User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Boot Camp vs Option Key vs Wired Apple Keyboard

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Boot Camp vs Option Key vs Wired Apple Keyboard
almost2mac

2007-10-30, 00:44

Upgraded from Tiger to Leopard on a Core Duo iMac, also plugged in a new shiny wired metal Apple keyboard. Previous Bootcamp partition was working fine and would recognize when Option was held down on the Apple Bluetooth keyboard. So I can go to Preferences and Control Panel and pick to startup in the new OS, which is fine, but I'd *like* to use the Option key.

I tried switching the wireless mouse and keyboard between the USB hub and directly into the computer, no discernable difference.

So what happens randomly is I will reboot and I can't type on the XP login screen but the mouse will work. If I click a guest account, the mouse and keyboard will both work. If I switch users, they both freeze like that account didn't relinquish control of them. Then another time, neither mouse nor keyboard worked and I had to hard reboot with the power button. The other day I got into the correct account and everything's working, but the next time I try, stuff freezes. And I still can't use the option key even though it seems I should have better luck with a hard-wired keyboard than with a wireless keyboard.

I'm thinking to run Boot Camp off the Leopard CD. Does Leopard have different drivers?

Is there a chance XP is still expecting a BT keyboard and it's confused?

I actually cracked open the plastic around the keyboard manual and it basically reads: "Yeah, plug it in and well...um...that's about it" in several languages.

It works flawlessly in OSX.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-10-30, 01:20

There are new bootcamp drivers on the 10.5 disc, not sure if they are any different than those in the last beta though.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-10-30, 01:26

Aside from them being called "2.0" instead of "1.4", no actual differences have been found, to my knowledge.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2007-10-30, 01:31

No... but it couldn't hurt to reinstall them.

Might there be new drivers for the "new shiny wired metal Apple keyboard" that weren't already in the previous Bootcamp installation?