How many members are there really?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How many members are there really?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-02-23, 12:34

So is it 7600-something (count on forum page) or is it 6900-something (count on member list page)?

A 10% error is unacceptable!

Kidding of course, are the missing 700 or so non-responders to the activation email?
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2006-02-23, 12:37

I seem to remember that we went through this recently (months ago).

Lemme search..
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-23, 12:38

Not included on the member list page are both Awaiting E-mail Confirmation (649) and Banned users (78).

So, yeah, that number looks about right.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-02-23, 12:46

This has probably been asked before... but a related question, why are there 3075 members with no posts? Why would all those people join just for private messaging or whatever?

You ask me for a hamburger.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-23, 12:48

That's a very good question.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-02-23, 14:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
...and Banned users (78).

That many?!?!

Wow, I thought maybe 5-6...10 at most.

Although if you factor in all the numbnuts who've come here, registered and posted spam and nonsense on their initial thread/post...

ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-02-23, 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0

That many?!?!

Although if you factor in all the numbnuts who've come here, registered and posted spam and nonsense on their initial thread/post...

Plus people with multiple bans
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-02-23, 14:13

I'm also surprised at the number of people "awaiting e-mail confirmation". I guess those are user created by spam-scripts, or people with really short attention spans ...
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-02-23, 14:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0

That many?!?!

macgeek2006 was banned that many times by himself!
Foj
Veteran Member

2006-02-23, 14:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz
macgeek2006 was banned that many times by himself!
yeah, but he was unable to control what he was doing though.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-02-23, 15:01

It's because he was a genius. Don't you know that all geniuses act like that?
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-02-23, 15:06

It'd be interesting to know how many users are actually using AN as opposed to those otherwise legit member that posted once then disappeared forever. Like that guy who couldn't
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-02-23, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana
It'd be interesting to know how many users are actually using AN as opposed to those otherwise legit member that posted once then disappeared forever. Like that guy who couldn't

Oh wow...even thinking about that thread still makes me laugh uncontrollably.

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-02-23, 16:46

Quote:
Oh my god... "hello, the"... I will never forget that thread. That's the only thread that's ever made me laugh as hard as the Chuck Norris thread.

@DMB: Me too. I think I may laugh all day now, between reminiscing about macgeek2006 and hello, the

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-23, 17:48

Quote:
Easy answer:

Code:
SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT(userid)) FROM `user` WHERE posts>10
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-02-23, 17:53

Brad, and where does that SQL goes?

Thanks, BTW.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-02-23, 18:14

Only I (and Eric and Murray) have access to run SQL queries.

Silly.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-02-23, 18:30

Ah that proverbial joke-

"Would you like a piece of my candy?"

"Yeah"

"Too bad." *eatiing candy*
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-02-23, 22:03

Quote:
Easy answer:

Code:
SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT(userid)) FROM `user` WHERE posts>10
For those of us poor blokes stuck behind the registered member moniker, you can just list the members using number of posts and flip through the pages until you find what you are looking for...

eh.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2006-02-23, 23:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
This has probably been asked before... but a related question, why are there 3075 members with no posts? Why would all those people join just for private messaging or whatever?
Could be that a few are interested in the cookies only--as in, keeping track of read threads, etc.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2006-02-23, 23:23

Yeah, I do remember this sort of question... here's a thread that's related

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=10224
Wrao
Yarp

2006-02-28, 03:56

I think most forums have a large amount of users that sign up and don't post or post once and never post again. The active user base is always far smaller. You have to register to search right? That's a valid reason to signup. Some people probably sign up thinking they have to sign up to view posts or something(people are dumb). I'm sure some people sign up with the intention of posting but never do. Also I wouldn't be surprised if at least a handful of signups came from much more ridiculous reasons.

The thing I like most about AN is that the core members that have been here since the beginning are a fairly tight-knit group(as far as internet groups go). So even if there were 10,000 other users, it still feels like a small community in a way.
SpecMode
Wait what

2006-02-28, 04:00

Regarding people who sign up thinking they have to in order to read posts...a lot of boards out there are setup exactly that way, so I suppose eventually some users adopt the mentality that all boards are setup the same way, and they don't think to question it. (I'm a network admin for a departmental network on an aircraft carrier...trust me, users can be and frequently are that obstinate.)
Wrao
Yarp

2006-02-28, 04:05

It's kind of like another board I used to use where there is a supporting member(donation) system. It's totally optional, but some users sign up thinking they HAVE to pay to read/post. It's weird how people can operate on the net sometimes. Likewise with that situation, supporters get a special private forum, and sometimes people will donate and never even know that private forum exists even though it's listed in the main forum lists, then they will post there a year later saying "whoa! I never knew about this place! awesome!"

people...
hiltond

Send a message via AIM to hiltond  
2006-03-27, 18:45

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but i stumbled on this while looking for something else:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
Quote:
That's a very good question.
Well I finally have an answer to an AN question. Everytime I have a question, someone has answered it, and recently.

Thank you all, especially Brad and chucker, very much.

At last, a post
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-03-27, 18:47

That post just made my day.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-03-27, 18:48

Oh, I get it ... never mind (need to read AND think before I post ...)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-27, 18:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiltond
Well I finally have an answer to an AN question. Everytime I have a question, someone has answered it, and recently.

Thank you all, especially Brad and chucker, very much.
Aww, you're welcome. It's always great to see positive feedback like this. Feel free to post again if you find you have new questions or something else to contribute!

On a related note, I recently toggled on the option to include banned members on the Member List page. So, the number there should reflect the "real" number of members a little bit more closely.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-03-27, 18:54

Quote:
On a related note, I recently toggled on the option to include banned members on the Member List page. So, the number there should reflect the "real" number of members a little bit more closely.
I guess it makes more sense that way. Banned members are members too, just not very good ones.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-03-27, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
The thing I like most about AN is that the core members that have been here since the beginning are a fairly tight-knit group(as far as internet groups go). So even if there were 10,000 other users, it still feels like a small community in a way.
We were just discussing in the mod forum how many regular members there actually are... that is, members who are here almost daily.

When I counted down the list of members with highest post counts, I discovered that we have about 50-60 members who are the 'most frequent' regulars.

It does make a nice little family, even though we have *thousands* signed up.