User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

New mail sound doesn't play

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New mail sound doesn't play
photony

2004-09-10, 09:08

Mail used to work fine, playing an alert sound when I received new mail. Now it doesn't.

I added two AIFFs to try them, neither works, nor do the stock sounds. But, if I go to Mail preferences, a whole list (the usual sounds) shows up and will play if I choose them, but then no sound plays when I actually GET new mail. Preferences are all set properly to the best of my knowledge, it used to work fine.

Setting a rule does nothing, I can set one to bounce the icon and play a sound, the sound never plays, even with the dock icon doing jumping jacks.

Anyone have any ideas on this?
photony

2004-09-14, 13:38

I guess I'm alone here with this problem. I posted it on Apple's support forum, and many have this problem.

curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-09-14, 13:48

The ubiquitous troubleshooting 'try-me-first' suggestion would be to repair permissions.
Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility. Run DU.
Select First Aid Tab. Click nested icon of Volume (not HD icon above) in left pane. Click "repair permissions'.

While this isn't a fix specific to your problem, it is a generic panacea for misbehaving files due to incorrectly set permissions.

Which OS version and version of Mail are you using?
photony

2004-09-14, 13:53

Have repaired permissions (do that regularly), have run other disk utilities including Cocktail, nothing. I'm using OS 10.3.5 and Mail 1.3.9. Switching to 1.3.3 doesn't work for sound, either.

Everything else works fine, just no sound even if I set a rule. It plays if selected in the preferences, just doesn't play when I actually receive mail.It's not the worst thing in the world, I just like everything to function properly.I'd try reinstalling mail if I knew how...

-Tony