AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

I need a new monitor.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I need a new monitor.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-03-25, 22:23

My aging Sony G520 is about to die. When I tried to wake it from sleep a few minutes ago it had a really hard time. Technicolor flashing and swirls. It was really pretty. The arching sound was entertaining too. I asked my daughter to keep her eye out for smoke. I've been delaying this for a long time now anyway since I noticed the burn-in on the tube a year ago.

Anyway, it's a 20" 4:3 CRT and I'm looking to get something similar in quality in this one though I'm not as ridged about color on it like I was when I was much heavier into photography. I still don't want crap and want my colors better than average, just not $10k great. The space I have to fill is 24"x20" though I don't have to use all of it. Two video inputs are a must though I can figure out a way to make do if I had to. I really need 3 or 4, but don't know if that's even realistic.

I need to stay close to $400 but can go over if it's really needed. I think I saw some great prices on monitors on Dell's outlet, but not sure if I want to invest in a refurb. I want this monitor to last since it's likely to stay my main monitor until it dies. So any suggestions out there? (I have a 19" waiting in storage if I need to move to it for a temporary monitor while waiting for shipping.)

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2009-03-25, 23:18

I would get the 24" Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP. It's a little more than $400 ($519 at dell.com), but I think it would be well worth it. It has many, many inputs (DVI, VGA, s-video, composite, component) and a card reader along with a USB 2.0 hub.

I think 24" is the sweet spot. 30" is too big, and I'm kinda outgrowing my 20" Dell 2007WFP (IPS) in terms of resolution, something I thought I would never do. Image quality was a bang-for-the-buck I paid, though I don't know if Dell offers IPS-quality monitors at the 20" size anymore.

It looks like my 2007WFP has been replaced by the 2009W. Most comments about it, however, don't think it deserves the UltraSharp name. It now uses a TN-panel and the only things that it has in common with the UltraSharp brand are the height-adjustable and rotatable stand (which is awesome, btw), and the USB 2.0 hub. It even lack the multiple inputs that came on the 2007WFP (DVI, VGA, s-video, and composite).
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-03-25, 23:23

Yeah, I'll second the 24" recommendation. I have a Dell S2409W (actually mine might be last year's model S2408W). Its alright, it was cheap and I bought it to use with my playstation 3. Multiple inputs, DVI, HDMI, VGA, but only one of each. The panel is probably not the best or newest technology, but it has served me alright.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2009-03-26, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
...I'm not as ridged about color on it like I was when I was much heavier into photography.
Are you giving up on photography?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelmerguy View Post
...I don't know if Dell offers IPS-quality monitors at the 20" size anymore.
They offer a fantastic 22-incher though: the 2209WA. It uses LG's e-IPS technology, so it's very cheap despite having top-notch image quality. The one issue I see is that it doesn't have a DisplayPort connection. If you can live with that the 2209WA is gonna be near-impossible to beat without spending loads more.
¡Damned!

2009-03-26, 14:09

I'll throw in for the Dell displays as well. I have a pair of 24s and they're still great after a couple years of heavy use.

Also, before you pull the trigger, check dealmac to see if anything is going on with Dell. Seems like they're always listed and tweaking prices in one way or another.

So it goes.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2009-03-26, 14:29

Anyone had any experience with Gateway monitors? I have heard negative things in general about the brand, but saw a strong recommendation for some of their monitors in another forum.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Eugene
careful with axes

2009-03-26, 16:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
They offer a fantastic 22-incher though: the 2209WA. It uses LG's e-IPS technology, so it's very cheap despite having top-notch image quality. The one issue I see is that it doesn't have a DisplayPort connection. If you can live with that the 2209WA is gonna be near-impossible to beat without spending loads more.
^Listen to this. I just bought one and it's jaw-droppingly good compared to all other 22-inchers. The price is dropping like a rock too. 3 weeks ago it was US$299. 1 week ago it was $239. This week it's $229 and I'll bet you can still weasel out a discount from Dell chat reps if you're inclined.

No. other. 22". monitor. compares.

The runner-up would be the HP LP2275w, but it's an inferior monitor and more expensive.

Decent 24" monitors start around $600, so not close to the $400 spending limit.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-03-26, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Are you giving up on photography?
Not by any means, I'm just not involved with it like I was while in school for it. I still love the art, but sadly haven't been working it like I had in the past.

Thanks for the tips on the 22". I'm loving that 24", but a nice 22" at about $220 is even better.

Any other inputs?

As for Gateway monitors, they are really Acer monitor now. Literally.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Eugene
careful with axes

2009-03-27, 01:47

FYI:
Dell -10% on monitors coupon code (exp. 4/2) - 1Z829VM32T983V
israces

2009-04-05, 11:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
Anyone had any experience with Gateway monitors? I have heard negative things in general about the brand, but saw a strong recommendation for some of their monitors in another forum.
I was really reluctant to buy Gateway, but a coworker and I both got refurb Gateway 24" FHD2400 from Tiger Direct for $249 each a couple of months ago. We've been really happy with them. We were also looking at the Dells, but for under $250, we could not pass the Gateway up. They come up on Tiger's site from time to time, so look out for them. Do your research though, I think I read that the FHD2400 is better than the FHD2401 which is on there all the time. Good luck.