User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

USB Problem? Intermittant mouse problem? Help, PLEASE!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
USB Problem? Intermittant mouse problem? Help, PLEASE!
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2007-05-23, 21:46

Ok.. New track on this one..

On my MBP all mouse functions work all of the time, except movement / tracking. i.e. scroll wheel / ball, clicking (left and right) work, but the mouse pointer sometimes freezes.

Movement / tracking works for about 15 seconds after I give mouse input a rest for a few seconds. Then it will stop, but all other mouse input (buttons etc) still work. Give it a rest again and it will start working for a short period.

I have tried all options to do with the track pad, including ignoring it, as I wondered if it had a dodgy connection and was interfering with mouse input. No joy there, the problem persists.

I have tried this with physically attached mice, as well as Bluetooth mice. So it's not bluetoth. Definitely a mouse, or USB problem. But it seems unlikely that it is a mouse problem as I have tried so many other mice which are good on other machines.

All other USB devices work fine also, including through to Paralells. So it's gonna have to be a pretty esoteric USB problem.

I am beginning to wonder if something is broken in my USB hardware. But that seems a stretch.

I am also looking for a way to re-install the MM drivers, in case they are borked. But I think this is unlikely also as the problem has persisted through two software updates.

Anyone? Anywhere? Any ideas? Thanks. (chucker where are you?!?!)

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

Last edited by scratt : 2007-05-23 at 22:26.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-05-23, 22:15

I've seen a bad connection of the mouse cable (at the mouse end) cause this issue... clicking the button or moving the mouse re-establishes the connection temporarily.
scratt
Veteran Member

2007-05-23, 22:25

Thanks, but this also happens with Bluetooth mice, and with mice that work fine on my wife's computer..

By a process of elimination it has to be the Mac either HW or SW. IMHO.

I have just noticed that my iPod (USB) also has problems with large files.. But that is such a common occurrence anyway, so I am not sure if it is related....

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-05-23, 22:27

My 17" powerbook has not dissimilar problems as well... i think it is software...
scratt
Veteran Member

2007-05-23, 23:31

Did you find a software solution? i.e. A re-install of drivers? or OS?

I am getting worried that my USB chips in my MBP are partially fried.. Hence my USB2 problems with the iPod and the intermittant mouse signals.. But still, it seems strange that everything other than the actual mouse tracking would work in that case, also that music playing etc. from my iPod is fine, but large files copies are not... Seems wierd!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2007-05-23, 23:46

Get out your Install Disk 1 and run the hardware test to see if it can find a problem. When given the option, run the extended test (boot holding down "D").

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
scratt
Veteran Member

2007-05-24, 01:15

Yeah. Done that. Sorry, should have said. Even so I am not sure that it would spot this in the HW test.
USB funtionality is fine in all cases, except large files to the iPod, and streaming data from the mouse.
I have to wonder if the nature of the data is similar in any way, but think most likely not.

scratt
Veteran Member

2007-06-14, 05:32

*bump*

Quote:
Jun 14 17:00:35 scratts-17inchMBP kernel[0]: com_vmware_kext_UsbDevice(0x4b01580)::start with device 05ac:1209@fd300000 -> false
Jun 14 17:00:36 scratts-17inchMBP kernel[0]: com_vmware_kext_UsbDevice(0x4da9280)::start with device 05ac:1209@fd300000 -> false
Jun 14 17:00:41 scratts-17inchMBP kernel[0]: jnl: journal start/end pointers reset! (jnl 0x3b66ad0; s 0x52a000 e 0x52a000)
Jun 14 17:01:13 scratts-17inchMBP kernel[0]: USBF: 18071.689 AppleUSBEHCI[0x3913000]::Found a transaction past the completion deadline on bus 253, timing out!
Jun 14 17:01:19 scratts-17inchMBP kernel[0]: USBF: 18077.689 AppleUSBEHCI[0x3913000]::Found a transaction past the completion deadline on bus 253, timing out!
Jun 14 17:01:25 scratts-17inchMBP kernel[0]: USBF: 18083.689 AppleUSBEHCI[0x3913000]::Found a transaction past the completion deadline on bus 253, timing out!
This is what happens when my MBP is trying to copy to my iPod. The copy process can be anywhere from 1% done up to 99% done! Very frustrating when you get to 99%!

Same iPod works on all my other machines, but not this MBP...

The error which ends in 'timing out!' just keeps going forever until I disconnect the iPod, and then all hell breaks loose as my Mac scolds me for not ejecting the drive!

Any ideas unix gurus?

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-06-14, 12:38

I have another mouse problem, if I may be permitted to place it in here.

When I come to plug in my USB mouse, which is wireless to a wireless base, which in turn is plugged into a Macally keyboard USB port, it decides to switch the mouse button operations- so left click takes on the role of right and vise versa. The problem is rectified by simply putting the mouse port into another USB port, but I am still semi-curious as to how (and why!) this is occuring.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2007-07-14, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
I have another mouse problem, if I may be permitted to place it in here.

When I come to plug in my USB mouse, which is wireless to a wireless base, which in turn is plugged into a Macally keyboard USB port, it decides to switch the mouse button operations- so left click takes on the role of right and vise versa. The problem is rectified by simply putting the mouse port into another USB port, but I am still semi-curious as to how (and why!) this is occuring.
Bump, if I may!
scratt
Veteran Member

2007-07-14, 21:56

double bump.. I still have the issues I report above also, and have found no solution. I am getting used to using the track-pad on that particular machine more and more these days.. Very annoying!

Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2007-07-15, 08:43

triple bump. Dammit chucker!