User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Delete Your Own Thread/Message

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Delete Your Own Thread/Message
JK47

2006-03-25, 16:51

Would it be possible to add the option to the Applenova forums to delete your own thread/message? Just the other day, I accidentally posted a double thread. There were no posts in the thread, and I would have deleted it on my own if possible. Other message boards have this feature. The vBulletin dialogue is:

To delete this message, check the appropriate option below and then click the 'Delete this Message' button.
Note: deleting this message will result in the deletion of the entire thread because this is the first post in the thread.

This feature would significantly ease the workload of the mods/admins if this feature was enabled.

Again, just my $.02....
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-03-25, 16:55

people could take advantage of that.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-03-25, 16:59

Yea. If people were allowed to remove their embarrassing posts, we'd have nothing to talk about.

Last edited by Ebby : 2006-03-25 at 17:10.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-03-25, 17:16

Quote:
Last edited by Ebby : Today at 16:10.
Ebby must have written something embarissing
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2006-03-25, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie
You mean embarrassing?

Ding!

faramirtook
A for effort.

2006-03-25, 17:37

I was also under the impression that posts are not editable after 24 hours, to prevent people from going and erasing all of their posts.

At least I think.

JK47

2006-03-25, 18:20

This feature would be enabled only within the first 24 hours.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-03-25, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball
You mean embarrassing?

Ding!

I forgive you because you have an Ice Age quote
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-25, 19:37

There have been plenty of cases where the original poster has gotten frustrated after embarrassing himself or being proven wrong about something that might prompt him to go back and delete the whole thread if it was an option. Since useful information may well have been presented by other members in the thread, we disable this ability. General users should not have any moderator control in censoring what others have said; that's what this feature would allow them to do.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
JK47

2006-03-25, 20:07

What if it was available only before other users had posted in the thread?
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2006-03-25, 20:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie
Actually, yes. I found a typo believe it or not. You'll never guess where.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-03-26, 18:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47
What if it was available only before other users had posted in the thread?
We still like to have it around, in case it can be used in the humiliation of the thread starter.

We also might delete it but not remove it so the mods and admins can see it, but regular members can't. Then we can make fun of the loser member in the moderator's forum.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-03-26, 19:07

I think perhaps the more senior members could be awarded this privilege. Veteran members usually post more responsibly and wouldn't likely abuse the power to delete old threads. But at the same time, they are less likely to need it in the first place. I can think of perhaps a thread or two I wouldn't mind deleting, but ultimately I don't really mind.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-03-26, 19:29

Yeah, I'm glad AN doesn't have such a feature... then it'd be too easy for a select few morons to regain dignity that they don't really deserve.

Note that AppleNova does have a built-in feature that disables starting duplicate threads in rapid succession, for which I'm glad.

You ask me for a hamburger.
Is it 1981?

2006-03-26, 19:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
Note that AppleNova does have a built-in feature that disables starting duplicate threads in rapid succession, for which I'm glad.
Yes, this is quite frankly a fantastic feature that all messageboards should have. I love this feature more than I would with, say, a child of my own.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-26, 20:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
I think perhaps the more senior members could be awarded this privilege. Veteran members usually post more responsibly and wouldn't likely abuse the power to delete old threads.
I disagree.

There's no good way to discern a "senior" or "veteran" member from a regular member. Post count doesn't work as a determining factor because it does not necessarily represent the quality of the person. Reputation doesn't work as a determining factor because the reputation feature is so rarely utilized and can be (and has been) abused to act like a sort of popularity contest.

The only decent way to pick out members like this is by hand, but such an effort would be fruitless as these veteran members would already know better than to cross-post and so forth.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2006-03-26, 20:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Reputation doesn't work as a determining factor because the reputation feature is so rarely utilized and can be (and has been) abused to act like a sort of popularity contest.
Really? I can't believe any Applenovian would stoop to those base levels in our little society.

*Checks Brad's reputation*
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-03-26, 20:18

Plus, how do people like me ever become senior members??

Psshh!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-03-26, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby
Really? I can't believe any Applenovian would stoop to those base levels in our little society.

*Checks Brad's reputation*

Well, specifically, I've dealt with users dinging others' reputations for no other reason than to be mean and spiteful. Also, a few times users have accidentally given the wrong type of reputation point to someone or the point and comment to the wrong post and user!

Generally speaking, the reputation system is okay. What I meant was that because it is unreliable, we shouldn't be relying on the reputation system as a means to pick out the good or bad people and then automatically give users extra privileges based on that data.

Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2006-03-26, 20:42

Ahhh! Just teasing.

I have finals right now and, burned out from an over use of intellectual critique, can only muster enough stamina to jab with jest.
Wrao
Yarp

2006-03-26, 20:42

I dunno, I think time spent on the forums+number of posts would be a fine measure. I can't imagine anyone with say, over 500 posts in 6 months still being unable to handle themselves properly on the forums. Well... then again, I guess we've had some twats in the past.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-03-26, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
I can't imagine anyone with say, over 500 posts in 6 months still being unable to handle themselves properly on the forums.
Look at me
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2006-03-26, 21:18

I think this all goes back to the idea that everyone's mom taught them when they were young; namely, "think before you speak." Senior member or not, I don't think anyone should have this privilege. If everyone is able to exercise some restraint and not post like an idiot (much harder for some members than others) than everyone should be fine. I understand that sometimes we may say things that we regret, or things that we shouldn't, but I don't think it's that big of a problem. As far as the senior members go, I don't think there's a problem with this at all, none of us are stupid, we've been hanging around each other long enough to know what we can and can't say and to know what we'll be made fun of for and what we won't be made fun of for.

It's no big deal to me, I don' think we need this.

Come waste your time with me
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-03-26, 21:55

Plus one thing that Jack wanted was that we would never actually delete posts. He always wanted the posts around. At best, if someone wants a thread deleted PM a mod or admin, and we can take care of it.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2006-03-28, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
...and we can take car of it.
What? You drive over it in a hummer?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.