MC: 1.9 - C'mon baby, take a chance with us
Page 14 of 16 First Previous 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16  Next Thread Tools
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2016-03-21, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Wait, are we upgrading? What about our player inventory?
Inventory, ender chest contents. *Poof*

Didn't you get the memo?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-03-21, 22:15

Too late, sucker. Your inventory is toast like the host with the most. Should've finished your kid's homework in time!

Trimming is complete, and we should have a new seed now. I still have doubts about the generation of new overworld structures in areas that were previously already visited, but I guess we'll find out about that soon enough. I'm about to go wandering out to an edge to see if the new world has arrived.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-03-21, 22:21

Also, here are a couple of full pixel=block size overhead maps for reference:

the overworld 2016-03-21 post-trim

the nether:
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-03-21, 22:25

Hrmm... seems the server didn't want to take the new seed. Going to try something else now.

Don't try getting online for the next few minutes or until I give the all-clear or you'll probably get caught in a restart cycle.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

2016-03-21, 22:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Hrmm... seems the server didn't want to take the new seed. Going to try something else now.

Don't try getting online for the next few minutes or until I give the all-clear or you'll probably get caught in a restart cycle.
You may want to retrim. I did a little exploring along my southern edge after the update.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-03-21, 22:37

OK, I think I got it this time, and I see new and different lands over the horizons now! Happy exploring.

edit: yep, trimmed again just before I brought the server back up.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-03-21, 23:26

Ok, time for me to start a new map! It will go live once it's done. It will take a while but shouldn't be horrible since it is a trimmed world.

Also, why do people worry about their inventory? Trimming the world files is not the same as wipe and start over. Don't fret about your inventory being lost.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-03-21, 23:59

Interesting. I just logged in and everything is there.

I guess that's good?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-03-22, 00:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Interesting. I just logged in and everything is there.

I guess that's good?
It is the expected result. I'm guessing whoever made you think you were losing your pockets was just jerking you around. Pruning doesn't empty pockets, just a wipe and start over.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-03-22, 00:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bobsky View Post
Isn't she in college? Phi Beta kappa? Aren't these high school math?
Yes, yes, and yes.

Everyone has a weak subject, and Jess' is math. She failed her college-level math placement test, so they required her to take a prep course. She has a very difficult time figuring the crap out on her own, so I have been helping her through the year. Considering I was a D-student in math, it's been hard for both of us. However, she is a fighter and has worked her ass off to get through it. This unit, though, has been very hard for her to pick up (and for me, too). Considering the unit landed right in the middle of mid-terms, it was doubly stressful, so she put math on the back-burner while she studied for mid-terms, which means she is behind.

We just finished going back over the entire unit and reviewing what we "learned" to this point (factoring radicals) so that we can work into quadratic equations and imaginary numbers (which I flunked my way through in high school).

For two people who hate math, it's been quite a challenge.

Yeah, yeah, it's high school math (which by the way, I knew then I would never use, and have never used ) . Then, it's one semester of college math this summer and then it's NO MORE MATH!!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-03-22, 17:06

When you mentioned the quadratic formula the other day, I reached deep into the recesses of my memory and tried to recall it without googling. This is about as far as I could remember...

Considering that I haven't used the darn thing in at least ten years, I'd give myself a passing grade. The one thing I absolutely remembered without a doubt was the "something - 4ac" under the radical; the rest of it was pretty sketchy, but I could picture the "shape" of it in my head... like I knew there was something left and beneath the radicand, but I couldn't see what. Weird how things like that stick around in the old noggin.

I loved taking math classes when I was in school, but a few years into college, I really struggled through engineering calculus 2 and 3. That coincided with my "don't give a fuck" period and I dropped the ball on any more math. I kept all of my stupidly expensive calculus and linear algebra textbooks, though, and after graduating I used to tell myself I'd open them back up one day for a refresher. Hasn't happened yet! But they're still sitting RIGHT OVER THERE in the corner of my room.

I actually kind of wish I had a way to stretch those stills and apply some mid-level maths in my daily life. A few years ago I got to play around with matrices and FFTs for a brief problem-solving period at work, and it was a lot of fun. Those were good times.

Good luck, Papa Ken!

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-03-22, 18:36

Look at what Elysium found in the new post-trim world.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-03-22, 20:15

Wow, a desert temple in the taiga? Where is it?

Anyone go in The End yet? Should I start to make a map of The End now too? I mean, there is a reason to explore there now after all...

I'll ask about that in the map thread.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2016-03-22, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Wow, a desert temple in the taiga? Where is it?
Around x=-2210 and z=1627.

The best running hypothesis at this point is that this aberration is a result of the weird mixed seed data. If this was in a chunk that was deleted, but the metadata for it still existed in the world/data folder, it's certainly possible that when the chunk was regenerated with the new seed, the desert temple was just plopped into place irrespective of the biome.

Seems this is affecting other location specific spawns too. Ely spotted guardians near Cashout Cove. Grey spotted wither skellies in odd places in the nether. Surprising stuff! Honestly, I like it.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2016-03-23, 01:12

Been having heath issues here - mostly the bears. Multiple surgeries upcoming for all of us this year and the move in the next 6 weeks.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

2016-03-23, 08:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Around x=-2210 and z=1627.

The best running hypothesis at this point is that this aberration is a result of the weird mixed seed data. If this was in a chunk that was deleted, but the metadata for it still existed in the world/data folder, it's certainly possible that when the chunk was regenerated with the new seed, the desert temple was just plopped into place irrespective of the biome.

Seems this is affecting other location specific spawns too. Ely spotted guardians near Cashout Cove. Grey spotted wither skellies in odd places in the nether. Surprising stuff! Honestly, I like it.
Found another desert temple in an ice plains biome where there was one previously in the old seed, so I'd say it is pretty much confirmed.
¡Damned!

2016-03-23, 09:29

Confirming confirmation x4:

Plus I went to check on a few villages that were around pre-1.9, and:

Fun stuff!

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2016-03-23 at 10:08.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2016-03-23, 10:51

Wicked cool!!

Can we call this one Glitchworld?

kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-03-23, 12:38

Glitchworld. I like it.

That looks like some super fun stuff. I'll get back in there soon enough, but things aren't working out.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-03-23, 15:31

I'm all for calling it Glitchworld!

Sadly, I'm missing the mushroom islands. Any chance you can put those back Brad? Or I guess I really should ask if anyone else wants them back. I'm sure we can find more though.

I did build a stone/ladder point to climb back up if you happen to fall off. There is a monument near it too. It will show on the map because I added glowstone to the top of the monument so you can easily see it out of the water.

¡Damned!

2016-03-27, 16:58

Sooooo.... I can't beat the ender dragon alone – she's much too powerful now.

Help me NovaWanKenobis, y'all are my best chance at slaying the evil one.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-03-27, 18:19

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

To add to the math dilemma, the flu has struck the Scherer house. For the first time since I was a child, I have nasty flus to deal with. Perhaps this coming weekend?

Maybe. I don't know.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-03-27, 21:41

I will try to get on tomorrow for that. I have been gone doing family stuff all day and finally stopped on my couch.
Dr. Bobsky

2016-03-28, 07:12

If I find I cannot recall the quadratic equation (-b+/-root(b^2-4ac))/2a, I simply re-derive it... complete the squares you know...

I always regret not going deeper into math and pure physics -- I guess I have a doctorate in biophysics so that counts for something, but most of the math I learned was practically oriented to solving problems that might come up in research. and whatever real analysis and number theory you can glean from such treatments of the work has always struck me as just a bit less than i would really want to know. i've been focusing on understanding multidimensional topologies, and expanding the scope of my understanding and use of advanced statistics and matrix theory. but in the end, it isn't my day job and experiments gain a pressing value over the math...
¡Damned!

2016-03-29, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Sooooo.... I can't beat the ender dragon alone – she's much too powerful now.

Help me NovaWanKenobis, y'all are my best chance at slaying the evil one.
Fine. I will die a thousand deaths for y'all. Although don't be surprised when you enter the End and there's a dragon about. We need to kill 20 just to fill out the 'portals' to get to the outer areas in the the end, and then many more just because dragon breath.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-03-29, 18:04

This is the special time and the special thing will may come!

¡Damned!

2016-03-29, 18:12

The special time is now and the special thing will may come is my ass repeatedly handed to me.
¡Damned!

2016-03-29, 18:54

Heh. Bring it, oh beastly ones.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-03-29, 19:48

Who are their new Ender Dragons? Are you summoning them intentionally or are they going to spawn on their own now?
¡Damned!

2016-03-29, 20:40

Well, I had summon the initial dragon since we're carrying on with our old End. Her defeated, she spawned a new exit portal.

She also spawned an 'end gateway' which leads out too the new islands some 1000 blocks out. We'll need 20 of those gateways to complete the whole circuit, but there's a couple for now.

I may try for another one or two, if my armor is up for it. Interestingly, the obsidian pillars 'regrow' with a new spawn, so we get infinite amounts if we ever need it.

So it goes.