User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Final Cut Pro Academic Upgrading

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Final Cut Pro Academic Upgrading
Timjay15

2005-04-19, 11:27

Hi, love the site, first time posting...

My question is in regards to Final Cut Pro upgrades. I have FCP HD (4.5) academic version and sometime last year after the production bundle came out I was thinking of selling my FCP and buying the academic version of the bundle. I wanted to price it right so I called Apple to see if my FCP could be upgraded, the idea being that if it could be then I could justify a little more $$ in the price because the person buying would essentially be getting the same thing as the retail version.

Anyway, everyone connected to the store told me no, it’s impossible to upgrade an academic version of FCP. But after some calling around I spoke with a tech support guy who actually was on the team for one of the versions of FCP and he told me there actually wasn’t anything in the build that would prohibit me from upgrading my FCP academic to FCP bundle retail (version 4.5). I never did upgrade though.

So now FCP 5 comes out and the academic bundle is the same price as the retail bundle upgrade and they state clearly on the website you cannot upgrade from an academic version. I spoke to a guy and he said 4.5 and earlier just looked for a previous installation when you’d install it, but now it asks for the serial number of your previous version and therefore it will know if it’s academic or not and won’t let you upgrade.

So here’s my questions: Can anyone confirm this? That it is indeed impossible to upgrade an academic version of FCP HD to retail FCP 5 or retail FCP 5 bundle? Or conversely, does someone know for certain that it is possible?

Thanks for any help. Personally I don’t understand why Apple would want to block academic to retail upgrades. I mean, the reason why I’d do it is so I’d be able to make the jump the retail for good, you know?
Nitemeister

2006-05-01, 16:40

Hmm i'm wonding about this as well... anyone have an answer?
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-05-01, 16:53

From Apple's Final Cut Studio Crossgrade order form for Final Cut Pro 4 or HD (4.5), emphasis mine:
Quote:
You must have purchased Final Cut Pro 4 Retail (M9038Z/A), Final Cut Pro 4 Upgrade from Final Cut Pro (M9039Z/A), Final Cut Pro 4 Upgrade from Final Cut Express (M9116Z/A), Final Cut Pro 4
Academic (M9153LL/A), Final Cut Pro HD Retail (M9038Z/B), Final Cut Pro HD Upgrade from Final Cut Pro 1,2,3 (M9039Z/B), Final Cut Pro HD Upgrade from Final Cut Express (M9116Z/B), Final Cut
Pro Academic HD (M9153LL/B)
to participate in this program.
If it is normally Apple's policy to disallow upgrades for their academic editions of Final Cut Pro, it seems that they've made a specific exception for Final Cut Studio 5.1. You can get the full version of FCS5.1 for $199, but it requires you to send in your FCP disc with a printed-out order form (found on this page, look for your version number).

Addendum: Yes, I did just notice that this thread turned one year old almost two weeks ago. The information is still useful for someone, it seems.
Nitemeister

2006-05-01, 17:35

lol geez i didn't even notice the date- thanks for your prompt answer Spec!