Password
AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

Low-tech Floor for Crawlspace

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Low-tech Floor for Crawlspace
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-10-12, 17:34

I need to clean up the crawlspace in our split-level so I can overwinter summer items and generally clean up the pile of crap dad had under there (the stuff that's worth saving, that is).

The crawlspace is roughly a 20' x 20' square, with half of it being about 18 inches beneath the floor joists, and the other half being about 48 inches beneath the floor joists - the earth has been carved out, to accommodate the lowest floor, beyond that crawlspace.

It's that "taller" space that I want to clean up.

To make it tidier I'd like to create a solid "floor" instead of the existing dirt floor.

There's no way I'm going to pour cement under there, but I'm game for using 12 inch pavers.

I would like to build a flat area using some 12 inch square pavers to cover an area about 5 feet by 10 feet.

The floor is a fairly hard packed red dirt (not really clay).

It's not a particularly moist space, but before I do anything I plan to stick a gauge down there to assay the typical humidity level,

From what I understand, pavers can act as moisture sponges, drawing dampness from the ground beneath them and spreading it into the air, increasing the humidity in a space.

So I am pretty sure that I am looking at laying down a moisture barrier before I lay down the pavers.

Been reading up on how to adhere them to concrete block walls, all of that jazz.

Here's the deal: I don't really want to cover the UPPER space, as it will be a pain to access.

I'm just wondering if there's anything I'm not considering with this project.

Last edited by drewprops : 2020-10-12 at 19:12.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2020-10-21, 09:49

I wish I had an answer for you, I've never seen a home in our province built this way. Everything tends to have a full basement, though I have been in a few with very low basements, just under six feet and dirt floors - Some smaller, old row houses in Toronto. Just about everything else has tended to be built with an approximately 7.5-8ft unfinished basement with concrete floors.

I think there are some wrap type products you could put down for the very narrow 18" space, but I'd not sure it's a good idea to install these right over dirt, you might need some screen/gravel first, then a vapour barrier, then some weight to keep it down.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-21, 10:41

Black plastic (I think 4mil) is the standard out here in the west. Goes right on top of the dirt and needs nothing to weigh it down, because it is protected from wind by the home. That vapor barrier is important. Put it down over the unused, shorter crawl space. How you are going to use the "useable" space will determine vapor barrier, walls, ceiling, etc.

So, what you gonna use it for?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-10-21, 12:03

Thanks y'all. I'll only be using it for storage of stuff for the yard, maybe some dishware, wet/dry vac, etc.

It was my inclination to lay fine gravel down in the space as an underlayment. Wondering how that would handle having a plastic liner between gravel and pavers...

kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-10-21, 12:28

It would handle just fine. You just want your vapor barrier to between anything that will hold water (dirt/soil) and the concrete/block floor. Just keep in mind that if you go with pavers, they need to be grouted/sealed or water could spill and will stand on the plastic between/beneath the pavers.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-10-21, 14:51

Time to research sealing pavers!

It ever ends.