Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Ipod Shuffle not recognised by XP

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Ipod Shuffle not recognised by XP
buonarroti

2006-05-10, 14:50

Hi all,
Hoping that someone out there can enlighten me about a fix for my Ipod Shuffle.
Ever since getting the shuffle, it has only ever worked about 80%.
When it is missbehaving, it would show the dreaded green orange flashing LED after a music upload,
sometimes it would only seem to have only some of the songs that I had uploaded to it.

I never unplug it from the USB port until Itunes tells me that it is ok to and I seem to be doing everything else according to instructions.

until now, a system restore would do the trick and even then I have had the updater crash on me once.

This is the first Apple product that I have ever owned and so far it has not performed any better than any other b rate hardware gadget that I have bought before. The only difference is that it cost me heeps more than any of the other MP3 players.

This last time that the Ipod played up, I downloaded the latest updater and tried to do a system restore.
My computer came to a grinding halt. I had to unplug the Ipod and terminate the update process with the task manager to get things back. This all happened when I pugged in the Ipod after the prompt of the updater.
Following this the computer began to randomly missbehave!
I then restored an old clean ghost and started again (it was about time I did this anyway)

Now when I plug in my Ipod, it is not recognised by the computer at all. It just blinks the orange LED at me. The unit is showing as charged when I press the bat check button and if I switch it on and press play, it just gives me the dreaded green orange flashing LED again.

Does someone have any tips as to what I can do about this.?
Is this a known problem?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-05-10, 14:59

How long ago did you buy the Shuffle, your best bet may be to contact Apple support. I have had my Shuffle for four months with no problems at all, but then I don't use a PC.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-05-10, 23:37

Definitely contact Apple. I've had a Shuffle since last December, connected to two different PCs and now two different Macs, and I've had no problems with mine either. Get that thing checked out!

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
buonarroti

2006-05-10, 23:47

Thanks.
I bought my Ipod during a stop over in Singapore and I live in Switzerland. I have moved house temporarily at the moment and it would be a major headache to dig though boxes in search of documentation.
I bought the Ipod in march 05 so it is just over a year old.
does any one know what the warranty period is on the Shuffle. If it is just a year, then I neednt bother with a seach.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2006-05-11, 02:43

Unless you bought the extended warrenty then you would be out of luck in that area, since the normal warrenty is one year.
buonarroti

2006-05-12, 14:22

I did not purchase extended warranty. The guy who sold it to me did not even offer this.
Therefore does anyone out there know what the cost is to me if I am to get this unit looked at out of warranty?
Would it be not even worth my while to continue down this path (cost and hassle exceeding the replacement cost)
B
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2006-05-12, 14:59

No idea, how much it costs to fix, you could go into an Apple retailer and get an estimate, and the rest would be up to you. Apple dropped the price of Shuffles back in February so if a new one would be cheaper then that may be the way to go. I would buy the extended warrenty an iPod, considering how small and finiky they can be, not a bad product, but considering the cost it seems to be worth it.
buonarroti

2006-05-16, 10:59

Thanks for all the information. I am alittle dissapointed with the Ipod shuffle though since I was led to believe that they (Apple) produced quality products. It is my first Apple product and could also be my last. Style is not worth the money if it does not work. Do not know if I would go with them again with this experience.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2006-05-16, 12:16

Don't let one experience be the judge of a company. There are plenty of people on here who will tell you how great their products have been for them, myself included.

There's not a company out there that has a perfect product. There are going to be problems in some of them.