MC: beta 1.8 - Exciting Times
Page 9 of 12 First Previous 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12  Next Thread Tools
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-09-12, 22:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
I am seeing some strangeness with the terrain generation: perfectly rectangular volcanic plugs (or the minecraft equivalent), also.... i would prefer a mix of this terrain with its breathtaking mountains and the rolling terrain of the previous incarnation. Not every mountain has to be a holy shit phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
So I started a new world with the seed RowdyScot. Found this after a scary first night at sea.

So, following this up using blichte1 as my seed, I get a world that is, at least very near to the spawn point, devoid of tall mountains with rolling hills as I would have wanted.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-09-13, 00:10

That's a fun idea! I'm currently trying Creative Mode for the first time ever exploring "Captain_Drew" as my seed, doing my first flying... how addictive is that?? I found a settlement - had a 3 story tower, not sure if that's considered a village or a stronghold... it had a well but no people. Do any of them have people yet? I guess maybe not? The landscape around where I started was boring trees, but a bit of flying yielded some terrific giant shapes. I could fall on either end of the line on whether we wanted a lot or a little of them. Everything grows stale after awhile.... talk to Louis, from Interview with a Vampire ;D

UPDATE
I flew around this build far, far, far more than I may be supposed to do (is there some sort of unspoken (or spoken) law about how far you can travel in Singleplayer mode?) and I found THREE of these NPC villages.... so they're not entirely uncommon I guess... though the doors do seem to be "rotten" because they don't open, they just break ??

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

Last edited by drewprops : 2011-09-13 at 00:33.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-13, 07:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
though the doors do seem to be "rotten" because they don't open, they just break ??
In creative mode, anything you punch breaks. Be sure to right-click if you want to go through doors, flip switches, etc. without breaking them.
¡Damned!

2011-09-13, 08:19

New pre-release seed is up: http://t.co/A3aXYOG (Server: http://t.co/crs68nh)

A couple of new nuggets from jeb's twitter: Tundra biome won't be released until 1.9, mineshafts are nerfed (half as many) and notch is working on a vine nerf so they don't attach to everything and grow much slower.

Still looks like a new regen world for 1.9. Do we have a plan for this? I need to build something, dammit.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-13, 10:02

Unobfuscated URLs, please. No one should install a jar without knowing/trusting the source.

http://assets.minecraft.net/1_8-pre2/minecraft.jar - Minecraft beta 1.8-pre2
http://assets.minecraft.net/1_8-pre2...aft_server.jar - Minecraft server beta 1.8-pre2

I might try them later tonight. Work is hell right now (this week, this month), though... but I'll be damned if I don't make time for my addictions.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2011-09-13, 10:04

Ah, sorry. I copied them right from jeb's twitter - should've made that clear.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-09-13, 11:57

No tundra until 1.9?
I've got no problem playin in bp until 1.9 comes out and moving to a new map then...
Atariboy

2011-09-13, 12:08

So after 1.8, how long until 1.9 comes out? any ideas at all?

By the way, for a freaky-ass map, try Atariboy as your seed.
¡Damned!

2011-09-13, 13:57

Apparently no farming underground either ...

A farm must have "and unobstructed view of the sky" to grow in 1.8 according to the wiki (glass doesn't count). Hopefully that won't apply to anything but wheat, otherwise my trash-can-tree-farm is fucked. What a kick in the nuts that would be.

I think I'm going to have to pull out one one my video games I've been sitting on for a while since MC seems like it's going to be a waste of time until 1.9 and the new AN world thing is figured out.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-13, 15:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Apparently no farming underground either ...
WHAT? If true, that has to be one of the more upsetting, bone-headed changes I've seen in Minecraft.

I'll certainly be testing that one tonight.

How can Notch and Jeb not be aware of subterranean and hydroponic farming using artificial light? These are real. They exist and work.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-09-13, 15:47

Too much change, in too short a time, can harm a franchise by alienating its most ardent fans.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-09-13, 16:20

Or even, um, greenhouses.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-13, 16:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Well, I assume the "glass doesn't count" to mean that above-ground greenhouses exposed to sun through glass should be OK.

THIS TOO I WILL BE TESTING.

edit: The wiki currently says:
Quote:
Crops will only grow under the following conditions:
  • If they are receiving at least 9 (light)
  • If the crop can "see" the sky, i.e. crops will not grow if there is a block between the open sky and the crop (glass counts as empty) (as of 1.8 pre-release).
Crops do not need water to grow, however crops can also be destroyed if the farmland block they are placed on reverts to dirt.

¡Damned!

2011-09-13, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I think my greenhouse over at FM will still work, other than underneath the glowstone THAT I USE TO GIVE LIGHT TO PLANTS THAT NEED LIGHT and everything.

Fucking hell.

So it goes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-13, 18:01

OK, so, not only does the "wheat doesn't grow without sunlight" appear to be bunk, but also I've got grass mysteriously sprouting where it wasn't before.

Will post again if/when it grows to fully harvestable form.

¡Damned!

2011-09-13, 18:03

A wiki is completely and utterly wrong and spreads untruths faster than Fox News?

Thanks for testing Brad.
¡Damned!

2011-09-13, 18:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
... but also I've got grass mysteriously sprouting where it wasn't before.
Too much beef. I've heard about that happening (ask murbot).
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-13, 18:35

Quote:
Will post again if/when it grows to fully harvestable form.
The rate of growth is uneven, but otherwise this seems to work OK. One patch has reached maturity, and another is one step behind. All patches have grown by at least one degree.

Disclaimer: This is in an SSP world originally from 1.7, and I didn't realize until halfway through that the difficulty was set to peaceful. No idea if/how that may impact the results. All of the seeds were newly planted tonight on beta 1.8 pre-release 2.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-13, 19:09

More nails in the coffin. These were planted in SMP 1.8pre2 deep underground away from sunlight. Again, the map originated from before 1.8 (this is the farm area under Insanity House).

Once I prove this on a new map, I'm off to fix the wiki.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-13, 19:52

Brand new map. Underground ~20 blocks and then off in a random direction until I hit a patch of dirt.

Wiki fixed as promised!

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-13, 20:05

Thx, Brad!

The quality of the wiki depends on the quality of the edits.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-14, 00:11

I think the thing I like least about this latest set of updates is I don't get to play in the same world as everyone.

Sure I have a server running on Beast now for my family to play. I've found three ghost towns in it as well as a few abandoned mines, but there isn't all of you.

No one plays on Lenny now really because we are all prepping for that world to go away so why bother doing much with it now.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to an AN world again.

Incidentally, Beast is running on an original Intel SSD and it runs great. Granted, there's only two of us on there at any one time right now, but at least we know it's doable.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-14, 08:29

1.8 is official now. Just updated my personal server with it and good so far. Had to leave and wasn't able to really test it out, but it's there for you to update now officially.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
billybobsky
BANNED

2011-09-14, 09:22

I think we ought to just play on the AN server with 1.8.

Yes we won't get all the new fangled geographic changes (except at the very edges), but at least there would be *something* to do... What say you?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-09-14, 09:41

I'm with you personally....though something will have to be done with the communal mob trap.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-14, 10:22

Quote:

Yes we won't get all the new fangled geographic changes (except at the very edges), but at least there would be *something* to do... What say you?
Sure, but only until beta 1.9 drops? When do we migrate to a new world? I don't know how many others feel this way, but knowing that Bridgeport, etc. are going away in the not-too-distant future, I've already become somewhat detached and have put any ideas and construction on hold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I'm with you personally....though something will have to be done with the communal mob trap.
Bah! Let the endermen inherit and take care of it.

Anyhow, the same old mantra goes for beta 1.8. I'll update the server once Bukkit and plugins are ready. @Craftbukkit has been reporting progress on the new build throughout the morning, and some version may be publicly available by this evening. I'll still be putting it through some tests before deploying on mc.applenova.com. So, stick with beta 1.7.3 if want to keep playing on the server for now.

A few choice tweets:
Quote:
Please be patient, it's a lot of work and we had no idea a release would be this soon
Quote:
The ETA is "when it's done". I can't be more specific than that.
Quote:
The source does not help us release at all. We were focused on making 1.8 better than getting craftbukkit out
Quote:
To give you an idea of exactly how much work this is: We're essentially rewriting Craftbukkit onto the new obfuscated code.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-09-14, 10:23

Quote:

Agreed. We should probably put a moratorium on excess exploration as well.

There is one tedious project I was working on by the rink. Maybe I'll make it a goal to finish it for 1.9 so it'll look finished for anybody that wants it for offline.

Although has anybody looked into what happens to 1.7 snow biomes when upgrading to 1.8? Do they stay or are they nerfed with the new code?

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-09-14, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Although has anybody looked into what happens to 1.7 snow biomes when upgrading to 1.8? Do they stay or are they nerfed with the new code?
I haven't tested this, but from what I recall about the world file format, the biomes are not saved to blocks/chunks. This means the new biomes will take effect and weather patterns will change. Old deserts and snowfields may now get rain.

billybobsky
BANNED

2011-09-14, 10:44

Quote:
Sure, but only until beta 1.9 drops? When do we migrate to a new world? I don't know how many others feel this way, but knowing that Bridgeport, etc. are going away in the not-too-distant future, I've already become somewhat detached and have put any ideas and construction on hold.
No doubt. I'd love to know if 1.9 is the last major geographic change because it would be utterly wrenching to have to do this migration twice in a few months... whatever, bandage off, ripped with more than a little flesh. But, yes, 1.9 should be our bright line in the sand for full migration (imo).

Quote:
Bah! Let the endermen inherit and take care of it.
it's all fun and games until they land on your head. their height is a problem -- what I need is more water.

Last edited by billybobsky : 2011-09-14 at 12:27.
¡Damned!

2011-09-14, 11:31

Quote:
Same here. I log in once in a while to measure old structure in preparation for some new ideas I've been kicking around for the new world, but I haven't built anything new and have completely given up on the museum.

What about the proposal I mentioned earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post

• Do the meta-chunk deletion* thing and back the file up up in a nice shiny box.
• When 1.8 drops lets live in the current world and use that time between 1.8 and 1.9 to do some exploring and get used to the new features (pre/post-1.8 biome weirdness and all).
• Start a new world when 1.9 drops (hopefully with some sort of overlap between worlds).
• Once we've settled the 1.9 world, pull the plug on the old.
• Provide the pre-1.8 backup as a playground for some of us that'd like to refine and continue on some of the old structures.
Even if we just back up the world as-is now without the meta-chunk deletion I'd be happy with that. I'd just like to have the file pre-1.8 world expansion so I can go back and do a few finishing touches to some structures and take some screenshots.

I agree with everyone that 1.9 should be our jump into the new world. Seems logical.

So it goes.