Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Threads not marked as read

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Threads not marked as read
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-09, 18:59

How come when I read threads now many of them are not marked as read? And when I post in a thread and view the thread after that it says I have not read the post that I just posted? Everything was working fine until a day or two ago, I just hadn't said anything yet. Wasn't sure if this was an issue on my end or what.

I have already cleared my history, emptied my caches (both in my home folder and Safari's cache). So I don't think it's a problem on my end, but I could be wrong. If it's not a fixable issue that's fine, I just wanted to point it out.

Come waste your time with me
Naderfan
Queen of Confrontation

2004-07-09, 21:50

That's happened to me too. I just figured I'd done something to screw it up. Glad to know it's not just me.
oldmacfan
Veteran Member

2004-07-11, 10:06

I have noted this since I arrived, but since I access this site for different places I never thought about it. .com was always worse by far in my opinion. I actually like how well AN works in comparison.

Mile 1
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-11, 16:09

Yeah, AN is much better in this regard than AI, but I'm just saying that it worked perfectly for a few weeks, but than decided to stop working right. Haha. It's not a huge deal, but I figured I'd point it out in case anyone wanted to look into it.

Come waste your time with me
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-07-11, 17:10

Clear your cookies, too. That's what stores which threads you've visited. Of course, if you are loading the site from multiple machines or browsers, the visited threads tracking can not be kept in sync.

Everything is working perfectly here. If I see a problem on my end, I'll be able to investigate further.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Tiger

2004-07-15, 10:31

I have not logged in ... since this was in ai.org or something like that. so everyrthing should be pretty much marked as new. instead everything is marked as read. huh
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-07-15, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger
I have not logged in ... since this was in ai.org [...] everything is marked as read
There's also a timeout. After x minutes (15 is the default) of inactivity on your end, threads are marked at read. This is just the way vBulletin works and there's no easy way to "fix" it.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-07-15, 14:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
There's also a timeout. After x minutes (15 is the default) of inactivity on your end, threads are marked at read. This is just the way vBulletin works and there's no easy way to "fix" it.
For a while there, I would go to my preference page and see the 'unread threads' to which I had subscribed, at that location...because they 'stayed' marked as 'unread' there, whereas on the board everything would suddenly show as 'read' after I had spent x amount of time writing a post. Now I understand why.

Any way to increase the default time to 40 minutes? ...because it really is a pain when suddenly a whole page (of *unread* threads) shows that I've read all the threads. There are several posts made to me in conversations last week (that I stumbled over days later, by accident!), to which I haven't replied - because insufficient default minutes marked the thread as read, and then I forgot to get back to double-check it.

I'm not actually 'whining' about this, because I have learned to live with it. But if it's an easy fix (ie. 15 => 40), it 'would' be nice. I know you said it wouldn't be easy. So, no problem if it stays that way.

I asked for 40 minutes, because some of us write fairly long posts occasionally; and I, for one, am 'not' a fast writer.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-07-15, 14:41

i think 60 minutes might be a better period, as its a nice round number. Or, for an extra challenge, you could make a user pref.