User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 120 of 222 First Previous 116 117 118 119 [120] 121 122 123 124  Next Last Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-01-15, 13:12

I think you owe me $800 just for linking to that crap!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-01-15, 13:20

I couldn't resist.

For the sake of my sanity/good mood, I'm just going to go ahead and assume it's simply a gag/hoax (although whoever it is seems to be making money from it, whatever the backstory/reason actually is).
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2016-01-15, 14:52

The campaign has already been taken down, probably for the best.

What an idiot.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-01-15, 17:14

But how does that work? Is she able to keep the $800 she raised?

How much did she spend on tickets?! What kind of $$ are we talking here?

I dropped a measly $2, for kicks and "what if?"...but not my entire paycheck and savings, FFS. Is that what this idiot did?
murbot
Hoonigan

2016-01-15, 17:50

Wow.

Quote:
Please help me and my family as we have exausted all of our funds. We spent all of our money on lottery tickets (expecting to win the 1.5 billion) and are now in dire need of cash. With your small donation of at least $1.00, a like and one share, I’m certain that we will be able to pick ourselves up from the trenches of this lost and spend another fortune trying to hit it big again! PLEASE, won’t you help a family in need. DONATE NOW.
Hopefully someone bludgeoned her and took the page down.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2016-01-15, 19:24

"Among the changes: Yosemite Lodge at the Falls will become Yosemite Valley Lodge; The Ahwahnee Hotel will become the Majestic Yosemite Hotel; Curry Village will become Half Dome Village; Wawona Hotel will become Big Trees Lodge; and Badger Pass Ski Area will become Yosemite Ski & Snowboard Area.”

http://www.outsideonline.com/2048041/who-owns-yosemite

That is insanely ridiculous. Not sure how familiar with Yosemite you are, but changing these names is like changing Lincoln Memorial or Empire State Building.

Humans suck.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2016-01-15, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
But how does that work? Is she able to keep the $800 she raised?

How much did she spend on tickets?! What kind of $$ are we talking here?

I dropped a measly $2, for kicks and "what if?"...but not my entire paycheck and savings, FFS. Is that what this idiot did?
I"m pretty sure she gets to keep everything that was donated to her. Donations are immediately put into the fundraiser's WePay account and they can withdrawl it, minus the 7.9% + $.30/donation fees.

Sadly, some people are more stupid than this woman and actually decided it was a good idea to give her money.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-01-15, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
"Among the changes: Yosemite Lodge at the Falls will become Yosemite Valley Lodge; The Ahwahnee Hotel will become the Majestic Yosemite Hotel; Curry Village will become Half Dome Village; Wawona Hotel will become Big Trees Lodge; and Badger Pass Ski Area will become Yosemite Ski & Snowboard Area.”

http://www.outsideonline.com/2048041/who-owns-yosemite

That is insanely ridiculous. Not sure how familiar with Yosemite you are, but changing these names is like changing Lincoln Memorial or Empire State Building.

Humans suck.
Yeah, but at least the new names are still tied to the place, and still make sense (unlike all the stadiums and ballparks getting the corporate names in recent years and losing all their old, traditional names).

These new names certainly beat Bank of America Village, 3M Lodge, etc.

It could be worse.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-01-15, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I"m pretty sure she gets to keep everything that was donated to her. Donations are immediately put into the fundraiser's WePay account and they can withdrawl it, minus the 7.9% + $.30/donation fees.

Sadly, some people are more stupid than this woman and actually decided it was a good idea to give her money.
That's the thing...as lame and idiotic as "Cinnamon" seems to be, the fact that $800+ worth of other lame idiots bought into the nonsense is somehow worse. Yikes...
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2016-01-15, 20:18

Quote:
Yeah, but at least the new names are still tied to the place, and still make sense (unlike all the stadiums and ballparks getting the corporate names in recent years and losing all their old, traditional names).

These new names certainly beat Bank of America Village, 3M Lodge, etc.

It could be worse.
Shouldn't even happen.

It just makes no sense how a 100 year old historic... landmarked building and park.... enjoyed by 4 million americans every year and funded and protected by Americans can be trademarked by a private contractor resulting in a name change 100 years later.

so stupid. DNC even successfully trademarked "Yosemite National Park"...... wtf?
Chinney
Veteran Member

2016-01-16, 11:58

Quote:
Lousy week for beloved 69-year-old British guys.

Alan Rickman has died at 69 from cancer. Didn't we just hear all this a few days ago?

While younger moviegoers know him from the Harry Potter movies, he will always be Hans Gruber to me. Every line he uttered in that movie is quote-worthy, and one of the best villain roles ever. He, not Bruce Willis, gave that movie its spark (and legs).

RIP. Here's hoping he's forever sitting on a beach somewhere, earning twenty percent.
He had a lot of other great roles. Truly Madly Deeply, Close My Eyes, Galaxy Quest, Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves (the only good thing about an otherwise terrible movie), Sense and Sensibility , Love Actually (one of the few good things about an otherwise pretty mediocre and maudlin movie), and others. I never saw a film where he was 'phoning in' his performance, even if the film itself was no so good. He was also - perhaps especially - a great stage actor. I saw him once live and am really glad that I did. He was apparently a decent human being as well - not an attention seeking celebrity. He was married (common law, then legally), to the same woman all of his life. I am sad that he is gone.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.

Last edited by Chinney : 2016-01-16 at 16:15. Reason: fixed typo
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-01-16, 13:55

Looking at his IMDB page, I realize I've only ever seen him in Die Hard, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and Galaxy Quest, where he was pretty much the best part of all these movies.

I need to watch more movies...
Chinney
Veteran Member

2016-01-16, 16:21

Alan Rickman died of pancreatic cancer. On a personal note, I will mention that my own father is now dying of this form of cancer. Rickman was diagnosed in August. My father in September. My Dad likely has just a short time left. Pancreatic cancer often has that timeline. Sad days for our family.

¡Damned!

2016-01-16, 16:40

I'm sorry to hear that, Chinney. With how close your family seems to be (viewed from an internet glass bubble) it has to be rough. Sending you good thoughts from the other side of the Lakes.

So it goes.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2016-01-16, 17:35

I've been wondering lately at what point cancer becomes a national security/economic priority. It affects everyone at all socioeconomic levels but there are so any instances where incredibly powerful/influential/important individuals are affected and money doesn't really change their destiny.

In the case of Steve Jobs..... what portion of Apple's cash reserves would have been worth finding a cure for cancer if it had been possible to do so within the timeline that he had.

Is this something that as a nation (or a society) we need to just pour resources ($$) in until we find a cure? What will it take?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2016-01-16, 21:04

Oh man Chinney, my condolences.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2016-01-16, 22:31

Thanks guys. I appreciate that. My Dad is approaching 79, and has had a good and interesting life, so he feels he cannot complain. I must admit though that I have been unprepared for this. Yes, he was getting older, but he was otherwise fairly healthy until this past summer. I was really hoping for a few more years with him.

It was my Mom who had been a source of deep concern, declining over the past 3 years with dementia, and who is now in a nursing home. He took care of her in her decline, and then visited her daily in the nursing home after she could no longer stay in their place. Just in the past few weeks he has been unable to visit her anymore, and she cannot visit him, and she does not really understand. Sad.

But they had many, many good years, and well-blessed lives, and I have been concentrating on the joy of their lives even amid the difficulty of these days.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2016-01-17, 01:29

So sorry to hear it Chinney.

I admire your positive focus - I know I'd find it hard to maintain during a time like that. My thoughts are with you.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2016-01-17, 12:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
Is this something that as a nation (or a society) we need to just pour resources ($$) in until we find a cure? What will it take?
You may not know this but Richard Nixon declared a War on Cancer over 40 years ago. He deemed it a national epidemic. We've poured untold billions into it ever since. I'm sure a lot of that was stolen or given to cronies but a lot was spent regardless.

I'm convinced that the secret to beating cancer will turn out to be more behavioral and preventative instead of taking some toxic prescription. The problem is that diet and lifestyle can't be patented and therefore isn't profitable.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-01-18, 18:35

Well good grief...2016 is shaping up to be quite a bastard, in terms of taking major entertainment figures before their 70th birthday.

Now it's Glenn Frey

I realize they're not the hippest, most fashionable music act going for some, but because of my parents, the Eagles - along with Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt and others - were so much of my younger, growing up days. Those records/songs were always on around the house, and before I discovered the Beatles (sixth grade in 1980), I knew about the Eagles.

If you were around, or grew up, in the 70's, that was just how it was...there was no escaping them (or Fleetwood Mac) if you turned on a radio. Personally, I view that as a good thing, when I see/hear what's out there now, topping the charts...

And my one cool concert-related claim is that I got to see them on the opening night of their Hell Freezes Over comeback tour in spring of 1994 at Irvine Meadows in Orange County, CA. My wife and I bought scalper tickets and it was a great night under the Southern California stars. The setting and music couldn't have been more perfectly matched!

One of my good, favorite memories from my years in SoCal.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2016-01-18 at 19:03.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2016-01-19, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by addison View Post
You may not know this but Richard Nixon declared a War on Cancer over 40 years ago. He deemed it a national epidemic. We've poured untold billions into it ever since. I'm sure a lot of that was stolen or given to cronies but a lot was spent regardless.

I'm convinced that the secret to beating cancer will turn out to be more behavioral and preventative instead of taking some toxic prescription. The problem is that diet and lifestyle can't be patented and therefore isn't profitable.
I'm not sure there is convincing evidence to support your belief.

But, you may very well be right.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2016-01-19, 21:48

Quote:
Well good grief...2016 is shaping up to be quite a bastard, in terms of taking major entertainment figures before their 70th birthday.

Now it's Glenn Frey

I realize they're not the hippest, most fashionable music act going for some, but because of my parents, the Eagles - along with Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt and others - were so much of my younger, growing up days. Those records/songs were always on around the house, and before I discovered the Beatles (sixth grade in 1980), I knew about the Eagles.
This is how I feel. The three bands my mom always played growing up were the Bee Gees, the Eagles, and the Beatles. We were going to go see the Eagles in Jax last year when my gran died, and it threw off all the plans. Now I won't get this chance...

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Dr. Bobsky

2016-01-20, 04:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by addison View Post

Those billions are why we have made amazing strides in public health, and indeed cancer treatments, in the last two generations. It may not seem like it but a lot of cancers that used to be terminal are no longer so. The fundamental problem is that lay people still believe all cancers are the same, that a single treatment will cure every person of every cancer. The biology speaks against that, and tells us also that cancer is part of being human, whether it is an inherited defect or one caused by viruses or ageing, cancer will remain with us forever; only the treatments will get better.

Still, Chinney, I am sorry about your dad. It sounds like he has had as good a life as can be expected, and is going about this terminal diagnosis with the best mindset. I hope you are able to squeeze in some last remaining memories of him... All the best!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-01-26, 10:38

Tips for successful campus activism.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-01-26, 22:33

There's some sort of "hands free device" joke in here, I just know it...

My only comment on this is: I can't believe it didn't happen in Florida.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-01-28, 09:05

Rapper believes the earth is flat, has photos and other evidence to prove it. And no, this isn't an Onion story.

A little knowledge - and a Twitter account - is a dangerous funny thing.

I don't always follow astrophysics, but when I do, I like to get it from a ninth-grade dropout.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2016-02-16, 07:26

Monopoly's latest edition suffers from Wii U Syndrome: Trying to replace the tablet you already have with a cheap, far less useful version.

Why can't each player just bring their iPads and download a Monopoly app for this?

And in an age of cheap big screen TVs and tablets, why don't we have touchscreen gameboards by now?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2016-02-16, 11:26

I play Scrabble this way...via the app. I've always got 2-4 games in progress, and haven't used the physical board in years.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2016-02-24, 11:02

I mentioned my Dad's illness this earlier in this thread, so I will mention the follow up here. He died early yesterday morning. I was there for him and it was very peaceful.

It is sad, but he had a full life, and I celebrate that.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2016-02-24, 12:35

Condolences, Chimney. Sad day.