargeable.

Edit 2: I'm leaning towards vented electric for simplicity/speed/capacity. We have two messy boys and seem to go through a great deal of laundry in a week...

Last edited by Matsu : 2024-01-05 at 10:18.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2024-01-07, 23:39

What’s you’re budget?
Matsu
Veteran Member

2024-01-08, 01:16

Budget is flexible. I have space in the home for a laundry closet on both the main floor and in the upstairs master, so depending on accessibility needs in the future the furnace/laundry room may only serve as a secondary laundry area. However, for now it’s the only one.

I don’t think I’d want to spend more than $3000 for a washer/dryer pair.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2024-01-08, 02:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Didn't even know gas dryers were a thing.
Right??
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-01-08, 02:10

I think gas is awesome for furnaces and stoves, but for some reason gas dryers freak me out (but then we've always had electric).

Tonight I replaced the vent run on ours.

It's below grade by about 4 feet.

This time around I used actual 90° elbows and a length of rigid metal venting.

I want to get a "90° close elbow" to reduce the distance the machine is forced to sit away from the back wall.

If I could do an entire hard run I would.

Venting is important.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2024-01-08, 10:25

The other thing I never really noticed is the swings on the doors. Seems that the common arrangement is to have the washer to the left and the dryer to the right. For front loaders the washer door almost always hinges left only, while the swing is reversible for many dryers. So, provided the washer is on the left, you put a right swing door on the dryer to the right and it's simple to dump clothes from one to the other in a side-by-side pair, or you switch the dryer door to left to have them open on the same side in a stacked pair.

Of course, whoever moved the laundry to the ultility room put the washer (top load) to the right, and the dryer to the left with the swing the wrong way to boot and with a big two basin utility sink in between.

I'll probably just end up moving everything so I can either stack the pair or have the side by side as intended - washer left, w/ left swing, and dryer right with right swing, without the sink between them. So tedious and annoying. I can sort of tell they purposely made this arrangement 'cause the sink has a long run to the vent stack and drain, when really it should be much closer. But fixing that means the dryer vent ends up on the wrong side, but I guess I can fix that with some solid steel pipes and some tin snips rather than cut a new hole in the basement. At least everything is open in that room...

Some of the pricier models have reversible swings on both dryer and washer. Not 100% sure if I like side-by-side with a folding counter on top, or stacked for this space...

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-01-08, 15:41

We’ve always gone with top loading washers, and front loading dryers.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2024-01-09, 09:14

Top loaders have reliability and capacity on their side.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-09, 09:19

We had top loaders my whole life until about 15 years ago when Mrs T wanted to try a front loader. We got a high capacity Samsung followed by an LG. The capacity is not a problem with front loaders. I will say my clothes are just as going coming out of it as they were my top load. Maybe even better with the lack of stretching that happens with top loaders that have tall agitators like mine all did.

The water conservation of a front v top is huge for me now. My sceptic system can only take so much at once and a top loader would just overwhelm it on the second load (when adding in normal household waste water too).

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2024-01-09, 09:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
The water conservation of a front v top is huge for me now. My sceptic system can only take so much at once and a top loader would just overwhelm it on the second load (when adding in normal household waste water too).
What water savings? They all have load sensors now and only use just the right amount.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2024-01-09, 09:35

Not to mention the additional space you gain on a front loader by not having an agitator
Matsu
Veteran Member

2024-01-09, 10:09

I've nosed around the appliance section at home despot and seen what look like some really big top loaders with no agitators. I think LG and Maytag, like 5.5-6 cubic ft? Must use a lot of water.

Turtle, I'm curious about the longevity. Two washers in 15 years. Are we talking 6-8 years each? And is this about typical for new appliances.

In our old condo we have one of those small capacity laundry tower things that originally came with the unit. Performance (particularly the dryer) was terrible. It needed a service/repair at about year twenty, and probably should have been replaced, but we were selling and just lived with it for a few months. My mom has an old oven/range in her basement. That thing is older than I am. It still has screw-in fuses, and apart from needing a new fuse every few years, it still works great. She just retired a chest freezer that had to be close to 50 years old. It just seemed to make an unmanageable amount of frost at the end, probably because the bottom had rotted out of it in a few spots and the seals had become a bit stiff. I bring it up because I imagine new appliances don't come anywhere near the same level of longevity now... Am I dreaming to want these things to last 20 years or so?

tomoe
Veteran Member

2024-01-09, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
Budget is flexible. I have space in the home for a laundry closet on both the main floor and in the upstairs master, so depending on accessibility needs in the future the furnace/laundry room may only serve as a secondary laundry area. However, for now it’s the only one.

I don’t think I’d want to spend more than $3000 for a washer/dryer pair.
We have this LG Washtower and like it enough so far for a family of 3 (lotsa laundry with a 7 month old ). The only caveat I would mention is: We had no say in the purchase -- our landlady picked it out to replace the finicky/squeaky/loud af GE unit we had. The "Sensor Dry" functionality is honestly kind of annoying. The dryer stops before the clothes are fully dry, so often end up using the Timed Dry setting.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-01-09, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
We have this LG Washtower and like it enough so far for a family of 3 (lotsa laundry with a 7 month old ). The only caveat I would mention is: We had no say in the purchase -- our landlady picked it out to replace the finicky/squeaky/loud af GE unit we had. The "Sensor Dry" functionality is honestly kind of annoying. The dryer stops before the clothes are fully dry, so often end up using the Timed Dry setting.
My dryer has that sensor thing but a selectable "dry level" option. Crispy isn't on the list, but "More Dry" is.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2024-01-09, 18:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
My dryer has that sensor thing but a selectable "dry level" option. Crispy isn't on the list, but "More Dry" is.
Same. Depending what I'm drying, ie: towels, blankets, heavier things, it could could run for 70 minutes. Other stuff like workout clothes, t-shirts, lighter things, might only go 50 minutes. It always comes out dry though.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Matsu
Veteran Member

2024-01-11, 10:59

Hot on the heels of having successfully diagnosed and repaired my dishwasher throwing up random fault codes, I'm going to attempt to fix the dryer. I'm 99.99% sure it's the belt/pulley assembly, only issue is whether they still make a repair kit for this dinosaur, or if I have to adapt something, but that should be a 100% mechanical fix, which is more in my wheelhouse than any electronic bobbins... I'll try to save the $$$ splurge for a main floor or master bedroom laundry closet where quiet operation and automated features will be more appreciated.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-01-28, 21:31

Well, what happened??

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2024-02-23, 10:41

The clothes are damp
Matsu
Veteran Member

2024-02-23, 16:30

Update: I'm still living with the racket because I'm a chronic procrastinator.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-02-26, 16:38

My dryer exhaust hose split so my laundry room gets seriously humid and hot if the door is closed while running laundry. Apparently no one thought to tell me this was a problem so I discovered it myself when doing laundry this weekend.

No big deal, I'll snip the end off that hose and clamp it back on the dryer after vacuuming out the tube in the dryer and such.

However,

Glad I caught this before it was a real problem!