User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Lossless Audio Files

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Lossless Audio Files
xionja

2004-07-19, 23:27

Hey I have a flat screen iMac and the latest version of iTunes, I just redid my audio system, I have a cord going from the head phone jack to an NAD amplifyer, and then to PSB speakers.

Its now worthwhile to import my CD's as lossless audio files, because I can hear the difference.

So, i'm re-importing all of my CD's (100+) into my computer, and its just so happens that one of my favorite CD's (creedence clearwater) has a few scratches on it.

The scratches were there when I imported it as a MP3 file, and it sounded fine, just a few scratches in a few of the songs. But now importing it as a Lossless file its all messed up, in the last few songs (where the scratches are) you can't really hear much.

Whats up with that? I turned on the 'audio correction' thing in the iTunes preferances, but it didn't do shit.

What's with the Lossless file format, does anyone know much about it, cause I couldn't find very much on Apple's webpage.

On another note. . . Does anybody here currently have their computer set up with the audio outside of the computer? I was talking to the guy at the stereo store, and he said that computer companys are extremely cheap with their audio parts, and what parts are in them get all messed up because of the electro magnatism of being around all sorts of other electonics. He said that most people who use macs for proffesional audio hook them up to separate audio parts, but he didn't know anything about it really.

I'm too lazy to put CD's in a CD player (though it really does sound better) so i'm still using my computer, but I figure if I can bypass all the audio parts in my computer then I can get the same quality as a CD player.

So yeah, is anyone an expert about this?
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-07-19, 23:47

In regards to the lossless format, from what I understand it's a method of compression that yields identical sound quality as that of uncompressed audio. It's like zipping, say, some files on your computer: They unzip to what they were before. So when lossless files are decoding, they have all the fidelity they had before.

You pay for it too, you generally only save maybe 200MB from the files sizes when compared to just ripping as AIFF.

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-07-21, 09:15

If you reimport it as mp3, it sounds just fine still? How about if you do it with AIFF or WAV? How about high quality MP3 or ACC?

It's obviously a problem reading it. Since when would magnetic fields mess up an optical drive that doesn't use magnetics, optical because it uses lasers. Only thing in there is the motor to move the laser, which if it breaks or gets mis-aligned, it probably won't even work.

As for computer parts being messed up by electro magnetic waves...not likely. You need a really strong wave or pulse to interrupt electronics (HD's and Floppy types not included with that statement)

<sidenote>LoCash, I like your user title! </sidenote>

Last edited by ast3r3x : 2004-07-21 at 17:04.