AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Nintendo Wii

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Nintendo Wii
Page 2 of 10 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-04-27, 14:30

Well at least we Mac users don't have to defend "MacBook Pro" anymore. Nintendo has solidly shifted the ridicule over to them.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2006-04-27, 14:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
You mean that hadn't been firmly established already?

Golly.
No, I don't think wii had. I could bii wrong though.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-04-27, 15:00

turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-04-27, 15:47

Meh. Nintendo are teh Sux0rs. Sega RULEZZZ!!!1

You don't want to know how distraught I was when Sega pulled the plug on my recently-bought Dreamcast.

I'm not much of a console gamer anymore, but the Wii looks very innovative, certainly very different to the 360 and PS3. The controller sounds great, but I'm not sure how it work in practice. It'll either be great, or annoyingly clumsy. I'll give it a try though.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-04-27, 15:54

If anything, this new name answers all remaining questions about the strange controller design.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-04-27, 16:01

I'm villing to bet a pint of beer on that Scott Ramsoomair is going to be all over this name.

¡Damned!

2006-04-27, 16:11

Heh. As soon as I read the first post I thought to myself, "Oh my, the guys at Penny Arcade are going to have a field day with this."

So it goes.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-04-27, 16:13

Yeah. Them too.

Maybe it's a clever scheme by Nintendo to get a lot of free viral advertisement?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-04-27, 16:36

I actually really don't mind it.

I hated "Revolution." Sure, it sounds super awesomely macho to the Nintendo fanboy crowd, but that's not who Nintendo is aiming this at. They're aiming this at the general public.

I like the idea of making up a short, iconic name. Of course, it would be better if it wasn't a slang word for a bodily function, but it's not a bad name.

"Revolution" was not friendly enough to be the final name for such a friendly console. Face it.

I think we're more upset over the loss of our precious "Revolution" than anything. Wii is fine. It's different - which, in these days of PlayStation 3s and Xbox 360s, is exactly what it should be.

Go Nintendo.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-04-27, 16:36

Gotta admit, it's much better than Viiv.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-04-27, 16:44

Yea, more and more I think it's a pretty good name. All said and done. It fits exactly with what Nintendo is planning for the console. The name is removed from standard console naming conventions, which are generally pretty corny(I mean 'gamecube'... 'x-box'...come on), it is simply, catchy, inoffensive and effectual. There's nothing wrong with it at all. The people that are crying about how stupid it is haven't yet stopped to realize that the jokes they are making are about as clever as calling the playstation the gaystation. Or for some of the slightly more clever, the masturbation station because you play with yourself when you use it.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-04-27, 17:18

Remember the firefox ad from this thread? That was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the name.
wecallitfall

2006-04-27, 17:27

whats next the Nintendo Shiit?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-04-27, 17:28

Wii... Viiv... aha! This explains everything! The eMac is being deprecated to make way for the iiMac!
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2006-04-27, 17:55

It's not a great name, but it's certainly better than Revolution, which is off-putting to everyone except teenagers whose cultural references go no deeper than Star Wars and its ilk. Wii is fairly clever, but not so ostentatious that it would scare off the commoners who prefer beer to wine.

Xbox is undoubtedly the stupidest name around: it sounds cheap, childish, too geeky and old-fashioned (Generation X), and the X alienates everyone who doesn't want everything saddled with "EXTREME!!!" connotations. MacBook is a fine, simple name until you add "Pro" to the end, but it looks like the MacBook that will appeal to me won't be labelled Pro anyway. I never liked the PowerBook name, again because shouting "Power!" is just silly. PlayStation is a decent name: the antonym of workstation, while also being descriptive and not so geeky as to be inaccessible to people who don't breathe computers. It also has a hard-hitting rhythmic thrust that enables the word to be delivered to great effect on TV ads, etc.

The worry I have about Nintendo's new console is that they are aggressively targeting the people who don't call themselves gamers, but is there really a market there? Gaming still carries a lot of stigma among adults in the real world, and probably always will because it's both unproductive and antisocial. Casual gamers would perhaps be satisfied with PC games, especially as nearly everyone already has a computer nowadays. But perhaps economic reality will give Nintendo a large market share considering the outrageous price tags of the Xbox 360 and PS3.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2006-04-27, 18:12

how is it pronounced...Wii

why or weee?

g
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2006-04-27, 18:13

Wee. As in weenis.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2006-04-27, 18:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
how is it pronounced...Wii

why or weee?

g
Did you read the first post of the thread?

thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2006-04-27, 18:24

i just think why is probably better....except you get the "why would you buy the Wii" remarks...

g
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2006-04-27, 18:26

A gaming console named Wii... This just comes to mind: WEEEEEE!
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-04-27, 18:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynical_rock
I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I thought of the exact same thing.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

2006-04-27, 18:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynical_rock
And scratt gets a starring role again!
omem

2006-04-27, 19:03

Most important of all, when will it be released?
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2006-04-27, 19:04

Considering it's going to be a full on demo at E3, I suspect just in time for this year's Christmas shopping season.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2006-04-27, 19:15

It only need three things to succeed: the price, the parents, the fun. Looks like a winner.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2006-04-27, 19:24

And so it begins.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-04-27, 20:28

Now GameCube, that's a cool name. It's the only new console I've owned, and the unified product image is quite noteworthy... the name accurately describes the device; a cube-shaped console that plays games.

The Revolution, don't get me wrong, still looks awesome. But Wii?

You ask me for a hamburger.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-04-27, 20:44

~Scene, A customer walks into GameStop~

Customer: Hello, I have a quick question.
Associate: How may I help you?
Customer: I was wondering when the Wii would come out?
Associate: Excuse me?!?!
Customer: You know, The Wii! I was wondering if I could preorder the Wii?
Associate: I'm sorry but you’re going to have to leave.
Customer: I just want to know about Wii!
Associate: I'm getting the manager!

~End scene~
rasmits
rams it

2006-04-27, 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium
~Scene, A customer walks into GameStop~
Please! All I want you to do is show me your Wii! You don't understand!

I wonder how Nintendo will handle their "touching is good" campaign with this...
Wrao
Yarp

2006-04-27, 22:04

So I brought up the topic with a friend of mine. He's a long-time Sega fan and is more or less jaded by modern gaming, sticking to zany and weird games, NBA games and Final Fantasy. I tell him about the name and his first reaction is "huh? what does it mean?" and I explain the idea behind the name and he says "hm, that makes sense". So I said "yeah, it's not that bad, people have been making pecker jokes about it all day" and he said "huh? how?" and I said "oh you know, stupid stuff like "now I have to go play with my wee" and he said "wtf? that doesn't even make any sense, people are dumb"

I agrii.